1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Keith Butler: Pittsburgh's Greatest Shortcoming

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Oct 1, 2018.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.... Hello fellow members. AskQuestionsLater here. Today, I am here to discuss and list the many issues regarding Keith Butler. Before I begin, allow me to, as always, begin with a disclaimer:

"These statements and opinions are not a representation of members or staff of TheSteelersFans Forum. These statements and opinions are only a reflection of the author and do not coincide with the viewpoints of of board members or staff members of TheSteelersFans."

Now, for some, this seems like a long time coming. In fact, this could be heavily placated on the loss versus Jacksonville in the AFC Title Game in the previous season. Others could even go back to week two against the infamous Chicago game. Me? I am going to take a much different route; the AFC Title Game that took place on January 22nd between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the New England Patriots. With that out of the way, let us turn back in time to truly observe where all of the current issues began.

"The New England Cataclysm: The Beginning of The End."

For those of us whom do not remember, the 2016 AFC Championship game was to be the one where Butler could further cement his status as the proper heir to Dick LeBeau. His coming out party. His "Rights of Passage". Sadly, for those of us that watched that game, that waa anything but. However, for those of us who have looked at the All-22 tape, there was quite the disturbing pattern; namely in the second half. Not so much the plays being called (more on this later) but the lack of adjustments and miscommunication.

What do I mean in particular in regards to the lack of adjustments? How about the passes that day in the short middle of the field to both Edelman and Hogan? How about the posts to Hogan and Edelman? How about the continued seam torture that Rob Gronkowski? By the way, all of the aforementioned was in that first half alone. In the second half? Worse; Patriots increasing their lead by 2 after dropping 17 in the first half and adding another 19 in the second. Of that 19, 16 of those points came in the third quarter alone; a lack of adjustments if there ever was any. So, where did the miscommunication kick in? As early as the third drive of New England's possession. Yes, you read that correctly;

Third. Drive.

Again....

[​IMG]

Ryan Shazier, then Free Safety Mike Mitchell, then cornerback Ross Cockrell and Bud Dupree; all confused and chief among them on that drive alone. This drive alone would end up setting the stage for the offensive evisceration to come at the hands of Tom Brady. After that third drive, it was essentially childs play for him; consistently leading New England either in Field Goal range or scoring. However, none of this might have happened had the communication been better. Sound familiar? It should. I do not have to recant the entire game as we all know the result. That alone is not the point of emphasis here. What is however, would be an undermining issue that would manifest itself greatly in the games yet played. The season yet began. Most of all, the challenges that lie ahead. Most of all, for Keith Butler, an important lesson had to be learned:

"Those who do not understand the past cannot grasp the present. Those who do not grasp the present are doomed for the future."

Did he take these lessons to heart?.... Well.. no.

"Insanity Breeds Madness: Amplified By The Irreplaceable Piece."

Heading into the offseason after that season, some of us were convinced; if Keith Butler could acquire one more piece, this defense would be set. If he could add another player, the defense would be complete. If that player would perform right out of the gate, the defensive woes could be mitigated. That the communication woes would decrease. That the lack of adjustments would be nugatory.

Throughout much of that 2017 offseason, I was much under that very level of thinking. I truly thought that, given the circumstances, the talent on defense and another year of defensive playcalling under Keith's belt that, much of these issues would be greatly decreased. I also know that I was not alone within this level of thinking either. Common sense usually applies in this sense; a defensive unit returning with that "key" piece and further corrections within the scheme, namely going more man coverage (more on this later), should be better than the previous season and thus be closer to bringing home yet another Lombardi.

Aspects again looked up twice; first nabbing T.J. Watt and then receiving the gift of Joe Haden just before the 2017 season. Nabbing that one key player and acquring reinforcements to further enpower those corrections meant that the defense was going to get better.

Again, this was the thoughts of some of the Steelers faithful; myself included. Well..

