1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

week 17 meaningless?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Dec 16, 2014.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Is there any scenario in which week 17 is a meaningless game? I'm thinking of getting tickets, but obviously don't want to end up watching a game that doesn't matter.

Should I wait until after this Sunday or is this game going to mean something regardless of what happens this Sunday?

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it either way. I've went to "meaningless" games and had fun at them too. It's just fun to be around the team and up close with the players and other fans. I was at Cowher's last game in Cincy and that wasn't a game with any kind of implications but it was still fun. My advice would be go either way but wait to get the tix because if it DOES wind up being meaningless you will get a much better deal. HOWEVER, if it DOESN'T wind up being meaningless then the tix might increase in value and there's that to think about too.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There were a few a couple of weeks ago but not now. It is basically win and they host a playoff game, lose and you have to be road warriors in a season where your road record is less than awe inspiring.

4. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Both games the terrible towels will be waving. Great game to go and see win or lose this week...

5. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    This is the game I was most worried about, but if it's not needed I'd play all second string and bench the starters. Be a good game for injuries that we don't need.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It's entirely possible that we're in the running for the division title.

7. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I can't think of a scenario where it won't mean something. The Steelers are going to have to win out to win the division. If they win against KC and the Bengals lose to Denver, Cincinnati can still overtake Pittsburgh with a win. If Pittsburgh loses to KC and Cincinnati wins against the Broncose, the Steelers will still be in the running for a playoff spot - though they will probably need help to get it.

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm expecting week 17 to be the most meaningful regular season game of the year.

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Even if Cincy loses to Denver, they can still win the division over the Steelers if they beat the Steelers. So it won't be meaningless. The difference between a wildcard and a division winner.

On the other hand, if San Diego, KC, Baltimore, Cincy, and Buffalo all win then I wonder if the Steelers will be knocked out of competition for the last wild card? Either way, I don't want to think about that scenario.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    In other words, you are expecting us to lose to the Chiefs?

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Wouldn't you rather play the first playoff game in Pittsburgh?

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What's the best way to get cheap tickets? Should I get them from a scalper on game day or should I get them ahead of time?

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Get your tickets. If the steelers win, Bengals win both will be going for a division crown and home playoff game. If steelers lose to Kansas city, they are going to have to win, to just get a playoff seed. Plus when this is all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers and Bengals play again in the wild card round.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes. I would rather play ALL of them there actually.

15. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    BUY THE TICKETS!!!

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    No, we lose, bungles and rats lose, we still have to beat the bungles in 17

17. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If we end with the same record as the Colts, do we win the tie breaker since we beat them earlier this year? I think that should be the way it should be.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The colts are in because they won their division. I've been saying forever that I'm ticked that Cincy is a half game ahead of us because of a tie they have with an opponent that we BEAT straight up! That's total bull! That should only come in to play against NON common opponents. When it is a common opponent that WE beat it should be counted as a half win. It should only be counted as a half win in that scenario if we LOST to the Panthers and Cincy TIED them. That rule should be looked at I think.

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the best would be win out and new england lose out .. we will be n°2 and a bye. i know sound difficult but who knows ? the jets and buffalo are in the same conference and can get an upset

20. Buffalo Bills Fan

Buffalo Bills Fan New Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Yeah this here helps out a bit.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

The way i did it of course Bills way. Chargers lost, Steelers over the Chiefs and Bengals and Broncos over the Bengals. The Bills win out play againest the Colts in there stadium. You guys play Ravens with the 4th seed into your stadium. If this goes along.

Doing this for Bills and Steelers way of course. Super rooting hard for u guys next two weeks, if Chiefs win we be screwed hard as well...

21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    No matter what, I believe the Cincy game will be meaningful for our team.... the only way it wouldn't be meaningful.... hmmmm I can't think of any reason. We lose this week and we'll need a win to make the playoffs, if we win this week, we'll need a win to secure the #3 or #4 seed. Go to the game.

22. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I AGREE
    no way this is a meaningless game
    I can't see any scenario of how it could be. Meaningless

hoping it is a chance to lock up a 3 seed

23. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Yep.

If Indy loses either of their final 2, and we win out... #3 seed!

GO!

24. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    This is in no way a meaningless game. We will be playing for seeding provided we beat KC. If we do not beat KC. We will be playing for a playoff spot. Week 17 is in no way a throw away week.

25. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    I know, and even with a win wk17, elimination is still possible. What a sickening thought. And that is highly probable if Cinci clinches a PO spot by beating Denver Monday night.] Who needs that?

I have been thinking that these games are as important as any the Steelers have ever played. How some don't see this is mystifying.

Simple solution: Beat KC. The rest is gravy