Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 85
  1. #1

    Steelers GM Kevin Colbert scouting Big Ben's replacement?

    Sign in to hide this ad

    Ian Rapoport of NFL Network tonight said Colbert was at the Clemson vs Georgia Tech game he mentioned Clemson QB Taj Boyd. It doesn't mean anything he could be scouting other players like receiver Sammy Watkins because Sanders is gone after this season. Rapoport is standing by his source that Ben will ask for a trade this offseason because of Haley and Ben's contract status.

  2. #2
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    12,383
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    What if the Rooney's told Ben "we will get rid of Haley only if you take a paycut"? What do you think Ben would do?
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  3. #3
    I don't think Ben has anything to do with this, asking for a trade part, Steelers may be looking ahead though because of his contract.
    "One Last Look at the Way We Were"
    It has been home field to Clemente, Stargell, Bradshaw, and Harris. It has been watched paternally by Murtaugh, Rooney, and Noll. Truly it has seen more sensational moments than the most prolific sports fan. Each of those moments are recorded somewhere deep in its stands where the sounds of elated fans still echo. Soon it will be a memory. But oh what a memory it will be. Salute to the structure known fondly as the "Blast Furnace"

    -Three Rivers Stadium.

  4. #4
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    12,383
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    I don't think Ben has anything to do with this, asking for a trade part, Steelers may be looking ahead though because of his contract.
    But what would you say in my scenario?I just want to mention that Ben was on record as saying that it would have to be an "unbelievable" contract for him to even consider it. Also he said that he discussed it with his wife and she wants to stay in Pittsburgh too. I just think it's inCREDIBLY naive to think that you can just find Ben's replacement no problem. Do people think Brady will be easy to replace? I don't. I don't think ANY true and proven franchise qb will be easy to replace. I think it's highly disrespectful to Ben to suggest that we can just find his replacement at the drop of a hat.
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  5. #5
    Administrator TerribleTowelFlying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY/PA Border
    Posts
    14,373
    Twitter
    @TheSteelersFans
    I've thought for quite a while that Ben will get extended for a reasonable amount. Reasonable to the team I mean. Time will tell of course.

  6. #6
    Administrator TerribleTowelFlying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY/PA Border
    Posts
    14,373
    Twitter
    @TheSteelersFans
    Quote Originally Posted by blountforcetrauma View Post
    But what would you say in my scenario?I just want to mention that Ben was on record as saying that it would have to be an "unbelievable" contract for him to even consider it.
    Wait, consider what? I thought your scenario was taking a paycut to get rid of Haley.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by blountforcetrauma View Post
    But what would you say in my scenario?I just want to mention that Ben was on record as saying that it would have to be an "unbelievable" contract for him to even consider it. Also he said that he discussed it with his wife and she wants to stay in Pittsburgh too. I just think it's inCREDIBLY naive to think that you can just find Ben's replacement no problem. Do people think Brady will be easy to replace? I don't. I don't think ANY true and proven franchise qb will be easy to replace. I think it's highly disrespectful to Ben to suggest that we can just find his replacement at the drop of a hat.
    I don't think it has anything to do with thinking they can just replace Ben just like that, I think it comes down to dollars and cents. Rooneys probably know there will be some lean years if they get rid of Ben, they just might not have a choice.

    I don't think thats the case though, I believe all this talk is horse****, Ben will get extended.
    "One Last Look at the Way We Were"
    It has been home field to Clemente, Stargell, Bradshaw, and Harris. It has been watched paternally by Murtaugh, Rooney, and Noll. Truly it has seen more sensational moments than the most prolific sports fan. Each of those moments are recorded somewhere deep in its stands where the sounds of elated fans still echo. Soon it will be a memory. But oh what a memory it will be. Salute to the structure known fondly as the "Blast Furnace"

    -Three Rivers Stadium.

  8. #8
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    12,383
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowelFlying View Post
    Wait, consider what? I thought your scenario was taking a paycut to get rid of Haley.
    No. That was an imaginary scenario concocted deep within the recesses of my psyche. The quote you are talking about was from an article I read where Ben was discussing this rumor and saying that for him to consider leaving PA it would have to be an "unbelievable" contract. He said he "would retire before he would accept a trade" unless it was an "unbelievable" contract.
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    12,383
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with thinking they can just replace Ben just like that, I think it comes down to dollars and cents. Rooneys probably know there will be some lean years if they get rid of Ben, they just might not have a choice.

