1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Tomlin bench Bell and Blount?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Aug 20, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They can't be suspended per the CBA the legal process has to play out. But Tomlin could make them inactive against the Browns,that would send a message to them and the rest of the team. Tomlin made Santonio inactive for a game when he was caught with pot in his car in 2008.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes. Bell failed a drug test and the team knows about it. I'm totally in favor of benching him. I don't WANT him to be benched but I think you HAVE to. Also Blount is gonna get arrested later. Also his last name is Blount. LOL. I mean the guy is sorrrta a self fulfilling prophecy.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Can the team fine them? Is that allowed?

If so, I say inactivate them 1 game (separately. Let's not get reckless) and fine them.

I doubt they'll face much legally. Fine, maybe some community service. As far as what the league does, that's anybody's guess.

4. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, bench them. Same game (Sorry Ray D, I just don't agree on taking a football advantage on inactivating them on separate weeks). It's a message, and it should sound loud and clear: no matter if you are very important to the team, if you do something like this, even if we have to play with our 3rd string RB, we'll do that, but won't tolerate this kind of stuff.
    There are kids watching. Even if you agree on people smoking weed, you shouldn't agree on people breaking the law.

So, yes: bench both of them on season opener. Santonio was benched, and as Coach T says: The standard is the standard, right?

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think this thread should actually be made in to a poll.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    But I also said inactivate. They don't dress. They don't even come to the game.

Benching implies we'll still play them if need be. ;)

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    You're dang right he should. Bench both of them for the next two games!

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    You know I'm pretty short but that didn't fly over my head. I wonder how many heads it will fly over though.... Nice try my man... nice try.... LOL.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I C wut U did thar.

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw it too.... shhhhhh.....

12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The one good thing about season starting suspensions is a healthy player returning to the lineup.

13. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Bell? Maybe because he was driving. But Blount? No. The nation is shifting on pot use, so no point flipping out over this.

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bells will get busted down to a improper use charge.
    Lord no you don't bench them over pot. You don't think the teams know which players are getting high and which aren't? Are we going to bench every pothead on the team?

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Uh, Santonio Holmes? I don't know what to think about the weed, but the fact that it was DUI does make me upset. If they got no fine or suspension, I still think Tomlin should bench them anywhere from 1 half to 2 games.

16. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!: :thumbs_up:

17. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    NO BENCHING

matter of fact

the Rooney's and Steelers shouldn't do anything.

let roger pull his asshat self crap from his butt to lay the hammer on us as usual

18. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Why should the rest of the team have to suffer more for these 2's actions? Being inactivated should send the message right there to that player and made an example of. Inactivating both will unnecessarily hurt the team as a whole and is a good way to build animosity.

19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Holmes already had a history. This is the first instance for them. (That we know of)

20. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the steelers organization needs to do something to show the commissioner and the nfl that they won't stand for this. I know this issue and charges might not even matter until close to the end of the year, and there is a chance that the charges won't stick. We all know how this works sometimes. But the commissioner will also be between a rock and a hard place. He has taken a lot of flack for the light punishment brought down on ray rice for beating his wife. So if he gives 2 first time offenders who smoked pot the same or more punishment than someone who was caught and admitted to domestic abuse, it really gives the nfl a bad look. And I'm sure Rodger will take some heat for that if this scenario would happen. I'm sure he's sick of the attention he has gotten already from the rice case. But the Rooneys and the steelers will do something. To me it's not a question of should Tomlin suspend them, it's just a matter of when and how. If I had my guess, I'm assuming they won't be playing in the opener against the browns. I think it will be archer and Poole? If he makes the 53.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    FWIW Herm Edwards said he would bench Bell the first game and Blount the second game.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So fans only care about winning and let players do what they want.

24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Pot is illegal in the NFL. Case closed.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I have no control over the players and yes, in this case, I only care about winning.