1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Mt. Rushmore

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, May 13, 2013.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    PFT has been doing one for every team based on voting. You can pick any player/coach/person involved in the team. 4 Spots... Who do you choose? I think this is incredibly hard actually.

Here was my thought process...

Joe Greene - This was the one that I had zero question about. Joe Greene was the draft pick that put the Steel Curtain Dynasty in motion, and brought a really brought the team out of the basement. Possibly the best player at his position ever. He gets on for me because of his skill AND historical relevance to the franchise.

The Chief - This one seems like a fairly easy pick too. The only argument against it I guess is if you think it should be limited to players and coaches. We all know the Chief's relevance and awesomeness, but to me he should be on there to represent the family, that is the Steelers organization. Plus, seeing his glasses and cigar on a mount rushmore would be pretty awesome.

Those two (for me) were pretty easy. After those two it got trickier though.

Chuck Noll - It's hard to leave out a coach with 4 superbowl victories (not to mention being undefeated in them). He built and coached possibly the best football dynasty ever... If you're including a coach, then it comes down to Noll vs. Cowher, which isn't really much of a discussion for me.

Ben Roethlisberger - Okay, I know... This is the one everyone is going to flame me about, and I can understand it. For me the 4th spot was the hardest. Let me present MY reasoning. We all know our franchise has had a great history, but I feel like we might live in the past too much. We've just seen another great era in Steelers football, and I wanted to see at least one spot be a modern day player. I considered Rod Woodson, who as a player at his position was better than Ben. However, Woodson's position wasn't as important, and he never won a Superbowl with the team. Jerome Bettis was VERY close for me, for the way he represented smashmouth football, and carried our team for a long time... The only thing that put Ben over Jerome for me was that Ben was more vital to us winning a Superbowl. Cowher was a great coach, and had great defenses... but what finally got him over the hump? When he FINALLY got his quarterback. Ben's grittiness, and let's face it, sometimes ugly way of getting things done fits the "Steelers way" pretty well. Bradshaw won more Superbowls, but I think he had more help too (not that Ben hasn't). Like I said, I could see tons of arguments for others, this was just my pick.

My other considerations... Jack Lambert, Rod Woodson, Jerome Bettis, Bill Cowher, Troy Polamalu, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris

EDIT:
    Might as well keep a tally, and see the results (according to this board).

Joe Greene - 16
    Art Rooney "The Chief" - 11
    Chuck Noll - 8
    Terry Bradshaw - 7
    ----------------------------------------------
    Jack Lambert - 6
    Franco Harris - 5
    Ben Roethlisberger - 3
    Hines Ward - 3
    Mike Webster - 2
    Lynn Swann - 1
    Troy Polamalu - 1
    Jerome Bettis - 1
    Aaron Smith - 1
    Myron Cope - 1
    Bill Cowher - 1
    Mike Tomlin - 1
    Brett Kiesel - 1
    Antonio Brown - 1
    Greg Lloyd - 1
    Dan Rooney - 1

2. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Joe Greene - no brainer.

The Chief - owner of possibly the best run franchise in pro sports.

Big Ben Roethlisberger - leader of the current team which transitioned us back into yearly SB contenders.

Jack Lambert - the face heart and soul of the Steel Curtain. :)

If you can't have coaches or owners I would replace the Chief with Bradhsaw.

But that is a tough 4 to choose...

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mean Joe, Jack Lambert, Chuck Noll, Troy Polamalu. I just think Troy has had so many breathtaking, gamebreaking, "how did he do that" plays at all the right times that I think he deserves a spot among the greats. Beliiiiieve me that's hard and my mind could probably change easily but Jack Lambert would just look so cool carved in stone with his teeth missing so you would HAVE to put him just for that alone! LOL.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not putting owners or coaches in, too many great players to chose from and as deserving as the Chief and Noll are, just not enough room.

Joe Greene - Started it all
    Terry Bradshaw - Don't win anything without a QB
    Lynn Swann - Awe inspiring catches
    Ben Roethlisberger - Led us back to SB's

Would have liked to have done 2 old time players and two new players but this team is regarded so highly because of it's past, without that history there is no Steeler lore and we'd simply be like any other team.

5. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Mine is actually eerily similar to yours. I just can't put big Ben on there till I see his full body of work, but I do understand why you would put him on it.

Joe Greene
    The Chief
    Chuck Knoll
    Franco Harris

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Greene, Franco, Bradshaw, Bettis

--I'm going with all players.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Same here. Our Rushmore needs 8 heads, due to the success of our franchise. There are a lot of teams who will have a placeholder for the third and fourth head.

For me, it's impossible to have anyone from the modern era on there. It's The Chief, Chuck Noll, Joe Greene, and Terry Bradshaw. There's probably ten honorable mentions...but that's mine. If I was an artist, I'd hand draw a charcoal sketch of that and make it my sig.

8. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure how Bradshaw could be left off of the list with 4 Super Bowl rings.

9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, this is a tough one. I'll go with just players as otherwise 2 spots are already taken:

Joe Greene
    Mike Webster
    Aaron Smith
    Hines Ward

I know I'll take a ton of flack for this, but I think these four embodied the organization more than anyone else.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The Chief
    Joe Greene
    Jack Lambert
    Terry Bradshaw

Next 4:

Chuck Noll
    Ernie Stautner
    Mike Webster
    Franco Harris

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we need six spots with the six tropheys.:cool:

12. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    As many have said theres toooooo many names...especially with the whole 70s group (as there are only a handful from the 90s-today that I'd pick compared to 10-15 from the 70s)

Maybe it should be like this...1 ownership person, 1 coach, 1 70s era player, 1 modern era player (90s - today)

If that was the case...I think you'd go, Chief, Noll, Mean Joe and Hines (he just embodied the Steelers, Bettis was good and a number of current guys Ben/Troy/Aaron/etc could be good but I think Hines tops them all)

13. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Bradshaw, Greene, Harris, Ward...........Winning Super Bowls is no easy task and these guys did it multiple times plus they are outstanding people with great personalities and morals.

14. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Art Rooney, Chuck Noll, Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw.. Tough leaving Jack Lambert off, but that is my take.

15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    top 4 player wise:
    1. bradshaw
    2. franco
    3. lambert
    4. greene

next 4 players
    1. Webster
    2. ham
    3. blount
    4. stallworth...(swann was an extremely tough omission)

top 4 non players:
    1. chief
    2. knoll
    3. lebeau
    4. cowher

16. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

+1

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    if you do it honestly and pick 4. art rooney and chuck noll have to be on it. if you just want players, to me its simple. jack lambert, hines ward, mean joe, and terry bradshaw. you can talk about the number of 70's players all u want. they are the reason the steelers are the steelers

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was just getting ready to list these same 4 players. It's hard to leave players like Swann, Stallworth, Ham, Blount and others off the list. I can't agree that Ben deserves to be on the list. Of his 3 Super Bowls, he really only played lights out in one of them. He obviously led us to all if those Super Bowls but because of his mediocre to below average play in 2 if the 3, I can't give him Mt. Rushmore status. I also can't give MR status to Troy. Too much time on the sidelines in sweats the last two or three seasons for that.

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Greene (With a coke and a smile)
    Lambert (Missing front teeth)
    Myron Cope (With Original Terrible Towel)
    The Chief (With Stogie)

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We didn't start winning SB's gain until Ben arrived, that's why he gets on it IMO.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    chief,noll,cowher,tomlin.:cool:

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    i understand but disagree. Bradshaw came up big in virtually every Super Bowl he played in. Not necessarily in the stat line but at key points in the games when the team needed a play, he delivered BIG TIME. As for Franco, The Immaculate Reception, 'nuff said. Lambert is the epitome of what the Steelers are all about and Greene, well, Rooney called him the Cornerstone of the dynasty and I agree.

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    In Super Bowl 13 he had his first 300 yard game and I think that was the greatest Super Bowl ever. It was even more awesome given the fact that Hollywood told the media that Bradshaw was dumb and then he goes on to win his 1st of 2 Super Bowl MVPs. That's the ULTIMATE feeding somebody crow moment you can possibly have in sports.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There is not a mountain big enough, for so many great players/coach

25. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We couldn't squeeze a Mount Rushmore satisfactorily. We'd need 5 or 6 Rushmores.

This franchise doesn't need a Mount Rushmore. We need a Mount Olympus. :)