1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Very Important Info About COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Jim90, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    That may be coming now. But they had no such policy in place prior to this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, need common sense to keep this from spreading. But also keep in mind that just 0.005% of the population has been impacted so if you use common sense we should be ok. Protect the elderly and vulnerable especially.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The problem is that regardless of whether only 1000 die in the US or 1,000,000 die, the damage to our economy and millions of livelihoods has already been done thanks to sensationalism by the media.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    There has to be a go-no-go on turning things back on and I am not sure what that is. I think the Netherlands are going fwd with this type of solution. Keep the most vulnerable protected and let everyone else get back to business with some added common sense and other preventative measures. The death rate is something like 1.5% which is better than all other countries. Not sure what the "normal" flu rate is but there has already been more people dying from regular flu that this China Flu. My county has 23 cases out of 918,000 people so I think we can manage this if everyone does their part.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Unfortunately, the suicide rate quadrupled last week....according to a verbal source...... and you turn those back.

7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    WV is now following suit with the mandatory "stay-at-home." I didn't think we were going to get to that level. But it's now hit our rural communities and I hear we've got our first case in a care home.

I am the system administrator for a large agricultural supply business, one of the largest volume dealers on the East coast. We are going to run a skeleton crew, but our business hasn't dropped off much at all. We're only slightly under projections for the quarter.

If all the teflon in our water from Dupont hasn't killed us, covid-19 doesn't stand a chance.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I haven't been posting much here lately because, well, I just don't have much to say. I do want to thank everyone who is considered "essential" for the work they are doing. Personally, I consider every job "essential" or else there wouldn't be a need for the job, but that is besides the point. I keep telling my workplace I'm not essential, but they seem to believe otherwise. Please everyone stay safe, stay at home, and make some babies or something! I tried quarantining myself with a good looking 20 year old. Unfortunately, my wife found me and told me that wasn't what the quarantine really meant. If I had a nickel for every time she spoils my fun...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The problem is that China timeline has likely been falsely reported. They have locked down the media even more than normal, but there is word coming out of massive creamations of unreported C19 deaths in Wuhan, and they’re quietly shutting down public spaces in their major cities even though they supposedly only have a couple dozen cases in those cities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I sure miss golf. So boring without it. I feel for the Letter Carriers, UPS, Fedex, etc. They have to touch so so much and interact with a lot of people.

My summer resort town is in a state of panic. We need that summer money. A lot of paycheck to paycheck people in my community and it's hurting them big time.

I have no facts but I wonder if suicide rates are up or if domestic violence has risen??????? I have two nephews who are cops and they are bored to death so that is a good sign I guess. No bars are open and not many cars on the road.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn’t trust the numbers of infected and death toll from China but all other indications are they have turned the corner on this thing. So unless it began before January, 2 months seems to be fairly accurate. I’ve seen footage that they have begun easing restrictions but who knows, like you said, it’s China.

Perhaps Italy would be a better model but they have a very large population of seniors from what I am hearing.

I’ve been thinking June, speaking for NY, we’ll hit the apex probably by May, then another month to get it to come down and hopefully can start easing restrictions in June.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
  14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm sure most have heard of washing hands and drinking hot fluids but here is another thing that could help. I saw two nurses doing it. One person stands tall and the other slaps his/her back opened handed all over for about a minute a few times a day. Supposed to loosen mucus in the throat area and send it to the stomach where acid kicks that virus in the ass.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is a great idea and it could possibly work for the media:drinks: Get them to STFU for a minute!

The ripple effect of this will be far worse than the virus itself. People aren't even thinking about the things that will result form this.
    1. Identity theft will sky-rocket.
    2. Hackers will have a field day with all the "work from home". Firewalls were never meant to support the volume of outside access. Payroll people are working from home where they access payroll stuff all day......like your SSN, bank account numbers and routing numbers for the purpose of direct deposit.
    3. Countless small to mid sized businesses will never recover, nor will the people who worked hard all their life to create that business.
    4. Terrorists are licking their chops right now because of how weakened our country is.
    And there are people who think the media is doing a great job!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I thought of the terrorist thing too. They could give a poop if they live or die. While our minds are elsewhere it is a great time for them to figure new ways to get into countries.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    When the world sees how easily the US sheep can be manipulated, all kinds of interesting things will happen. But hey, the media ratings are through the roof and that's all that matters:huh:

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry"-Don Henley

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
    Who comes on at five
    She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  21. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    My friend said we should be golfing again real soon and I asked him how he came to that conclusion, he said because it seems the media is losing interest in the virus:)

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    They will have to install twice as many ball washers though.............:rolleyes:

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree wit Blast about May and June.

It is looking that May and June will be critical for certain. I seriously doubt April is the peak period as it is too early to declare such a conclusion. May is where quite a bit of activity will happen; the explosive apex of Spring. That is where A LOT of people will be out doing what is permitted and contact is likely. Expect those results to pick up.

June should be where this disease begins to bugger off. How much so though is dependent on what awaits all of us in May. I hate to state this but the worst is well on its way. That said, mankind has weathered such events before and we can do it again. Hopefully when June comes, COVID 19s infection rate should taper off.

Stay strong everyone!!!

#HereWeGo!

24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Just an update my smart part of the world.

NB cases have ground to a near halt. Think we are around 150 cases although only 30 are active while the rest have recovered. Less than 20 were hospitalized. Currently only 6 in hospital. 3 in ICU. Zero deaths.

We definitely got through this as good as you could have I would think. We are under about as severe restrictions as possible and will be until atleast May 1.

Sounds like we will start opening up a bit but sounds like all our provincial borders will remain closed as well as the border to Maine.

• Like Like x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Helps when you have more moose than people ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3