1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are we not signing a Running Back?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DukeDukeDaDaDa, Apr 13, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Helaire is a great receiving back....

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Can’t say I know much about the individual prospects, I listen to some of the draft build up but I’m not a college football guy. I’ve heard rave reviews about Helaire but I wonder if they are looking to take somebody that early, I suspect not. He certainly won’t be there in the third by all accounts.

I said earlier in the thread that I don’t believe there is much point getting another ‘guy’ in the fourth or fifth when they already have Conner and Snell. Get somebody special or something they don’t already have in a good YAC receiving back or just use the pick somewhere else IMO.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m pushing back against RB at 49 as well but if we were to take one ,I’d be quite happy with Helaire. He’s just one of those guys that you watch and think that he should be limited by his size and without elite athleticism and are constantly left scratching your head after he makes play after play.
    I wouldn’t be opposed to adding a RB as late as the 4th round if there’s a good one still available. There are a couple versatile guys like Bowden and Gibson. I’m not sure they’ll be around that long. There is also Darrynton Evans who @turtle and I have discussed. He’s a nice blend of speed and vision. I could see him as a upgrade to Samuels and Whyte and he brings something different than Conner and Snell.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A J Dillion with late pick.

5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    What isn't to get? We haven't seen what our RB's can do behind a competent line and competent QB. The only thing we really know about them is that JC is injury prone. We have little money and big needs, one of which is NOT, and I repeat is NOT, RB.

Here come the "if scenarios"...

1) If Ben comes back strong and the line steps up from last year's sleepover, the ground game WILL improve with our existing cast. No "bell cow" and we still are better off.

2) If Ben falters and/or the OL plays this season with a hangover, ANY addition at RB will underwhelm. "Bell cow" or no, we're not better off on the ground.

Either way, adding a RB with resources that could/should go somewhere else is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin needs someone to run the wheels off after he runs them off Conner. RB bellcow is a big need if we can get one of the best three.

We don't need 3rd or 4th rounders at RB, we have them.

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Remember DeAngelo Williams? That worked out pretty well. We need someone like that again, not this bunch of nobodies.

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Jaguars attempting to shop Leonard Fournette.

I wonder what they'd want?

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Probably at least a second round pick, and some later round picks too.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :roflmao:

Conner/Snell. They have two 4th rounders to pick up a back.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey TuRnDoWnForWaTT.

I hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

If Management is not interested is finding a quality back-up QB, they sure enough are not interested in finding a decent RB. IMO, the RBs we have are fine anyway. Staying healthy is the issue as you stated and yes Conner could be that guy. In the end, it is all going to come down to the QB. That is really where the buck stops. No Ben, or a decent back-up, then in all likelihood we will see a rerun of last season.

We have enough RBs each who offer something except for Edmunds. Personally, I like them in the following order: Conner, Whyte, Samuels and then Snell. Probably implementing situational football with the last three. As we know, most RBs will tell you that they need to touch the Rock "X" amount of times to feel comfortable in a game. The Lion's Share of the work then is going to have to go to Conner in that case.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The draft is coming up soon. Take a deep breath.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow, you took this social distancing thing serious. Some people are following the 6 foot rule. You seem to have taken the 6 week rule? :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Carlos de la Garza

Carlos de la Garza Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Well ,hello, i´m new in the blog and l like talk about the running backs, i think the best option to draft is Clyde Edwards, talking about the depth chart; i think Conner is a good rotation player not a 2nd running back, we can rotate Edwards with Conner because you know that Conner have a lot of injuries, Jaylen Samuels is not a running back, he only know how to catch passes but he can´t run, he get stuck with the guards, Benny Snell is a substitution player but we can change that mentality trying this season with him, Edmunds "sucks" i think he is too slow in the position and the form to watch it is in his first carry against the colts this season, guys like Kamara, Cohen, Mark Ingram or Nick Chubb would score in that play so i think that Edmunds is too slow and with Whyte we can wait until to Training camp and preseason to see how he grows. Why i don´t think that Jonathan Taylor is good to our team? Because he had a lot of touches with the ball in the college like 700 touches so watching Conner we can say we need to prevent injuries like the 2019 season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem with Conner is there really isn't any good way to prevent the injuries. I don't think the guy is out of shape. I think he just has the type of body that will keep breaking down. The upright, physical running style doesn't help.

Perhaps Tomlin can be a little smarter in how he uses Conner. Conner did suffer his worst injury of last season on a carry in garbage time, but that could have just as easily happened two plays into the next game.

16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Welcome to the board and I agree that CEH from LSU would be a big addition to our offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And we thank you for it:drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Draft one. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mad respect to you @Blast Furnace but acquiring Leonard Fournette sadly will not amount to much of anything. Granted, acquiring a former Top 5 talent for essentially nothing sounds all good and well but keep in mind that the new CBA allocates that all players currently under their Rookie Contract have their fifth year option money fully guaranteed. This is not including T.J. Watt's deal either; resetting the market all together assuming he has another DPOY level season.That alone is going to incur a tremendous amount of cap space.

Add in JuJu and Zach Banner and the Leonard Fournette deal, while nice, does not sound possbile. However, I will say this; Minkah Fitzpatrick did not seem too possible either and look how that turned out. This is not including that Mike Tomlin was present at LSU's Pro Day. Given how Tomlin likes familiarity with players and coaches he has either been in contact with, I personally would not rule him out overall.

.... I just do not think that the money is there to do it UNLESS both JuJu and James become the sacrifices for the acquisition.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Fournette has been used as hard as Gurley and as much as Bell was the tear before he held out. I'd be all for flipping him for a day 3 pick but realistically it's a 1 year rental on a guy that chewed up a lot of football in 3 yrs. Its risky like Ladarius Green risky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If I can get o e of the top 4 RBs at #49 I draft that guy.

If I cant and depending how the board fell I might consider moving #49 to get Fournette.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I just said it in the rb thread, he has been used and used hard. It would be a 1 yr rental on a risky player. If he is fresh and healthy he is a top back, if he is tired and worn down its Ladarius Greene 2.0