    I don't think thats the case though, I believe all this talk is horse****, Ben will get extended.
    Yeah I'm sure they would know that trading Ben would be throwing in the terrible towel for the immediate future but I'm in favor of keeping Ben for as long as possible to try and get another trophy in the immediate future.
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowelFlying View Post
    I've thought for quite a while that Ben will get extended for a reasonable amount. Reasonable to the team I mean. Time will tell of course.
    I don't know, TTF. Ben's got a wife, one child and another on the way. This will be Ben's final substantive contract and I've got a feeling he may be more demanding than many realize and will try to maximize his earning potential. I don't think he'll be offering the Steelers any discounts.
    "I think this is probably the best team ever assembled. They talk about the Vince Lombardi era, but I think the Chuck Noll era is even greater."
    --Mel Blount

  11. #11
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    12,383
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack 5958 View Post
    I don't know, TTF. Ben's got a wife, one child and another on the way. This will be Ben's final substantive contract and I've got a feeling he may be more demanding than many realize and will try to maximize his earning potential. I don't think he'll be offering the Steelers any discounts.
    On NFLN they said that no one is safe except for Tomlin and that even Troy is gonna have to play his butt off in these next 7 games if he wants to be here next year. Maybe the Rooney's have laid down that law that guys had better shape up or ship out?
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by blountforcetrauma View Post
    On NFLN they said that no one is safe except for Tomlin and that even Troy is gonna have to play his butt off in these next 7 games if he wants to be here next year. Maybe the Rooney's have laid down that law that guys had better shape up or ship out?
    Not saying he should be fired, but why does Tomlin ALWAYS seem to get a pass???
    "I think this is probably the best team ever assembled. They talk about the Vince Lombardi era, but I think the Chuck Noll era is even greater."
    --Mel Blount

  13. #13
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    12,383
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack 5958 View Post
    Not saying he should be fired, but why does Tomlin ALWAYS seem to get a pass???
    It's just the Rooney way I guess. BUT if 2014 doesn't turn out so well do we just REALLY tear things down from Colbert to Tomlin to Lebeau and all their staff? Do we then bring in Russ Grimm? Do we then bring in Whiz? I doubt Grimm but maybe Whiz could be a candidate.
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack 5958 View Post
    Not saying he should be fired, but why does Tomlin ALWAYS seem to get a pass???
    What would you like, 30 lashes? If they aren't going to fire him what are they going to do?
    "One Last Look at the Way We Were"
    It has been home field to Clemente, Stargell, Bradshaw, and Harris. It has been watched paternally by Murtaugh, Rooney, and Noll. Truly it has seen more sensational moments than the most prolific sports fan. Each of those moments are recorded somewhere deep in its stands where the sounds of elated fans still echo. Soon it will be a memory. But oh what a memory it will be. Salute to the structure known fondly as the "Blast Furnace"

    -Three Rivers Stadium.

  15. #15
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    12,383
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    What would you like, 30 lashes? If they aren't going to fire him what are they going to do?
    Make him wear a dunce hat. I think that would be sufficient.
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack 5958 View Post
    Not saying he should be fired, but why does Tomlin ALWAYS seem to get a pass???
    This will most likely be Tomlin's first losing season and the local media has been very critical of him. If Tomlin can't turn things around in the next couple of years he could be gone too.

  17. #17
    Senior Member biggbunch68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,906
    i think if ben cld get another 5-10 mil grn he wld take it

  18. #18
    Senior Member CK 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Yardville, NJ
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack 5958 View Post
    I don't know, TTF. Ben's got a wife, one child and another on the way. This will be Ben's final substantive contract and I've got a feeling he may be more demanding than many realize and will try to maximize his earning potential. I don't think he'll be offering the Steelers any discounts.
    This. Why would Ben give a discount? Without Ben there are two less Lombardi's in the case. He will get paid here or elsewhere.
    If you like the blues, I think we can... B.B King

  19. #19
    We are 3 and 6. With a good possibility of ending at 6 and 10. Have you seen Ben R win any games for us that we lost? VIKES and Raiders come to mind. Elite Qbs win these type of games. And a competent HC.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by CK 13 View Post
    This. Why would Ben give a discount? Without Ben there are two less Lombardi's in the case. He will get paid here or elsewhere.
    I think if the Steelers do get a discount, it will be in the $18M/yr range. IMO on the open market, he's a $20M/yr guy, no doubt.

