1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense defnse defense

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 29, 2015.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have 8 picks in this draft, and I say 5 or 6 should be used on defense IMO. They need depth at CB, OLB, and DE also could use another safety Will Allen can't play forever. Draft 2 CBs and 2 OLBs for sure and let them compete for jobs. No more wasted mid round picks on QB Landry Jones and scatback Archer :facepalm:

2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I can definitely live with that! I still see our pick at #22 trade down-worthy if there are any suitors. Would be nice to pick up an extra 3rd rounder

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd be ok with 5 defense and 3 offense.

I think OL, TE and Rb are on the table for offense picks.

4. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Part of why I'm hoping we can trade down a few is to get that extra 3rd rounder and maybe have the luxury of finding our next TE

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I thought I saw in that draft video series posted earlier (about the 2014 draft) that the one guy in the war room was fielding a call from another team looking to get the 15th pick. But Colbert denied it and made the selection for Shazier. There may be teams looking to trade up or get back into the first. There will be offers I bet, its just a question of how good the offer is.

If Landon Collins is on the board will Indy want to move up to grab him?
    Maybe Dallas wants to jump ahead of Detroit to get one of the RBs?

Could be a possibility if they want to explore that.

I'm going to look at that video again out of curiosity.

edit: went back and looked.. they were talking trade before but after the Bears picked Fuller, Colbert seemed to immediately make the pick.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If Landon Collins is available at 22, I'd be really shocked if he wasn't in a steelers uniform. But I'd probably be willing to trade back with Dallas if we aren't liking what's available at 22. I'm not a big trade back guy either, but if it's not too many spots back and we get a good deal I could live with it.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Based on what most draft sites are projecting, I am not liking pick #22. I think the best pass rushers will be gone, and I like some of the corners projected in the 2nd just as much as the 1st round guys. I'd trade up for Fowler or Ray, but I think both guys will be gone well before we even get into the range where our 3rd could be used as trade bait. I wouldn't mind DuPree at #22 based on potential, but once he goes I'd rather see us move down.

I watched a bunch of film on PJ Williams yesterday, and I think he may be the best DB in this draft. He actually reminds me a lot of watching Kyle Fuller's tape last year.

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would be tempted (if is available )to pick eddy goldman dt

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup.

Goldman, Phillips, and Armstead would be very tempting if on the board, and would be among the BPA. I think the best value for our spot is OL/DL.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Goldman is definitely tempting, but I'm not sure I see him as more of a fit at the 5 tech in our system (where we already have Heyward and Tuitt). He is definitely a good two gapper though.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah that's the problem with DL, when do they play? Tuitt and Heyward will be here long term, and McClendon is no slouch at NT, but sometimes injured. Do we spend a 1st on a rotational DL guy? We have some young length guys at DE, and McCullers as a DE/NT backup. For as much talent that could be available at #22 I don't see the room for someone that would justify a 1st round pick.

I've seen Phillips just dominate OL, but would he become lazy riding the pines in PIT, waiting for McClendon the leave?

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not big on a DT early but there are some good prospects. there are also some later and I still have big hopes for hemer this year. I like the lott kid from ten-chat. though I think it would be a NT-DE tweener type guy for us. anyone to get cam gone.:smiley1::cool:

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I liked Armstead after watching the Natl Championship game but after watching some more of him I'm kind of on the fence. Great athlete but doesn't seem to put it all together. The raw potential is there but it seems like he just can't get it all together. Great build for a tall guy and plays low for his height but the other parts concern me.

TBH not impressed with Goldman or Phillips either. Am I a nit pickin son of a gun or what, lol!!

Malcolm Brown is my only top guy for the first 1-2 rounds. All my other favorites for the defensive line are mid-rounders.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i don't know every dlinemen in the draft but i think would be easy to find one toclean the cam spot .. if only we would have kept mauro :facepalm:

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :this!:I would be all for that getting some extra picks, the Steelers have a lot of holes to fill and need the depth especially on defense.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    To me, this draft does not have a lot of Academy Award Winners but a lot of very good Supporting Actors. I think its why I for one, am having a hard time finding my favorite pick for the first round. I want to find the guy, hoist him up and say, "I really hope they draft this guy". If you look at the OLBs specifically, even the draft "experts" have mixed rankings between the supposed top five.

I'm almost to the point where I'm more interested in the 2nd-5th round picks as this is where your depth on defense will come from. I want the first rounder to succeed obviously, but I think this year specifically, the picks on defense in 2-5 MUST succeed to replenish some areas that are lacking.

17. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Same here. Usually, I have the dream pick. Last year was Mike Evans. Then I have 1 or 2 consolation prize guys. Then I have a few "I wouldn't complain about" guys.

This year, it seems like I just have a bunch of "I wouldn't complain about" guys.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think it's because we are all looking at defense, but better value may be on the offensive side of the ball in the first this year at our pick. lets face it last year was the first year in a long time we were pretty healthy on the o-line. have one of our starters go down and we are in a world of hurt. especially if beachum were to go down.

i don't think any of the olb types would step right in as a starter this year anyway.

TE is another spot that could bring some value. heath is aging quickly, but more so is spaeth can't really be counted on as the backup. his last two year deal we signed, we got about a half a year out of him. the second TE is pretty crucial to this offense, not to mention that will most likely be heaths replacement in a year or two as the #1 guy.

wr is solid but if AB were to get dinged up we would be in a world of hurt also. sure wheaton and bryant looked like they were getting better as the year went on but if they had to become the 1-2 receivers for any period of time it would set back our offense in a huge way. they are not capable of taking over at this point. DHB would become huge then but still.

corner offers some quality talent in this draft defensively, but it is also fairly deep with that same quality, so why force one just to do it early and just to get the same results. why do it when you can get the same results in the 2nd,3rd and 4th when you can't say that about TE and O-line.

there are also some hidden gems at OLB later in this draft and it seems like the steelers are looking at them. kyle emanuel for instance.

i will say one guy that is rising at the corner position and he's been in my thinking for a while now is byron jones. this kid could pass some of these other "names" before this is over. he could end up as the top guy or second cb off the board by draft time. then some drop.

i'd still have no problem with cam erving or clive walford if we went that way on offense first. quality for years to come at spots we need to cover.:cool:

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe we trade back 2 or 3 times . I can see a board where there is hardly nothing of value for us until like pick 35 or so. RB'S will have almost no value in round #1 which hurts when you are hoping BPA falls to you. OG'S have little to no value in round #1 , The QB class is not deep enough for 4 or 5 of those to come off the board before we pick .

This is why I say BPA draft approach is not a good approach in round #1 . OT,S ,CB'S, OLB'S, and WR'S are targeted very hard and heavy early in the draft . We are lucky we have hit at the WR position, but we really need those other 3 positions and we need multiple players at each of those spots.

I contend you have to be willing to move up for talent or have a plan to back up and get more guys to look at,we can't just stay and watch the talent go off the board and keep drafting BPA .