[​IMG]

Much of what many of us saw in that AFC Title game would not only return for an encore presentation but also mutate into something worse; something unfathomable as the season continued. In short, Keith Butler would begin to lose his mind; slowly and painfully.

Beginning with the "Chicago Collapse", more confusion and lack of execution would end up doing the Steelers in; surrendering 10 points in the second half after only giving up seven in the first half. What was most aggrivating about that games loss was not so much the lack of in game adjustments but a recurring fundemental error; execution. This occured during the opening of overtime when Artie Burns failed to fill the alley just before Tarik Cohen would take it near the goal line. This would then setup Jordan Howard for the game winning touchdown.

Next up was the return of an old AFC Central Rival in the Jacksonville Jaguars. While Big Ben did not assist the defense that day; commiting five turnovers, the defense fell apart, again, in the second half. After, and I stress the same point value, giving up seven points in the first half, the defense would end up giving 23 in the second half; 13 alone in the third quarter. However, how they gave up those 13 points in the third quarter is what is most infuriating. A majority of Jacksonville's drives were sustained mainly due to an efficient rushing attack, led by Leonard Fournette. Logic dictates that one adds an eighth man in the box to counteract this issue. However, while this was done to great effect in the first half, the second half saw more of a placement, rather faith, in the front seven alone maintaing their gap integrity and execution of the assignments as the passing game was becoming more open to Blake Bortles at the time. While Blake was completing passes for intermediate gains, the only reason why he was able to do so was that, again, the lack of adjustments reared their ugly head. Yet again, Pittsburgh drops one to an opponent that they should have beat.

However, Pittsburgh had come around and rolled towards a winning streak. Everything seemed to be going well until, on December 4th, 2017, Ryan Dean Shazier was lost for the Season with a spinal back injury. This would have unimaginable ramifications going forward. How unimaginable?

To begin, for those of you who were still filled with anger after the fall in New England game in the AFC Title game at this time and desired vengeance, once again, Keith Butler and the defenses ineptitude snatched "Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory" as opposed to the other way around. Even without Shazier though, Pittsburgh held New England to 10 points in the first half. Furthermore, much like those "corrections" being discussed earlier in the offseason, were on full display. However, just like the Chicago and Jacksonville collpases before them, lack of adjustments and miscommunication did the Steelers in the second half; New England receiving 17 points. Now, before I continue with this game, let me be more discrete in summarization of what the current trend is thus far.

- Chicago Game: Hold opponent to 7 in first half. Lose game in second half by allowing 10.

-.Jacksonville Game: Hold opponent to 7 in first half. Lose game in second half by allowing 23.

- New England Game: Hold opponent to 10 points in the first half. Lose game in second half by allowing 17.

Again......

[​IMG]

Better yet?

[​IMG]

Getting back to the New England game, the defense continued their usual showcasing of lapses and adjustments. Of course however and, much like that AFC Championship game, Tom Brady eviscerated the Steelers yet again. However, it was, yet again, Butler's ineptitude that did us in. Allowing Rob Gronkowski to be covered by Dupree in that Title game was one aspect that was already unacceptable but not double teaming him both times? Really? Well, that is what happened and the end result was Pittsburgh's third loss of the season. Nothing however, could prepare us for what was to come; a rematch with Jacksonville. This time? Butler and the defense both had become truly insane.

Against Jacksonville in the divisional matchup, as opposed to lockdown the opposition in the first half, how about giving up 28 points; 21 unanswered points before the offense got the ball rolling? Better yet, how about giving up 14 more points in the second quarter? Not good enough? How about giving up 14 points in the fourth quarter?

Best of all? How about a lack of adjustments throughout that game? Miscommunication was apparent yet again. Lack of execution was even more active that day. However, none of this ultimatley equates to the biggest issue; lack of game planning heading into the game. Guess who that is on? You guessed it!! Keith Butler!!!

Again....

[​IMG]

Given the amount of effort and time Keith Butler preached about how he was going to alter the defense by installing more man coverage and going towards more towards a 4-3 defense, many of us were still baffled at not only how little those coverages and/or formations were used but the lack of a multi role player to mitigate the loss of Ryan Shazier in the "Dime 'backer" role. Once again however, and to my own misguided judgement, I was under the impression that, given the fact a player who could efficiently play such a role was non existent on our team, perhaps that could be a quality addition to the team as Ryan Shazier was not coming back anytime soon. After acquring Terrell Edmunds in the first round, I was convinced that, not only did we find our "Dime 'backer" but our physcial presence as well. Surely now, Keith Butler could install this new piece into his defense. However, heading into the preseason, little to no adjustments and miscommunication again.

In short?

[​IMG]

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome."

Given how much, again, these preconceived changes would surface themselves in grear volume, it had become clear to me at the time that, Keith Butler has not only gone insane, he has gone COMPLETELY OUT OF HIS MIND. As I awaited the 2018 season opener against Cleveland, while I had confidence in our team, I was more on the cautious form of optimism given what I had seen. I had every right to be.

"How could I convince myself that the defense would not blow it?"

Given those circumstances; the continued distractions within the organization no less, my optimism became more and more cautious. So much so it almost felt as if I did not believe we could win. Well.... as much I as would love to recap the Cleveland game, the results speak for themselves. Not just the results overall either. The same theme song of lacking in adjustments, miscommuncation and execution.

Pittsburgh's next three games would further add even more maddness within the psyche of Butler; further amplifying it. This past Sunday, I truly do believe that Keith Butler has gone beyond the point of no return. This leads us to the highlight section of this thread.

"You Had A Good Run. However, It Is Time To Move On From You, Keith Butler."

Talent on defense? Check. Preconceived holes needing patched up? Check. Increased emphasis utilizing more sub packages and different coverages? Check. Main points of emphasis addressed the past two offseasons? Check.

"Wait. Wait. Wait. You said that there is talent on this defense?"

Yes. Yes I did. There are talented individuals on this defense; belief in that being irrelevant. We all know that Heyward and Tuitt can wreak havoc collectively. We know that both Dupree (as of late anyway) and Watt can pressure the quarterback. We have seen Artie flash at times during his young career (not this season though) and we have seen Terrell flash those playmaking traits throughout both the preseason and regular season thus far.

"Uh... okay. Explain this then. Given that all you have stated, why is this defense constantly blowing leads, assignments and execution then?!"

That answer is simple. While it is imperative that players play and coaches coach, the latter portion of that statement is equally as important as the former for a reason. For players to play, coaches have to put their players in favorable circumstances in order for them to do so. Within that same vein however, players have to perform in order for coaches to put them in said position. In more laymans terms, players will play should the coaches put them in position to succeed.

Still unsure as to what I am stating? Take these examples for short:

- Artie Burns, who was lauded for his press man coverage capabilities heading into the draft, has mainly played off zone coverages or off man. When he is in off man, it is his job to properly showcase his talents. While he has not done that thus far this season, how is he going to do said task when he is put into unwinnable situations? Press man on Mike Evans and Tyreek Hill? Not a good idea. Press man on a player like Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins or Chris Godwin (even though he was not assigned to do that), those prospects are much better.

- Bud Dupree, a force based pass rusher, is primarily built for rushing the quarterback. However, when you have him expend his abilities by spending them in zone coverage; a role that, while he is capable of, should not be doing over roughly 35% of the time, you are hindering his abilities to get to the quarterback and therefore the teams chances of success.

