1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Analysts - not enough priority on DBs in Pgh

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I have heard more than one sports guy say this today: Steelers put too much focus on getting good WRs and not enough on DBs.

I bristled at this, because why we have been very good at finding diamonds at WR, it's not like we spend an inordinate amount of high draft picks on WR (and we certainly know we don't spend much in free agency on them, for certain).

Yes, we have had some good WRs, but not from overly focusing on getting good ones in.

Ju Ju - 2nd round, but seemingly very worth it.
    Ayers - 7th round
    Coates - 3rd
    Bryant - 4th
    Wheaton - 3rd
    Clemons - 7th
    Sanders - 3rd
    Brown - 6th
    Wallace - 3rd

Now is it just me, or does the above not look like an over-emphasis on WRs? True, we made AB the highest paid WR in the league but no one is saying that was a bad move. No one.

Now, at DB, how much priority has been used there (I do admit it seems we've been to lax on prioritizing on CB, but not due to an over-emphasis on WR - let's compare).

Sutton - 3rd
    Allen - 5th
    Burns - 1st
    Davis - 2nd
    Golson - 2nd
    Grant - 4th
    Holliman - 7th
    Richardson - 5th
    Thomas - 4th
    Brown - 3rd
    Cortez Allen - 4th
    Butler - 5th
    Mundy - 6th
    Gay - 5th

It doesn't look like WR is over-emphasized at the expense of DB; it looks more like just bad drafting of DB and a good return of lower WR picks. As far as free agency for each, we made an actual splash move in signing Haden. We've done virtually no free agency move at WR other than some ham and eggers like Hunter and Hey Bey.

We have lots of gaffs by our GM, head coach and OC, but an over-emphasis of WR priority is NOT where one of those problems resides. Lack of proper focus, attention to detail and rubbish play calling and scheming is where to look.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess if analysts just wrote “Jacksonville played better than us” it wouldn’t be long enough for an article though.

• Like Like x 2
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    our problem is the front 7 focus. The game has evolved to the point a good coach can negate pressure with play calling . The Jags made our D look silly with PA and the waggle game. We would blitz from 1 side and the run was going the other.We would run inside stunts and the QB was on a roll out.

To get good pressure a Team must be able to cover first . If only 3 guys in the pattern you can play single high man with 7 in the box .A extra run stopper or blitzer in the box if u will.

This Team needs a true FS one who can play single High . It needs a ILB. It needs a SS/ILB type guy to cover RB'S and TE'S 1 on 1 who is also good in run support.We also need another man capable CB to play outside .

The Team needs bigger,stronger DL guys that can clog up double Teams and not get moved. The team also needs faster lb's who flow to the ball faster, cover better, and shoot gaps better . So basically this Defense as it sits now is trash.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    It also needs far better coaching and leadership. Jags changed the coach and front office and went from laughing stock to top D, with mostly the same players.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree we need that as well ,but we are not even in the same league talent wise. They have real talent .The only 2 guys the Steeler's have is Watt and Haden .

If we get a new DC I hope he only sees those 2 as corner stones . All the rest have a problem you must try and scheme around . I don't expect much from a DC having to do that every game .

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

Well we know we have a better position coach for the wr's vs the secondary, or atleast I'd make that arguement everyday of the week and stand by it. For whatever reason, the message being preached in the secondary isn't resonating. These guys are out of position, suck at communicating, fundamentally lacking etc... And any time they seem to be on to something or growing noticeably it appears regression creeps up out of nowhere time and time again. I think there's too much leash given to people on this team fromcoach T on down and not enough accountability going on to reel it in.

I don't know how you get your slums in order without throwing out the problem tenants.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the argument should be that they have drafted good WR's, and not good enough picks on the secondary.

The talent has worked out much better, for sure.

8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Also don't forget even after the Jag's drafted great a few years, then they got even better by some great free agency moves. If they had a QB, nobody would touch them. By the way their coaching staff is pretty good also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I would add in Heyward as well. Nothing wrong with Hilton.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Been impressed with the Jags drafting over the last several years, knew this day was coming. A QB will make them a top team for years.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Of course not!

That makes too much sense! :lolol:

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/t...at-how-jacksonville-will-surprise-many.17485/

Call it a premonition. For me however, I knew Jacksonville would be this good.

Within that same vein, I did not expect Blake Bortles to evolve the manner in which he did.

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Ive viewed the jags as a viable threat with bortles for a while now. Bortles hasn't live up to expectations for sure, but he's been good enough when needed. Kid has talent but the between the ears thing hasn't set in fully. I wanted him here behind Ben but it is what it is. The record is what it is... Jax has bested us time and time again over the years when they shouldn't have, but our boys just never seem to grasp that aspect of it.

14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    There was several of us on this board that said watch out for the Jag's before the season started. There were also several here who laughed at us saying the Jag's are the Jag's and basically said forget about them. Well what do you all think now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah - while getting knocked out of the play offs is never good for the soul, I do wonder if some people's perceptions of Jacksonville as a team we are head and shoulders above is adding to the frustration. Obviously that's not all of the problem by a long way, but when people compare the Jags to the Tebow game, it's really not the same.

I'll be interested to see how they do against the Pats.

16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Two years ago I said they were going to be the surprise team, I also said Bortles wasn't as bad as everyone was making him out to be. Man I was wrong on both that year but the Jags bounced back however Bortles never did, lol! If this team get a QB(eli?) watch out and if we ever fix our D watch out cause this could be a very good battle for the next few years.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we also have a really good and veteran wr coach, who is now going to retire. i still lean towards the coaching factor. munchak, mann, daniel, fitchner, saxon = a good offense. haley excluded.

butler, olsavsky, porter, lake = a poor defense. mitchells d-line played fairly well this season. again a very veteran coach. porter, lake, olsavsky were brought in and had very little if any NFL experience or experience coaching at all. butler was a first time DC.

it's pretty obvious that the more veteran coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball showed improvement in every aspect. the defense, not so much and actually declined under this group as a whole. no it's not just the players aren't good enough, it's being out coached. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I think about the Monty Python skit about reporters covering an election (involving the Silly Party candidates).
    They ask for one reporter's comment: "It turned out exactly like I predicted, except the other guy won."

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Jax
    Raiders
    Houston
    Pit
    Ne
    Chargers
    Raisins

Afc getting interesting

20. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    So, here's a question then.

It seems the team is pretty darn capable at finding WR talent. But they just can't seem to hit on a DB. Why? Are the scouts we have looking for DBs not good at their jobs? Are they being told the wrong type of players to look for?

I find it hard to believe that a team can be so good at scouting in one area (WR) yet so poor at another (DB)

21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Or maybe the Lake-Tomlin coaching is messing with them, somehow. (No evidence for this, other than "can't seem to hit on a DB".) The DBs seem to regress from their rookie year, or only play well after spending time with another team (and then join the Steelers).

22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It`s true drafting DB`s is not a priority. Something is bound to suffer when you pick. Got to keep the O-line top notch, so that is high priority. On defense, we value athletic linebackers because we value pressure more than coverage. Maybe that should change a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This, it's mostly coaching, if I had to guess for the Steeler's, it's 70% coaching, 30% DB talent

24. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    That must be why Butler stays. The thinking by management is, and I think it is correct, Butler did a whole lot with so little talent. When we lost Shazier, that was a tipping point where scheming around weakness became impossible.

25. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would look at our coaching at but positions.
    Development of players are important. I wonder how much of Mann is responsible for the receivers success.
    How much of Lake is responsible for the lack of development of all those corners?