1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Browns keep 12 DB'S

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Sep 2, 2014.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice Podcast on Steelers Depot it references there new Coach and them liking to run 6 DB'S a lot . So I think this will be there game plan to Double AB and force the Steelers to run the Football..

I see nothing to make me think we can run block. I see nothing that makes me think that Wheaton can beat a solid CB either.

I am trying to play Coach and formulate or speculate a Offensive game plan ,but I can't come up with a good Attack Plan .

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Doom and gloom!

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I thought our starters looked pretty good running the ball in the preseason

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably. So do you think our WR'S can beat their CB'S ?
    Do you think our OL can run block ?

If you answer no to those 2 Questions ,then how are we going to move the Football ? What I see on tape makes me think no and I hope I am wrong.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I think Brown proved last year haden can't cover him and Gilbert has looked like a rookie and skrine 8s banged up

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    bell ran the ball quite well behind the starters. AB has done well against the browns as late as the last game last year. heath is healthy and spaeth is healthy. 6 DB's stopping the run will have a hard time and play action should work quite well when they creep towards the line. they also have to deal with our RB's out of the backfield. many ways to attack them PWP.:cool:

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I have no idea and neither do you!
    And the old "I hope I'm wrong" comment. Way to show confidence in your predictions!

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Geez Glenn, take it easy man.

9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

exactly..... not to mention that they don't have a lber capable of covering heath

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Sorry TTF!

11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'll go with Mac here. I don't think it will be easy to move the ball, but we do have some weapons at our disposal. TE's and RB's will certainly be key. Archer could be the an X factor as well.

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

LOL! That's just Glenn being Glenn. Try some decaf, man. ;-)

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's cool not a prediction per say . Fear would be a better word . I would never root for our Team to do bad , but I also have years of experience looking at Tape , and I am not going to ignore what I see just because I am a fan.

I am glad you are so confident , I just can't see it .

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Haden can't guard Brown alone ,but he can with help IMO. With our OL how much can Heath get out I the Patterns ? They can guard him with pressure if our OL doesn't hold up .

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    In 4 preseason games, Bell had 18 carries for 60 yards and a 3.3 average, and that was against 2s and 3s as well, so I dont know about that being quite well, if the oline doesnt run block better than they did in preseason I wouldnt count on Bell being a factor, Pettine has a pretty strong defense, so that always gives this offense fits, this game isnt going to be as easy as some people think, dont forget we was supposed to blow the lowly Titans away in our season opener last year......

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Our line is fine. 11 sacks in 8 games was not a fluke and they have gotten better since then. It really could be a top 5 line

17. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with your assesment, PWP. I think an even bigger issue than the OL is the Wheaton has looked downright awful to me in blocking. He wouldn't get a hat for that alone if I were a coach. Show me you can do the fundamentals first and then he'll see the field. We know this team's propensity to supplant the run game with quick screens. But they only work if the WR can hold a block. Unless the ball wil be thrown to the side that AB is on, it won't really work IMHO. I think DHB is a better blocker than Wheaton (hard not to be) and should be moved up the depth chart. But, I'm not a coach, so what do I know?

18. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Not suiting Wheaton because there were a couple plays in the limited preseason snaps that he had where he didn't block well? :facepalm:

Anyways, the game comes down to who is more prepared. The Steelers have talent on paper, but it is up to the coachs to utilize that talent in strategically effective ways. I think that will be the theme this year as well.

Brown, Wheaton, and Moore give you three scary slant options. Slant your way down the field and score TDs. But we will see what the coaches come up with on Sunday.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The Emperor has no clothes!!!!!

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    On the podcast they speculated they would copy what the Jets did to the Pats in the playoffs that one year where they gave them atypical looks and coverages.

I think we can have success running the ball though, I don't think I am too concerned.

21. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    100 yard rusher is what Bell will be after this game. Blount will steal the TD though

22. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes. It's supposed to be a competition. He was just handed the job. What did Wheaton honestly show you to make you believe he's a viable #2? He didn't show me squat. AB is going to draw double coverage, which means Wheaton will need to be relied on. When the game is on the line, are you willing to trust Wheaton to make the play? I'm sure not.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Whhhill Whhhheaton?! Dear god man just tell the Enterprise to manipulate the graviton fields!

24. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    IIRC that wasnt with our starters though. We had a patched together OL and they did very good. I hate to say it but they looked better, played better, and seemed to gel better than the starters.

IMO, with the potential run game we have, the weapons Ben has to throw to, all we need is for the OL to get their act together.

25. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Wheaton showed somebody something or he wouldn't be in the spot he's in. Obviously his practice and training camp showings couldn't be that bad for him to earn the #2 spot. The coaches like him, if they didn't I'm sure we would have drafted a WR higher in the draft than where we picked Bryant. We haven't even played a meaningful game yet and already people are picking apart who's where. Let's see what happens in a game or two. Give the guy a shot.