T.J. Watt, unlike Bud Dupree, is a multi role linebacker. He can not only defend the run and rush the quarterback but also defend the pass. Again though but, unlike Bud, T.J. should be used in either curl, hook or flat zone coverages. T.J. should not be used against a slot receiver or tight end in man coverage. While he is capable of playing man covergae the same, he should be best used against running backs but only if that player is someone you know T.J. can cover well. In addition, while T.J. has the range to cover the middle of the field, given his current position in a scheme that predicates production from the outside linebackers (not anymore but still in a way), having a linebacker who is more of a coverage linebacker would be better suited for both T.J. and the team as that frees up a responsibility for T.J.; using his other talents elsewhere

- Matthew Thomas had made plays in all forms of zone coverage and was versatile enough to rush the passer. Given how he is not just the most athletic linebacker of the group currently but possess the greatest range among linebackers on the roster coverage wise, having him on the field in those sub packages by supplanting Vince Williams, a run stopping linebacker, increases your range defending the middle of the field. If he is not there and you are forcing Vince Williams into a role is not good in, what is the point of carrying a player, one who has a package tailor made for him no less, on the roster?

While I have covered some of the current woes fellow members, here is the big one..

- Terrell Edmunds. Drafted for the sole purpose of not only increasing the usage of the dime and fielding a true Strong Safety with playmaking ability but also increasing the physcial style of being able to fill the gaps and holes within the alley on those outside running plays is doing the exact opposite. While he does have the range, contrary to popular belief I might add, to play deep zone, it is best to use him in a two deep shell concept should that need arise; namely defending tight ends or slot receivers like he did in college. For that matter, it is best to use him around or near the line of scrimmage as he waa intended to be used; running plays especially. Young Terrell cannot maximize his abilities if he cannot be around the running play itself and instead, 15-20 yards away. In addition, due to his explosive capabilities, it is also best to have him there on outside/stretch runs as he, and Bostic both have the necessary athletic tools to prevent those plays from turning into big gains.

"Why is Terrell the big one?"

Terrell is, among the players, the biggest loser among the entire list of players due to the fact that he, among all the players on defense, highlights the fatal flaw within the defense itself, schematics. This team is running a defense that is incompatible with the players on the roster; a defense constructed of players for a 4-3 playing in a 3-4 base. To assume these players can become more efficient at a scheme which stymies their abilities is the equivalent of assuming humans do not need to drink water and provide nourishment for the body. Butler is too obsessed with the formation based weaknesses of the offense and not focusing enough on the personnel weaknesses that dictate today's NFL. Even when he focuses on the personnel, he does not adequately place the players in the correct position to succeed. Add the fact that that there is the continually ongoing pre snap chaos and you are left with something unspeakable; a coach who is seemingly too prideful in his playcalling yet seemingly too inept in his decision making.

To that end, there needs to be a change; coaching wise. Let us look below at the teams that have had success changing them.

- Jacksonville Jaguars: Gone went the autonomy of Gus Bradley and in comes Todd Wash. While the Jaguars do have the better overall personnel currently, much of that same personnel sans Calais Campbell and later Marcus Dareus were there when Jacksonville's defense had the talent but not the correct coach nor scheme.

- Los Angeles Chargers: Gus Bradley himself; succeeding John Pagano. Became a top 10 unit in 2017.

- Chicago Bears: Even before the Khalil Mack pickup, Vic Fangio fielded a top 10 group from 2017. Prior to his arrival, Mel Tucker enacted the same ideology that Butler had but the opposite issue; a 3-4 defense running a 4-3.

In short? As the saying goes, "players play and coaches coach." Both have to go hand in hand. One cannot make up for the other. As such, and ultimatley, I believe it is time to move on from Keith Butler. Now, given the current circumstances, one cannot expect them to relieve Butler of his duties. I do, however, expect that to happen in the 2019 offseason. That being said, I am thankful for his time here. Given all the negativity I have tracked since 2016, I am thankful for the following:

- Allowing the defensive line to aid in the pass rush as opposed to consistently maintaining the point of attack.

- Increase the usage of man covergaes overall as a whole for the corners.

- Increase the amount of stunts by the defense; the outside linebackers namely. That was not seen as much from the LeBeau days as the double A Gap Blitz was simply too successful at the time.

