1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlins terrible decisions could ruin Picketts development. 0-4 as starter?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 4, 2022.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The whole thesis aka "season defining" hinged on Pickett starting and winning against the Jets. If Pickett starts that game I think we win. Mitch got booed in the 1st home game and people chanted for Pickett. All of this was very predictable to happen again. Tomlin ignored all this and just botched the whole situation in typical fashion.

Pickett wins against the Jets and we use that momentum and maybe steal some games and go 2-3 or maybe 3-2 in the next 5.

Now if Pickett goes 0-4 as a starter... Fans and media could start turning on him. He's going to have the label as a loser. It could get ugly quick because looking at the schedule our next realistic wins is maybe the Colts or Panthers? He very well could go 1-12 or 2-11 as a starter if he plays the rest of the way out. That offseason is going to be real fun for everybody.

It was such an obvious clear cut easy decision. You give Pickett 10 days with 1s to get ready for the Jets and ride the momentum rest of the year. Instead, Tomlins like how can I make this as difficult as possible and screw all this up. Ahh I know.. Give Mitch 10 days to prep knowing he's going to get booed out the stadium. Gets booed out. Kenny gets 10 mins instead of 10 days. Lose our last real winnable game. Then throw Pickett to 4 teams that are a combined 12-4 this year.

DISASTER

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    80FD1EFB-84F6-4313-A06E-C30D9CF01100.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Another cry for help from SDIP

• Like Like x 2
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Only Tomlin could screw up a layup decision...

Benched back-up QB going out for coin toss LOL disaster...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    If you ever see me develop to the scratch of the surface like SDOT. you have my permission to come down to georgia and kick me in the lake.

8. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I got a benjamin on it if Trubisky was to start against the bills you would be crying the exact same you are right now.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Honest to God, Sdot, did Tomlin do something to your mother? Your level of hatred for the guy is off the charts! He's really not to blame for EVERYTHING in the world!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    upload_2022-10-4_11-54-11.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This guy has got to be a plant to drive up post counts? There’s really no other explanation for it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    All I would've said was I was right in that Pickett should've started and we win the game. But now at this point it doesn't matter. Seasons over. I laid it out in plain English "Season defining" Pickett must start the Jets game because we win if he does. Then maybe we could've salvaged the season and rode the momentum. Pickett plays the whole Jets game and maybe throws for 1-2 tds and runs for his 2. The whole narrative this week is different. But now morale is down losing to a dumpster fire organization going into a brutal 4 games.

Tomlin compounded a bad decision on top of another and it's a disaster. We lose. Has to stick with Pickett going into probably one of the toughest 4 game stretches you could ask for. We got our benched captain coming out for the coin toss. It's a complete mess.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Reverse crush? He hates Tomlin as much as some analysts love A. Brown!?

• Like Like x 1
  14. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    Although I always want the team to win, it's secondary to me at this point. I mean it would be great but I want to see Pickett and the offense make progress each week and stay competitive in each game. I chalked up this season to be a rebuilding/learning season. I like Trubisky as a person and starting him, to me was the right decision. The decision to bench him for Pickett was also a good decision as Trubisky after 3 1/2 games just wasn't cutting it and the team needed a spark. Seeing two quarters with Pickett I believe he offers more upside than Trubisky would in the next 4 games. We are going to learn a lot over the next few weeks.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    mason, mason, mason. i can hear the chants now. a savior is born. :rawk: :laughing::cool:

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll come visit you on a lake in Georgia and drink a beer with you if you like

But I’m not kicking you in I’m to old to get beat up anymore

I used to try to steer SDOT off the rumble strips back in the day but now he’s driving out in the corn fields

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This is where I'm at at this point. Yea it was the Jets, but we saw a spark of a running game. Muth was more involved, Pickens as well. With 20 some odd seconds left in the game I saw Kenny complete a pass then at least have a chance at a legitimate hail Mary...do I want to see that all the time??? Of course not, but the fact he was able to at least move the ball and give it a shot is something we have not really seen this year.

I expect rookie mistakes, but can he keep drives alive and get some tds? Every guy on O should be excited, but also aware that they are playing for a job. If indeed we are rebuilding..not something they will publicly admit..then do it with nothing to lose attitude.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    It's super important to him to get us to acknowledge his continued "I was right" statements. Most of it is conjecture, but it's really that important to him to feel "right."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Agree with this 100%. I still would have preferred to inject him into the lineup after the bye...but he's gotta be baptised by the fire at some point.

I'm not the biggest Tomlin fan...but people will find a reason to complain about his approach to the QB position. No matter how he handled this situation he was gonna take heat. It's why he makes what he makes. I think he actually played this as well as he could (all things considered...minus a crystal ball). Winning the Jet's game would mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. This team is a top 10 draft pick team...don't care who the QB is. That said...if you start the season handing Picket the reins...this doesn't align with the meritocracy approach of football purists--or with the ethos of yinzers...or the Steelers. Pickett needed to earn it (which he didn't in camp...he played well but didn't blow the competition away in my opinion)...or Mitch needed to fumble it to make sure when the switch was made the team was behind the change.

You could tell by the comments and body language, the players no longer thought Mitch could be the guy. Makes the change to Pickett easy. And the lumps that will be taken with the change to a young QB more accepted by your veterans. Why...because if you're a Cam, TJ or Minkah...this is the only guy who is going to give you a chance at a ring in the next 4-5 years. Regardless if you think Pickett can win a SB...He will be the only option for the next 4 years. If he's not "the guy" then that delays the opportunity to win an SB in the near future say...7 ish years. Missing on a QB is a death sentence for franchises.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Payton Manning lost a bunch his first year turned out ok , Aikmen was like 1-15 his rookie year , Allen lost a bunch also let the team develop see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was against starting him right out of the gate because the O line looked a little like a QB death trap in the preseason. The line has been improving, and that’s no longer a big concern. I would have made the switch in the 10 day gap between the Browns and Jets games, but oh well. I’m glad we’re giving him his opportunity now.

I’m not worried about losing affecting his psyche. I think he’ll have enough success to build on week to week. Our good coaching will ensure that he…. Oh wait, now I am worried…

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s gonna happen lol

85C32535-74AB-48DE-BDB4-281922CE1F46.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If you’re right and you know it why do you need approval from a bunch of people on a message board? I’m leaning more to he is trolling.

• Like Like x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It's obvious that he's married and this is the only place he has a slight chance of being right and winning an argument.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5