    Look at where he is now. Sandwiched between Mark Sanchez and Jay Cutlet. Thats laughable. He's worth at least what Tony Romo is worth.
    http://www.overthecap.com/top-player...hp?Position=QB

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,913
    I don't think anyone is that naive enough to think that finding Ben's replacement will be easy. But they do have to do their due dillegence in finding a successor. Tying up a lot off money in a quarterback can have affects on the rest of your team. Look at the Ravens. After signing Flacco they could not keep some players and can not sign many free agents.

    Now look at Seattle. They have a "good" quarterback and has manage building an effective team around him and is not in salary cap crisis to do it. I'm not saying I want Ben to be traded because I remember the Kordell, Bubby Brister, Kent Graham years. But can you imagine if we can find a "good" quarterback and build our team back to where it was before we got Ben?

  22. #22
    I think this draft is loaded with QB'S....Some don't think Johnny Fooball will be a good Pro ,but I think differently....The schemes will help him greatly IMO...

    With that said he may be the 4th. or 5th. QB off the board IMO....even if we trade Ben,sign Ben or whatever ,the skill level at QB in this draft dictates that we take a long hard look at the QB position...

  23. #23
    I think we have SO much rebuilding to do and dead money going to have to be eaten that it will take us way into ben's final years. then we still have a money problem with him by then.

    will he be worth that money by that time? this is what the rooney's must consider. I personally don't know and could guess all day. just like the rooney's.

    we can be bad with or without ben. someone was talking about lean years, well we are seeing lean years and he's still on the team. the problem being, we are not going to all of a sudden with a few draft picks rebuild a championship team in a couple of years around ben, and he is not enough alone to do it. he will be taking up 1/6 of the money, for less than 1/6 of the fix by 2016 or 2017.

    at that age with the pounding and close mindedness that he requires, no OC will look good with ben unless ben bends a little too to build a new offense. ben needs a strong team around him like we had in his winning years. once those guys got to the place, where it was costing more to keep them around ben is when the trouble began. this is the problem the rooney's are faced with now.

  24. #24
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    12,383
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by mac daddyo View Post
    I think we have SO much rebuilding to do and dead money going to have to be eaten that it will take us way into ben's final years. then we still have a money problem with him by then.

    will he be worth that money by that time? this is what the rooney's must consider. I personally don't know and could guess all day. just like the rooney's.

    we can be bad with or without ben. someone was talking about lean years, well we are seeing lean years and he's still on the team. the problem being, we are not going to all of a sudden with a few draft picks rebuild a championship team in a couple of years around ben, and he is not enough alone to do it. he will be taking up 1/6 of the money, for less than 1/6 of the fix by 2016 or 2017.

    at that age with the pounding and close mindedness that he requires, no OC will look good with ben unless ben bends a little too to build a new offense. ben needs a strong team around him like we had in his winning years. once those guys got to the place, where it was costing more to keep them around ben is when the trouble began. this is the problem the rooney's are faced with now.
    I agree that there are a lot of missing pieces. We don't have a nose tackle that can stop the run like Casey did. We don't have a stud lb that could kill the qb like Harrison could. We don't have a strong enough secondary to let Troy be Troy. We don't have a true #1 WR that can play physical and not get jammed at the LOS. We don't have an o-line that can protect ANY qb and what would be the point of getting a young kid that might even be a stud out of the gate and then sticking him behind this ridiculous line and getting him injured before his career can even take off. Our best Tight End probably of all time is getting old as well. We MIGHT have a true rb now but again behind this line what can he do either? There definitely are many many holes. Man I really wish you would quit causing me to think. LOL.
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by mac daddyo View Post
    I think we have SO much rebuilding to do and dead money going to have to be eaten that it will take us way into ben's final years. then we still have a money problem with him by then.

    will he be worth that money by that time? this is what the rooney's must consider. I personally don't know and could guess all day. just like the rooney's.

    we can be bad with or without ben. someone was talking about lean years, well we are seeing lean years and he's still on the team. the problem being, we are not going to all of a sudden with a few draft picks rebuild a championship team in a couple of years around ben, and he is not enough alone to do it. he will be taking up 1/6 of the money, for less than 1/6 of the fix by 2016 or 2017.

    at that age with the pounding and close mindedness that he requires, no OC will look good with ben unless ben bends a little too to build a new offense. ben needs a strong team around him like we had in his winning years. once those guys got to the place, where it was costing more to keep them around ben is when the trouble began. this is the problem the rooney's are faced with now.

    a lot depends on the value offered in the trade and what they think about some of the qb in the draft ,
    FREAK (IT)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •