1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

beachum

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Dec 22, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just read he's being monitored this week for a back injury. MT said he's expecting him to play. this could be a serious hit to us if he doesn't respond. MT also said he may miss some practice time this week. would we bring up AV from the PS as a possibility to cover as a 3rd tackle if this gets worse throughout the week? not good news by any stretch though. :facepalm::cool:

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If Beachum can't go, Mike Adams will get the start at LT. Then get out your holy water, because he has looked terrible at LT in the past. He does an OK job at RT tackle however.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe A-Rod's doctor has something that can help him out?

4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If Beachum is hurting I'd almost be tempted to sit him vs the Bengals so he's healthy for the playoffs. I'd rather see Adams/Gilbert play LT for the last game of the season than the first game in the playoffs, even if the division title is on the line. It's not like the Bengals have a dynamic edge rusher, do they? Just the size/strength guys that Gilbert/Adams should match up well against.

5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Geez.
    Who knows how mobile Ben will be.

Run the Ball!

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!:

7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    get over it

Munchak's Johnson is longdong gone

beachum = benchum

fight another day

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree with this, Adams can get the job done for a game, let Beachum get better for the playoff run.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Since we're talking about Beachum, I hope we can improve the LT position next season, as well as the guard position. Those are definitely weak spots on the line and it shows when Bell often has nowhere to go, especially lately. We have had our moments for sure, but were still not a great rushing team. We struggle to run the ball with any kind of consistency. We still have more work to do on our Oline.

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah totally agree. A team can never throw enough resources at the OL. Hit on a couple guys in the draft and it can turn around a franchise, or solidify the continued success of an established one. The Cowboys went from the apparent NFC East cellar-dweller to the division champ, mainly because they bolstered their OL.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If Phillip Rivers can play with a bulging disc, Beachum can play with his back problem, pain killer shots before a game are a players best friend........

12. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Yep, Marvel Smith played seasons with a back injury. Easy for me to say though sitting on this comfy couch. :)

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Being a former Coach and loving Guard pulling schemes I still think we should have kept Big Doug and Sandwiched him between Decastro and Pouncey. I suggested this at the moment we got Pouncey and most where like why would you take a Pro bowl center and move him to guard ?

My answer is for balance and to get the most out of his talents. Pouncey looks like a true puller and the way DD has led the way could you Imagine having the same thing going to the right side ? Plus just Imagine the pitch and sweep possibilities as both of those guys have the speed to get out to either side . I dream of seeing Pouncey and DD leading Bell against a CB and a SS . Can't do that with Pouncey at Center .

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

The Steelers would not make their training staff available for comment concerning Harrison and Smith.

Smith said his back problems may have begun in 2003, his fourth year in the league, when he missed 10 games because of a pinched nerve. He wore a neck support, which he suggested forced him into a lower blocking stance. That resulted in more strain on his lower back and less flexibility in his ankle, he said.
    In 2005, Smith missed four games with two separate high-ankle sprains.

“The high ankle sprains are what I felt like led to my back problems,” said Smith, who played the first 12 games in 2007 with a herniated disc.

After undergoing his first discectomy in December 2007, Smith missed the final 11 games in 2008 and underwent his second discectomy the December before the Steelers' 27-23 win over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII. Smith got a second opinion from a California doctor who agreed with Maroon's recommendation before undergoing surgery.

“Marvel needed another operation because the disc wore out,” Maroon said. “He had subsequent problems. There's always a risk.”

In hindsight, Smith, who started 108 of 111 NFL games, won two Super Bowls and played in a Pro Bowl, said he would handle his situation differently and not be among players who played hurt as part of an unwritten team code.
    “I tell guys all the time, ‘To hell with the team,' ” said Smith, who lives in Los Angeles and trains college linemen for the NFL Draft. “I would make sure I'm healthy before I go back on the field.”

15. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I second the motion for improving the oline. Need a franchise left tackle and a replacement for Foster. But I wouldn't make it a priority as we have to give some love to the defense as far as top picks. Unless a stud falls in our lap during the draft.

16. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah but you are potentially creating a problem at two positions. Pouncey could play guard but the learning curve for him to get caught up would take at least a year and the new center getting comfortable with Ben and playing center.

I say just draft a guard and plug him in in front of Foster. Or let him sit and learn before taking over for foster.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd like nothing more than to move beachum to LG and get a good LT to put in his previous spot. if AV is that guy then so be it. that would also give us a LT backup with beachum if needed. hubbard I think will stay as a backup guard along with dr. wallace. a decision will be made with adams and gilbert, then again maybe they both stay as RT's. with AV putting on weight as they have said, maybe he's the real deal at tackle down the road, maybe not. I'm still all for camron erving in the draft if he's there. I do think beachum could be a good LG though.:cool:

18. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.. We'll be fine