Again, and I state this with saddness, it stinks. It stinks being last in the division. It stinks that there is seemingly no end in sight. It stinks that the team overall just seems lost as a whole.

Most importantly, it stinks to have a coordinator who has consistently promised change; yet fail to deliever on that promise all the same. I detest it. I rebuke it. Ineptitude still surfaces. As such, it is time to make a change. It is time to relieve Keith Butler of his duties come 2019.

Thank you for all your services Mr. Butler. May you enjoy the rest of you days yet witnessed in peace.

That is going to do it for me fellow members! Again, I am disgusted but not ungreatful. As a fan, I want my team to succeed. Should that even be firing a coach to enact on that succession, it is a decision I would gladly support should that be the issue. It currently is. I do however, and again, wish Butler all the best come 2019. I hope he finds everlasting elation and peace.

Once again, thank you all for reading! Much appreciated! Until next time, take care! :herewego:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is going to take a couple of days to read. I go to bed too early to finish tonight. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My God man.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Keith Butler when he played was known as a coach on the field. When you have that kind of knowledge, I wonder if he struggles with conceptual teaching. Some guys pick it up easily and some don't and he may think all his players are grasping it when they are not. Hence all the "dumb it down" scenarios.

We see the defensive players running by an opposing WR or RB to get to a certain spot in their zone. It seems they are so focused on getting to a spot they are missing what's right in front of them.

He needs to do a better job teaching the "why" aspects of the defense.

Bottom line I hope this year is his last.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You really have only position coaches on this staff including the Head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    When Butler played it was three yards and a cloud of dust. While games are still won in the trenches it's not exactly the war of attrition as Tomlin likes to say anymore. There are creative minds out there, innovators as Clive mentioned. Sorry to say but no one on our entire coaching staff has the ability to coach in this ever changing modern era of football . We are outdated in our teachings and philosophies and desperately trying to play catch up...
    Like you said our guys are taught and programmed to do a certain thing in a certain scenario that's why guys are running to spots unaware of what's actually happening around them. I remember a particular play last nite where Flacco had all day to throw and checked it down to a TE who ran for 15 yards before anyone even came into the TV screen. Would our guys have backed themselves up until they hit the stadium wall? No one is being allowed to just play football...Our D is predictable as hell and has been for years. Butler is clearly not the one to lead us into the modern age and the fact Tomlin doesn't step in( or is he?) to do something about it....tells you all you need to know about the chances he can do it either....

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I read it all....I've reached my quota for the year. The Cliff Notes for whoever hasn't gotten the chance to read the whole thing yet......FKBI.

Edit: Nice work AQL!!

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think AQL likes to write, just a guess.

And I agree, Butler is the problem. I don't think its the players, I'm convinced theres enough talent there to do well if put in a situation to succeed.

Someone posted a film breakdown that sums up the problem. Bad scheme and putting players in position to fail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    These players have been playing Defense all their lives.
    By default they should be able to fight.

It’s gotta be the system.

They’re just clueless at the snap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It’s the players AND the coaching.

There is no player on this team who I feel would be a superstar if it weren’t for Butler holding them back... they changed up the way the defense works so Heyward and Tuitt can be the rushers and it just hasn’t worked.

Butler did have a bad plan for Ravens. I’ll certainly agree with that. If you watched the Ravens first few games you would know what they are trying to do, and Butlers D still seemed perplexed.

I think we just don’t have the horses to run what they want to run. I also feel there might be a conflict of philosophy between Tomlin and Butler going on.

11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    The madman's diaries

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I enjoyed the pictures.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Butler 2.jpg 215px-The_Wizard_of_Oz_Ray_Bolger_1939.jpg

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    There’s talent on the defense, not a lot but shouldn’t be this level of crap.

Get a new coordinator who knows what they are doing and this defense could be decent

15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  17. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    certainly will take a decade to read.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

#FireKeithButler.

I was just explaining my personal reasons within the general consenus as to why. :smiley1:

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    A well written word salad.