1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Zone Nightmare vs Jax

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So, finally forced myself to look at this game again, wanted to focus on the red zone scores particularly. No great revelations here, just awful football. I do believe we win this game if Shazier is playing. Spence was responsible for 2 TDs, Shazier prevents 1 if not both. Vince was another big culprit, his weakness is supposed to be dropping into pass coverage but he was bad against the run. Bud, Davis and Watt all had gaffes.

Roll the tape.

1st TD Fournette up the middle

2 Culprits. Williams took himself out of the play by tripping over Heywards foot and then basically tackled from behind by 74 as Fournette runs by and leaps over Sean Spence. Not sure what was going through Spence head, if he had leapt to meet Fournette, maybe he keeps him out but he stayed low and had no chance. If Shazier is in the game, I believe he makes that play. If Vince doesn’t trip he may stuff the run or at the very least impede him so Spence can make a play.

2nd TD Fournette sweep right.

3 Culprits. Have no idea what Davis was doing on this play but looks like he try’s to throw a block (why?) on the TE who just smothers him and Fournette runs right by. Why he didnt engage the TE straight up and direct him into Fournette or try to disengage and make the tackle himself I have no idea. I know hes overmatched by the TE but by going low and effectively taking himself out of the play he had no chance.

Next is Bud, the tackle made him look stupid, just manhandled him. No chance to make a play.

Vince, slow to disengage and too late to catch Fournette.

3TD Yeldon up the middle

1 Culprit Watt over pursues and misses tackle and takes out Vince who was closing in.

Davis was taken out by the TE again but cant really fault him, good blocking by the TE.

4th TD Fournette up the middle

3 Culprits. Vince completely took himself out of position to make this play. I watched it a dozen times and still have no idea what he was doing. By the time he recovered he had no chance. Very poor play recognition on his part.

Tuitt was beat by his man, too slow to disengage and then was held a little.

Davis again. No excuse, no one even on him, just slow to react.

5th TD Bohanon 14 yd reception.

2 culprits. Looks like Spence blew his assignment but Burns was slow to peel off his man. I think this was mostly on Spence though. Bohanon strolled down the middle for an easy TD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Poor coaching and poor execution. Shazier changes this game easy but coaches choose a lot of these players and put them in the plays so if they fail horribly that's on them. Other teams suffer injuries too and the good ones with the good coaches (e.g. patriots) still get the no name fill ins making plays. To have the defense not make literally one play when needed falls squarely on the coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have said all along I like Vince but he's just not the force we need as a starter. He didn't step up his game enough this year to where it should be. First guy off the bench is probably his spot. We are still LB deficient. Watt has the skills to get there but after him (shazier excluded) we are not where we need to be. I'd go LB heavy in this draft as well as DBs.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Just the fact that there were 5 bullets was telling enough. Nice analysis though.

• Like Like x 2
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast you didn't need to go thru all that I could have told ya Spense sucked.......;)

Good breakdown, on the 2nd TD I agree have no clue what the hell Davis was doing I re winded it over and over with the kids and was like WTF????? I know Davis has had an up and down season more down than up I am hoping he will fix that. I was not a VW believer(as you know) but I thought he had a pretty good season and earned the spot. I think Shazier going down really hurt him on the field. Dupree is what he is at this point and I hope we look at a replacement in this draft for him....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He did a nice job rushing the passer but hes lacking in run support. I agree with your draft needs.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No surprise Spence was the culprit on some of those plays, he can't get to the spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Players make play not the coaches.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agreed for all of them.

T.J. appeared to have the proverbial "Deer in the headlights" look all game. Perhaps the moment was a bit too big for him? Something else? I am not 100% certain.

Bud and Spence were really not going to do much heading into this game anyway. I did expect Bud though to hold up on the edge a bit more though.

All in all, replacing Shazier will be no easy feat without question. His impact was missed in far more ways than orginally thought.

10. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Failures in fundamentals are on the coaches. Do you think the guys replacing injued players on other teams are just that much greater than our players or are the coaches just better at instructing them on how to play?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I responded to your comment about making plays. Coaches don't make plays. Players make plays. The defensive players failed to make plays and execute vs the Jags.

Every team is built differently. Some teams have stronger depth at certain positions than other teams. Some teams can over come key losses depending on how they are built. The Steelers were down to a guy they had to sign from the street to play ILB.

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    And who's fault was that, who's fault is it we didn't have more that one back up or have a guy on the practice squad ready?

Guys rarely have success coming off the couch ans SS wasn't even that good before. Look at Revis who had talent during his career, he struggled coming back with KC.

13. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It's no body's fault. Sometimes teams can have good depth at certain positions and sometimes they can't. It's the nature of the business.