1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert scouting Big Ben's replacement?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 14, 2013.

1. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Curious, what decisions do you think Tomlin can make? :shrug:

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    buy a ticket to cowher to come as a gm and be his b...h :hmmm:

3. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    just the coaching. I don't think he gets to make decisions on personnel, staff or players. we all know he was told he had to keep DL, and I think we all know he wanted to keep BA. I think we also know it was Art that brought in Haley. I'm sure he gets to offer input, but the final say isn't his. in all fairness, Cowher probably didn't when he started either, as both were new to the HC position. it's why him and Donahue clashed and cowher told the Rooney's it was him or Tom. HeII, just look at the Ben situation. Does anybody here really think anybody but Cowher would have decided Ben's future with the team if he were the HC? you could say the same with Santonio. It wasn't Tomlin that traded him for nothing, it was the Rooney's. Not saying they shouldn't have, but I think it's pretty obvious who's making decisions has changed.

4. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Not to hear Tomlin tell it. :smiley1:

I tend to agree on the Haley hiring (though there is proof to support both sides of that), but after that, I think Tomlin has had the main say in hiring his staff, I'll use Bicknell & Smith as recent examples.

I'd go as far as to say that since his 2nd SB, he has the primary say when it comes to non-drafted player moves. IMO "drafting say" likely started out as somewhere around a 30/70 or 40/60 split with Colbert, but again since Tomlin's 2nd SB it is close to a 50/50 with the Rooneys holding the tiebreaker vote (neither of which would be overly thrilled to have to use).

Suffice to say, this post-season will surely enlighten a lot of us. :eek:

5. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    I totally disagree ... Cowher never would have had the chance to make any sort of call on the Ben saga. On the Santonio saga, both would have likely been asked their opinions, but the final decision would have been out of both their hands.

6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    One of those pics for San Antonio turned into Brown. So I wouldn't say that he was traded for 'nothing.'

edit, I could be wrong. Im checking on that. Maybe someone can do it for me. :thumbs_up:

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Essentially. We traded the pick to the Cardinals for McFadden and the 6th round pick we used for Brown.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    True, but the outcome is irrelevant. It was a bad trade at the time and always will be. We should have got more.

9. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks. I knew that the pic was somehow parlayed into Brown.

10. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Regardless of what should have happened, they didn't trade him nothing like was stated. It turned out (by luck or by skill) to be a decent trade.