1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New WR Lineup

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    If Brown is factored out, whether it be via holdout, trade, or cut, we could still have a very solid WR lineup, especially if Bryant and Wheaton continue to develop.

Wheaton, Bryant, Archer, DHB, Rookie (or vet like Greg Jennings)

Wheaton obviously doesn't replace Brown, but I really like the prospects of he and Bryant lining up together. It almost reminds me of Ward/Burress back in the day. Wheaton is very fast, has good hands, and blocks really well. He just needs to work on his timing with Ben, which got a lot better late last season. Bryant is a monster. The XC factor would be Archer in the slot. He hasn't been in that position much so far because of the development of Bryant last season, but I think of all areas, the slot 3rd WR position would be where he would be the most dangerous.

This lineup has a very high ceiling and would save us money after Browns cap figure comes off the books. It also likely gives us draft picks to retool the defense or get another rookie WR.

I love Brown, but would not be totally bummed if he left because I think this lineup I mention above could be very exciting.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd be very worried, I'm excited about Bryant but prefer if they draft somebody like Cooper. Bryant/Cooper does a lot more for me than Bryant/Wheaton.

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Yea i'm not really sold on Wheaton, ,

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I have more excitement for what Bryant can bring in terms of more refined route running and blocking this year. He gets the blocking down, look out!

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I am a long way from being sold on Wheaton. In fact, even if there was no AB drama I wouldn't mind taking a WR starting in R2 if he's legitimately the BPA.

6. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I would be VERY bummed if we lose Brown. That is a major blow to our WR lineup...he is a top 5 receiver for crying out loud! No drafted player can replace that.

I hope they get this issue worked out sooner rather than later. the problem is, I doubt it happens before the draft...so now we HAVE to draft a WR???

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm not going to spend much time debating this as there's about zero chance Brown won't be with us this season. But if he's not we're screwed.

8. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yea im not going to get into the what if's quite yet. Still too early, but lets face it, no Brown no W's. Sure we have some great/good options behind him, but noone can step directly into his role and fill that void.

Why am even thinking about this. He's not going anywhere??? Right?

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    RIGHT!!:thumbs_up:

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Listen this is a business and I understand what AB is doing. I think when it is all done he is right here back with us, and just for the record get use to this cause if Bell has another good year he is next.....

11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Only difference is he's on a rookie contract, AB was paid before he was truly proven

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I understand that what I mean though is if Bell has a good year and we don't give him a new contract he will do the same thing. In the end we will sign both and all will be good....I hope.

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
  14. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    :lolol::roflmao:

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    There is just no way AB is going anywhere in the near future.

16. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not even as a #3? Even if he never gets any better I think he's a decent #3, and given he's only headed into his third year in the league and second year of playing time, I think he's just about guaranteed to get better. Once Bryant showed he can be a legit #2, I gave myself permission to stop worrying about the WR position for at least two years. I hope we don't draft one in the top half of this year's draft, and I'd be 100% fine not drafting one at all. Can't draft every position, and that's one where we're stacked, young, versatile and under contract.
    Or so I thought, at least.

17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree...would be silly to draft a receiver this year. I'm hoping we can concentrate on drafting a guy that is 6-8, 340 lbs, runs a 4.3 and can play every defensive position. Otherwise I will be happy with Trae Waynes or Landon Collins.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I can see where you and HugeSnack are coming from and I agree we have many other needs but I will say this. All it takes is one injury and we are average at best there and in this NFL it is all about offense. Do I want a WR in round one or two heck no but after that I want a WR and I don't want a WR as a 6th or 7th round "project" waste pick. In order to keep our offense going we need to add talent and resigning DHB don't fit that bill.