1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OT

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Does this mean we can get rid Adams/Gilbert?
    Who knows maybe the Steelers will draft Erving out of FSU
    with their first selection?

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would have no problem with that. the kid can play every position on the line. he was a beast at center

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not sure what this means except we have an upstanding, dedicated, head on right, strong, lean, focused leader of a prospect for munch to work with. erving would be nice believe me, but I doubt it. we could save a lot of money without gilbert and adams, plus most likely upgrade the position in time. we could also go back to having beachum as that jack of all trades type of player. I have high hopes for hubbard and I think they do too, under munch's watch. this could save more money with foster being replaced, whether by trade or otherwise. same for the other two. who knows how this could all work out. it does give us options if it does.:cool:

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we should play him at Center and move Pouncey to Center . Pouncey is better suited to play guard and has trouble with big strong NT'S .

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Enjoyed that article. He's got some raw talent, that's for sure. Hopefully, Munchak can develop that.

The part of that article that's mind-blowing is the fact that he can walk on his hands for 30 yards at 277 pounds! I've always been able to walk on my hands but if I could pull 15-20 yards right now at 230 pounds I'd be doing well. Of course, being 48 yo doesn't help my case either. Anyway, the dude obviously has some athleticism!

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Villanueva is a long shot, but sometimes long shots make it. If he's truly made it to 315 lbs. while retaining much of his athleticism, that's very encouraging. I am rooting hard for him. Don't get me wrong, I root for all Steelers, but I'm rooting extra hard for him.

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I dig the kid, and am hoping he breaks through! Tackle eligible would be icing on the cake with him.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree to all. his officer background and special forces training I believe give him the right dedication and mindset for accomplishing tasks, like building his body properly and learning his position quickly and totally.

failure is not an option type thinking in a sense makes me think everything is pointing in an upward arrow for this kid. that's good for us. and size? forgedda boudit. he's got success written all over him. throw munch in there and I don't think we can lose. :smiley1::cool:

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Move Pouncey to Guard.lol

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I still think hubbard will surprise a few people this year, after a season under munch. he was showing some improvement as the preseason went on last year. not perfect yet but the arrow was pointing up.

AV, hubbard, dr. Wallace, beachum, pouncey, DD, gilbert might be what we end up with. van dyke on the PS with another C/G type for the PS added. I got a feeling adams may get the boot if AV shows anything positive. of course gilbert would save more money, but I don't think KC will do it.:cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldnt that create dead money? I think they keep him though, I thought Munch did a good job with him, should only get better with another year being with Munch.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea it would create some dead money but we would save more than with just cutting adams. I think with gilbert like with cortez, there is a bonus to be paid. if it would come after june 1 it could be split into 2 years easing the lump sum. if we cut cortez and gilbert we stand to save over 11 mil.. the dead money for both would be less than 3 mil. we had colon on the books last year for 4.3 mil. so that kind of puts it in perspective a little better. both gilbert and allen are due roster bonuses and gilbert a workout bonus. I doubt they cut him anyway.:cool:

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A big part of what makes Beachum servicable is his technique. This comes from strong mental preparation and mind set. I would think Villanueva's past indicates he has the the mental aspect. Add to it athleticism and size, he should be able to do everything Beacum can do and more. Beachum is a valuable swing man at the least.

15. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanx again Mac, for shining some light, on the unheralded men, that play a big part in our success on the field!!

I know you`ve mentioned him before, but I forgot all about Tomlin taking him along with the team...

You wanna stay away from "character issues"?..

Ya don`t usually go wrong, with a former soldier.

And with his size, athletic ability, and versatility...

I don`t see how we could go wrong...

Give him another chance to work his way onto the roster, in camp...

I bet he makes it!!!

Plus, it gives us one "mountain of a man", on D(McCullers), and one on O...

Bigger is better, when bigger is not fat, and out of shape, and when I see Tuitt at 250+ lbs, 6ft+, chasing runningbacks down, 30 yards downfield...

I get goosebumps...

We could be creating a "monster" team!!!

On both sides of the ball.

That seems to be required now...

And I doubt if another roster would compare to ours, in terms of guys that size, that can actually run, and perform on Sundays, without looking like the weight and size is holding them back...

McClendon comes to mind, also...

He may not be as big, but he sure can get his weight past the center, when we are not asking him to be another Casey Hampton, and eat up 2 blocks in the middle of the line..

I don`t focus a LOT on linemen, when I watch the games, even tho I know the games are won and lost in the trenches..

It seems we have some good potential there, for the first time, in a long time...

GO STEELERS!!!

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no problem bleed. as in most years we have some futures guys that will be on the bubble, but this year I'm pretty excited about quite a few with legit skills to make this team and add some good depth or maybe more. I have some stuff on them in the futures thread that some may want to watch. some of these guys are like having seasoned, added draft picks.:cool:

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm sticking with erving if we go that route.:cool:

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My guy is Flowers . As he showed he is simply the strongest and I like that from my OT'S .

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so far erving is the 2nd best rep guy, but his versatility comes into play. it shows his athleticism and the kid has a lot going upstairs if you listen to his interviews. I like intelligence in my o-linemen. adding his physical traits and versatility puts him at the top of my list. he's been at or near the top of my list since last year. I like flowers and have seen a lot of him being a big Miami fan for decades, but erving I still think is the best on that board of o-linemen bar none.:cool:

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I give him some more tape then. If true talent is there at our pick then Tackle could very well be the pick. Say we get my guy or your guy and they are ready to start at LT right now .What adjustments would we make on the OL ?

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I've talked about this before and most won't agree but: erving would start at LT. beachum would go to RT. hubbard would go to LG. pouncey and DD would remain.

gilbert, adams, foster would get cut and save the money. villaneueva would be the new swing tackle. Wallace would stay as the backup interior guy and we would bring in another C/G type as a late pick or FA.

I think hubbards time is coming. I think they like the kid and I think he has improved under munch. he's got some decent feet. he was a LT all through college and he's making the transition. he's even practiced some at center. who better than to teach him but munch.

beachum has shown enough at LT that he could handle the RT spot even better.

now if any of this will happen is a large jump. we could however save millions in cap money with minimal dead money. why sign our qb to a huge extension to keep struggling with the same problems. we have about 5 years most likely to get it right. you asked PWP.LOL:smiley1::cool:

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    TY I actually agree with it.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this year .? you would start a rookie left tackle that play center /guard in his last season in college ?
    btw colbert will never cut gilbert he is not cutting allen that was horrendus he doesn't cut gilbert that was mediocre .. i still shake my head about our talent evaluators