1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Steelers vs Chargers Gameday Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nope.

Keith Butler elected to put a linebacker on a wide receiver all game; the exact same approach he has done since the 2016 AFC Championship Game.

The talent is there. The scheme is incompatible with the talent. Therefore, to make that talent work, create a scheme that does.

That aspect is on Keith Butler.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So because somethings have been a certain way forever it will always remain acceptable. Wow I can think of a lot of things in society that used to be acceptable. I'd sure hate to still have that line of thinking in this world. And before you say it's not a accurate comparison , it is. Of course it's not a serious but the NFL has evolved just like society does. You are supposed to adapt. It's a copycat league but we are still using archaic schemes......because that's what we've always done.....lame.

4. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Not what we've seen the last three weeks. Keep holding on to the playoff hope, I respect that. Come back to me when the season is over and we'll see where we are. We're playing our worst football right now and this is not the time to be doing that. I would think that after last year when that 13-3 was a big mirage would keep people a little apprehensive about looking at our record to see if we are good or not. Last year at least four wins could have easily been losses and we looked like a 9-7 team in the playoffs instead of a 13-3 team. This year we should have lost to Cleveland in game one and Jacksonville three weeks ago. If we were playing in almost any other division we wouldn't be leading. Like I said, I respect your confidence but I don't share it right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah but that's the way we've always done it. So it must be right then,No?

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Linebackers have been dropping way back into coverage for years!

7. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    We've had OLB's dropping into coverage for many, many years. It's not something Keith Butler started.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nope.

As I stated in that thread and even now. If the scheme cannot maximize the talent, it is useless. On that note, the scheme displayed tonight is not the same one displayed every week.

Furthermore, not really using your draft picks and putting them in winnable situations does not help either.

9. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    They did something. They stopped doing what was working. Got conservative with the offensive game plan, with too many runs on first down.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly but some on here are saying its acceptable because we've always done it that way....smh

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Kirkland had 53 passes defensed in his career in Pittsburgh...

You know Levon Kirkland the guy they list as 6'1" 275...

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He also played in an era long forgotten no less.

13. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Oh, you want Keith Butler to reinvent football and come up with something no one else does and it's supposed to work and be unbeatable?

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The defense actually held them even with the gift TD to 23. They give up a punt return for another score. Do they give up the TD early without that no call on the false start? Who knows. If they don't get that punt return I know they actually have to try and drive and that's a possession that was taken away with that instant score.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not every game.

If we did that every game, quarterbacks like Blake Bortles should light us up no problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The story for this game was written way before the game was played. They need the Chargers to at least be close to KC. (with the KC game coming up) They need the Ravens to at least be in the picture for the AFC North. Who do you think they wanted to win this game?

That said, teams should be able to play through and win despite the calls and no calls.

A punt return and pick in the endzone that turns into a fluke TD? How do you gameplan for that?! That's a score that shouldn't have happened because it was defended perfectly!

17. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

I should come back to you when the season is over? I'll be working on my draft board.

I love Steelers football. I love the season, the draft, the camps, the pre-season where we get to see the new drafted guys. We don't have to win every game 52-0 because that's impossible.

Last year four wins could have been losses? So. Every year is that way. That's football.

This year we should have lost to Cleveland and Jacksonville? Except we won, shoulda, woulda, coulda. This season is not over yet. No one knows what's going to happen.

You don't share my confidence in the team? Because your expectations are impossible. When people set impossible expectations it's because they know that it's more likely that the thing they are supporting will not meet those expectations and that will give the person the one thing they want most of all, a reason to complain. If you can put down a $1 billion sports franchise that is a six time super bowl winning organization, I guess it makes you feel better about yourself. You are smarter than the Pittsburgh Steelers.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Do you think every team is running the same exact scheme as us? They aren't consistently using LBs to cover opposing WRs especially on the teams best WR at the biggest point in the game. It was a terrible matchup at the worst possible time but I guess it's ok because that's what we've always done.
    I'm not the only one saying this. Butler has been criticized for it by many sources. It's been a ongoing problem for years. I guess they don't know anything either.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    A Cleveland LB tweeted that their (Chargers) long snapper does that all the time and they pointed it out to the officials in their game and nothing was done!

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Cap'n Kirk was over 3 bills if he was a lb

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I heard he doesn't wash his hands after taking a leak either. Scumbag.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Agreed

Excactly, that's why I said you can't go by record alone to see how good we are. We weren't a good team last year at 13-3 and we're not a good team this year at 7-4-1. This team is the same as last year ecept this year we're finding to ways to lose the games we found a way to win last year.

Also, agreed. That's why I said to come back to me when the season was over. I should have said regular season, that was my bad.

Well, I don't think much of this was a fair statement to make. My lack of confidence has nothing to do with anything other than my judgment of what I have seen on the field this season. I don't think the team I've seen on the field this season can make the playoffs. It's a valid opinion. Maybe I am a bit more pessimistic than you'd like, but to say that I just want to complain is not fair. You don't even know me. I praise when praise is due and I gripe when griping is due.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Just saying the LS was moving the ball in an illegal snap. When they showed the first replay I noticed it. He did it on the second one as well.

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You do ... if that scheme send you home to clear out your locker every year. Porter and big O shouldve been replaced with K. Greene and Butler shouldn't have been the successor of lebeau. Lakes walked away instead of getting fired. They're has to be better def coord out there that we can pick up. Tomlin your career is depending on it

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh you didn't know. He's the resident psychologist. Just ask Heinzmustard....

• Like Like x 1