1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mathew Thomas

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 1, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    His mom dying isn't something that would red flag me as an issue. Hell I'm going to be going into my 40s and I'll be a wreck when my mother passes. This kid was in college.

I'm not usually too hard on the Steelers FO, but I'm little frustrated with losing Thomas. I reconcile in that they must know something I don't.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You are right but his mothers passing lead to the ineligibility that is what the teams were turned off from as I read it.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think Thomas was playing on special teams until mid season, and he did get some snaps on defense in at least one game. I remember discussing him playing during one of the game day threads. I could be wrong though.o_O

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How did we let him go to the ravens?

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think you are correct Sir

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fort was terrible in the Jax playoff game and not much better any other game last year. So much so that I wanted him off the team. He did a better job this year. I would think it's safe to say that Fort didn't know what he was doing. Can't just throw players onto the field because they are athletic.

Theres real reasons to bash the coaching staff. I'm not going to pile on because they didn't keep and undrafted player that couldn't even compel them to sign him to a futures contract.

My guess is he will do nothing with the Ravens either. If he does go onto become a player, than I'll pile on the coaching staff :icon mrgreen:

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have a question do we know he was offered a contract? Did the Steelers offer and he turned down cause he wanted "better options to play" with another team? Also are we that strong at LB that we could let this so called talent go? These are just some questions I have in the situation, all that was talked about on here and all that I have read says this kid is a 1st round talent with a FA track record.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Very impressed of your memory and the fact that you can glean that much information from Forts game against JAX by the entire 13 snaps he got as opposed to the 54 Spence got.

As far as Thomas goes ...do you know if they tried to sign him or not? because according to Thomas he almost didn't come back last time because he felt he wasn't being given a opportunity. So could it be entirely possible that they indeed tried to sign him but he refused. I think it could be.

You might end up being right in the end but it doesn't mean some fans can't be disappointed right now. I'm not the only one ....you do know that?

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Fort was pretty bad last year I was pretty vocal on him and Spence however he did rebound and play pretty good this year imo.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Fort basically on the team all year>Spence on his couch. I know how big a Spence fan you are:smiley1:

Agree to disagree ;)

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Disappointed in this happening too, but if the problem was he couldn't learn the system (don't know if that was the reason he hardly ever saw the field on D) then all that athleticism is for not. He would just be running fast to the wrong spot... The sucky part is we lost some athleticism at the ILB spot for a position that needs an influx there.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, very touchy. You're response is very strange for what I wrote.

I did a break down of the Jax playoff loss and posted it here, Fort was responsible for at least one TD, maybe another, would have to go back and look. So yeah, in his limited snaps, he was awful.

You're partner in crime, NY even agrees with me. Oh snap! :lolol:

You can be as disappointed as you want, where did I indicate you couldn't be. Sheesh, lighten up.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, I don't know. But why would he sign a futures with the Ravens who have a better defense and expect a better chance to play than staying here?

I read reports during the season that the team was disappointed in his development. There are only so many spots to go around, can't hang onto everyone and hope that he eventually gets it. Look how long it took Fort to start playing well.

I don't know who said he is a first rd talent but they are as high as a kite.

• Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah I must of missed that breakdown. I would be shocked if Fort was responsible for not one but two TDs on 13 snaps. Was your breakdown from the All-22 just curious?To me it just seems like your are targeting my opinions specifically..There are plenty of people who share my opinions that's all I'm saying. Maybe I am too sensitive but my wife never accused me of such;)

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Because I believe the Ravens have some pending FAs at the LB position. So it atleast gives them some flexibility. As far as Fort who really knows when he was capable of playing well. We didn't get a chance to see him in a full time role this season only because of a injury to VW. He played well in sub package and whatever other opportunities he has gotten this year.I doubt him starting for VW and his ability to play well just manifested itself on the exact day. I'm betting he has been capable of what we saw for a little while now. JMO:smiley1:

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, based on the All 22. I remember one was a play right down the middle. Go watch for yourself. Of course you'd probably blame Bud or Ben :lolol:

Bud was in fact also responsible for a TD as was Davis, Vince and even Heyward I think.

And yes, you're being too sensitive.

Again, go watch the coaches film. Sometimes it takes longer for the lightbulb to go on than for others.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I appreciate you admitting your error and I'm gonna agree to disagree on Fort. I maintain he would of been a better option than Spence and that's the point I was trying to make. The coaches aren't always right and I know you already know that. Right or wrong I shoot first and ask questions later;)

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Matt Williamson on SNR basically said Thomas isn't smart, as far as knowing what to do on the football field.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah I heard that. Said he's a high rep guy. Meaning he needs alot of reps to learn.

• Like Like x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have no partner in crime and take offense to that, I come here and chat Steelers and there are some I like to chat with more than others...you are one of them. This whole thing some of you have got going about partners in crime and tag team is so high school.......smh.

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So you're saying he should fit right in? :hehehe:

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nope, maybe Thomas is like Shamarko, he can't put it together on the field as far as knowing assignments.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I've seen this before around here. People fall in love with an undrafted fourth stringer and elevate him to legendary status. Said player gets let go and people are all up in arms saying the team screwed up royally. Said player rarely goes on to make an impact.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So what? We had the same high hopes for Glemm. Some people take a liking to a guy for one reason or another. Maybe it's his backstory or where he was drafted that make people root for him and are dissapointed when they are let go. I don't see the big deal either way. Is it the criticism of the coaches?
    Everyone complains about stupid things sometimes and some times people complain just to complain.:hmm: