1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Year Of The Big Cat: How Jacksonville Will Surprise Many

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Sep 13, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello everyone! AskQuestionsLater here, bringing you my personal take on one of this seasons up and coming teams; the Jacksonville Jaguars. Fresh off their convincing 29-7 victory over the AFC South favorite Houston Texans, Jacksonville has turned heads across many throughout the sports world. For some, this was a resounding "Rights of Passage" game in which the Jaguars are ready to take on some of the better teams in the AFC. To me, what was showcased Sunday did not surprise me in the least. To further explain as to why this team dominated a team that, by all accounts, should have beaten them, we need to go back in time a bit to understand what it took for Jacksonville to get to this point; 2015 more specifically. With that out of the way, let us begin.

A Change Of Direction In The Wind:

April 28th, 2015. Draft day. With the third overall pick in that years draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars hedged their bets on a very productive and high floor prospect hailing from the SEC in their own backyard of Gator country. That name was Dante Fowler Jr. While it was a momentous celebratory occassion for the young upstart Jaguars, their third round pick would end up paving much more dividends than their first as Fowler would end up on Season Ending IR. That players name taken in the third round was A.J. Cann, an offensive guard from the University of South Carolina. Given the fact that then Head Coach Gus Bradley would not only need protection but also a good interior lineman to create lanes for his running backs, it only seemed fitting for a team that, historically, predicated its success on two key principles; power running and punishing defense. While Dante Fowler would not see the field and AJ Cann would have to wait, the foundation was set for the perfect storm that was due to arrive.

Lightning Strikes Twice:

In 2016 and 2017, quite the phenomenon happended for the Black 'n' Teal. For one, both drafts were more loaded than othres gave it credit for. For two, specific factors played quite a role into what we see in Jacksonville today. Finally, for three, all the pieces that Jacksonville needed to not only become relavent again but also to challenge even the top dogs in the conference were ripe for the pickings. To start out, considered by many to be "The Next One", Jalen Ramsey was the first player taken off the board for the Jaguars. In quite the most unusual form of events however, Jacksonville would end up acquiring not one but two top five talents. The other was an insanley talented linebacker in the name of Myles Jack; considered by many to be the zenith of the modern NFL linebacker prototype; Jaylon Smith being the other. However, even those two would not be enough. Defensive end Yannick Ngakoue and Defensive tackle Sheldon Day would complete the defensive rebuild.

The following year, Jacksonville struck lightning once again, nabbing Leonard Fournette with the fourth overall pick. While it was not all too impressive that Leonard went as high as he did, it was their second pick that would complete the rebuild of the Jacksonville Jaguars in Cam Robinson. Widely reputed to be the best offensive tackle in the class, it was quite incredible that Cam slipped into the second round of this seasons draft. Initially, some of those who did not want Cam proved to be correct as to why this happened. According to reports from Jacksonville media, not only Cam but the entire offensive line looked really bad in the entire preseason. To be able to manhandle arguably the best front seven in the game is not only something noteworthy but also very telling. While the likes of AJ Cann, Brandon Linden, Patrick Omanmeh and Jeremy Parnell did well, it was the performance of Cam Robinson that caught many by surprise. He not only performed well in his abilities of run blocking, he also silenced his critics in his inability of pass protection against the likes of Whitney Mercelius, Jadeveon Clowney and J.J. Watt. Let that sink it for one second; three Pro Bowl caliber players did not land a finger on Blake Bortles blindside nor penetrate the backfield to negate any oppurtunity his teammate Leonard Fournette could obtain for positive gain thanks in part to a player who was widley critizied for his inconsistency. If the 2016 draft was the draft that brought an edge to the Jaguars, 2017s draft will be the one that instills the toughness and grit that go along with it.

An Emerging Challenger:

Within three drafts and some key acquistions in free agency, the Jacksonville Jaguars have assembled a team that is now capable of challenging some of the top teams in the conference and giving them all they could handle. Oakland and Pittsburgh have the offenses to combat Jacksonville's defense but such games between those two will likely be decided on the last man standing. If New England's trend continues and, should these two meet in the playoffs, Jacksonville will give Bill Belichick and Tom Brady all they can handle and more. In fact, looking at their current schedule, the only major challengers on it are the Titans, Steelers, Seahawks and Cardinals currently. Two of those four are NFC and Jacksonville can make a statement this Sunday by downing the Titans. Should this happen, the entire AFC will be put on notice;

The Jacksonville Jaguars are a darkhorse no more. They do have the personnel to be a team that will generate some serious noise later in the season.

As always, thank you all for reading. What are your thoughts on the Jaguars? Agree? Disagree? Which team would you like me to work on next? Please let me know down below as it always is not only helpful but appreciated. Until next time everyone, take care!

• Like Like x 2
  2. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's all possible, if healthy, that's the key HEALTH.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This is for every team in any sort or form of team based professional sports.

Darwinism at its most purest form. Survival of the fittest. Whoever is the most "fit" in the end will prevail.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I like how the Jags have constructed their team. Especially now that they committed to a running game rather than an all out passing attack.

Adding Calais Campbell is huge.

I think Jalen Ramsey is talented but maybe not to the level he was being hyped at.

Myles Jack? That will be key.

Jags missed on so many defensive high draft picks over the years.

Gus Bradley? I'm not sure I'm a believer. Good mindset, but his team has wilted the past few years.

I think they are an interesting team to keep an eye, especially now with fournette powering the offense.

But I have the Titans as the Top team in the AFC South for the near future.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nonono.

Gus was the coach for them preceding Doug Marrone.

Doug seems to understand what Tom Coughlin wants; clock controlled offense and punishing defense.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    :facepalm:

I think I knew about Marrone getting that gig but I'll admit, completely forgot about that.

Don't know enough about Marrone to make a strong case for or against.

I will say, I like the idea of Tom Coughlin being involved. Great coach. Fell victim to a schitzophrenic offense over his tenure in New York.

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I took the Jags over Tenn this Sunday. Hope their defense holds up another week.
    Carolina intrigues me, can they battle Atlanta for the division? Can they hold off the Bucs? Your thoughts AQL

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:smiley1:

Glad you brought the Bucs and Panthers up! Torn between both actually. Trying to figure out which has the better "Heroes Comeback" tale. Should have a better answer on Monday.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tom Coughlin will have them toeing the line much needed discipline. They are on their way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
  11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah they got drilled today.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh.. I saw that score. Brutal indeed.

However, I do stand by what I said. Jacksonville will be able to surprise some as their defeat had a lot more to do with fundamental breakdowns more than just Blake Bortles albeit still an issue.

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bortles can be a decent QB but I don't see him being the one to take them over the hump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I didn't catch any of it. Will watch it on demand later in the week.

15. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not surprised they got spanked by the Titans now their a little cat/ Kitty!!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Now 4-3, what are the thoughts now?

Should they take it to Houston one more time and win 10 total, this is definitley a team few will want to face.