1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert scouting Big Ben's replacement?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 14, 2013.

1. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we can all assume ben is on his way out. this is almost identical to how the BA stuff went. first the reports, then the denials by Art, then out the door. i guess Art is determined to destroy this team, and talent does skip a generation. we may finish 2-14 next year, but at least we'll have a QB that hands the ball off 65% of time and throws 2 yrd passes all day.

2. virginiasteelerfan

Oct 16, 2011

very well said. one thing that's always amazed me about steelers fans is how quick they are to throw people over the side. this is tomlin's FIRST loosing season and people want him fired. unbelievable. did the same with cowher during those 3 years you mentioned. maddox, Kordel, hell, even bradshaw wouldn't come back to Pittsburgh for 20 years because of what asses the fans were. steelers fans are by far some of the worst in the league.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's kind of funny with the title of this thread "Colbert scouting bens replacement", because his scouting created the mess we are in now.:cool:

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I DISAGREE! I think WE (and presumably YOU) are THE BEST in the league and are some of the most passionate, loyal and knowledgable fans in the world!

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I want us to come out too BUT one thing to remember was ultimately it was a franchise qb that brought Cowher out of the rut and now we seem to be trading a franchise qb to bring Tomlin out of a rut? This is all just so bizarre. LOL.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    cowher had a chance to build his team as the last of nolls players left. shouldn't mike have that same consideration? maybe he feels he's won as much as he can with cowher's qb and wants his own for his own build.:shrug::cool:

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Did the colts make a mistake in letting Manning go and drafting Luck? What they spent on Lucks 4 year locked in contract was just 1 year of Peytons salary, business decisions play a role in when you let the old franchise QB go and draft a new one, in this QB heavy draft coming up, and with us possibly picking in the top 5 or 10 spots, is this the right time to pull the trigger on Ben, he does have a 17 million cap hit due next year????

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They let Manning go only after they had the #1 spot locked up. It was a no-brainer. As much as I like Ben, if Pittsburgh were in the same spot, I'd would probably support a decision to move him and draft Luck.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Same here. The Colts were in a completely different situation.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    different yes ,but they also had to take a chance on the kid. a near total rebuild it looked like at the time. added with the not knowing how long an older qb, no matter how good, would last knowing you would have to sink a lot of money into them. not to mention the possibility of one of the highest draft picks they have had since they got said qb. different yes, but eerily similar.

:cool:

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Whose to say there isn't another Luck in this draft who isn't going to be a 1 pick, but the colts also rebuilt their team at the same time and went to the playoffs the following year, so it wasn't all Andrew luck, in fact he threw 20 picks in his first year and the players they brought in made a big difference, there are some QBs in this draft I wouldn't mind drafting and start a new era......

12. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Peyton was broken. Physically. There were real concerns about him ever being able to play again. Ben is healthy. Although he does take hits and always seems to be in danger, there is no imminent threat of him never being able to play again. Not to mention that Indy had the #1 pick locked up, so Luck was there for the taking. Pittsburgh is guaranteed nothing in the coming draft unless they lose every game from here on out and more than a few other teams win at least 2 of theirs. Other than deciding what to do with paying a 30 something quarterback (something that every franchise eventually deals with), there are no similarities.

13. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Still a different situation than Pittsburgh. Luck was the most highly touted QB to come out of college since Peyton Manning himself. I haven't heard of anyone in this years draft that is anywhere near Luck's status. And if they are, Pittsburgh will be picking way too high to have a chance at him.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and the Colts didn't have NEAR as many question marks across the board as we do at this point. Also Luck was a really special story. The same as peyton pretty much. His dad was an NFL qb and he was basically bred to be one himself. Are there ANY guys in the draft with THOSE credentials? I'm not saying there isn't but I'm just guessing there aint.

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think you mean we will be picking way too low right?

16. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Low, high, its all a matter of perspective. :lolol:

But yes, low. As in not #1 low.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Alot of rumors about Coach T wanting scrambling type of QB'S...He made a pitch to Vick years back and he stated he thought about drafing the QB in LA...So I think Coach T is a fan of the Spread,Zone Read Pistol type of Offenses...

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't think so. He flat out said that he thought Zone Read offenses were "the flavor of the month". I think those situations you mentioned speak more to his desire to mentor QB's with a troubled past.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. He also said something to the effect, we'll see how long coaches continue to send their QB's out to get killed.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    OH! LOL! I see now! Dang you! Go look at my "harvard" thread in the Watercooler. I think of 1 as higher than 32. Go figure.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, he did have a 13-3 season and then a 10-5-1 season following those 3 awful ones before Ben showed up. Incidentally, the season before we drafted Ben we had yet another 6-10 record but we've never seen losing like we are now under Tomlin, fans are funny! I guarantee you everything being said about Tomlin was being said about Cowher :lolol:

I agree with you guys, some Superman leaps being made with that comparison. (oh Lord, I mentioned Superman, Blount should be rolling in here soon.)

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL!!! I think my opinion of Superman is very well and publicly documented. Well maybe...

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fair enough ,but he just might really like those type of QB'S...I don't thibk he wants a QB to be running all the time,but he might just have a little Love for the flavor of the month,,,esp. if he could get a QB WHO COULD RUN IT...

sO WE REALLY DON'T KNOW UNTIL WE SEE WHAT TYPE OF qb

24. virginiasteelerfan

Oct 16, 2011

that's a lot different though. Peyton had maybe 2 years left, ben a lot more. and the colts had the chance to draft what is/was supposed to be the next Peyton Manning. Steelers aren't going to be drafting first overall, and even if they were there isn't a Luck on the board.

25. virginiasteelerfan

Oct 16, 2011

Colbert was never anything more than Cowhers b***h. I think that's a lot of the problem now. He isn't, and never was, a good GM. when Bill ran Donahue out he pretty much took over everything. I don't think Tomlin has that authority. I think the Rooney's are letting Colbert be a GM and he's failing miserably. for example, if Cowher were still running the team he would have fired Haley after 1 season like he did gilbride. I think Tomlin would like to, but I don't think it's his call.