1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Art Rooney II

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by deljzc, Sep 29, 2014.

1. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    It's time to start and question who and what Art Rooney II stands for as an owner.

There is an old saying when it comes to generational wealth:

The first generation builds it (Art Rooney Sr.)
    The second generation rides the wave (Dan Rooney)
    The third generation drives it into the ground (Art Rooney II?)

Art Rooney II is the first generation here in Pittsburgh that hasn't know what it's like to be "somewhat" normal. He's been raised in the exclusivity of being an NFL owner.

He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. The value of his franchise has multiplied 10-20 times in his adult lifetime. He was given a franchise that basically has $250 million in revenue and NETS almost 15% of that in profit annually.

I am concerned Art Rooney is much closer to a "modern day owner" (Jones, Snyder, Kraft, et. al.) than he is like his grandfather and father.

The failures of commissioner Goodell and the NFL fall on Art Rooney's shoulders as much (or even more) than any other owner yet somehow we've given Art Rooney II the benefit of every doubt because of his last name.

Now the storied franchise is falling apart with a lack of leadership and it's worst head coach in 45 years under his watch.

Art needs to re-evaluate what/who he is. Is he a good-old boy croonie part of the Goodell backers that have their heads in the sand in regard to the degradation of the NFL (too many penalties, inconsistent personal conduct policy, the reactionary leadership of Goodell to public opinion), or is he going to stand up for something and be better than that (like his grandfather was)?

Is Art Rooney II swayed like all the other owners by the all-mighty dollar and try to squeeze every last ounce of revenue out of the NFL or is he finally going to stand up and say enough is enough?

There's an opportunity for leadership in Pittsburgh. His name carries a lot of weight. He needs to clean house both INSIDE the building and probably do a lot more to help shape the NFL than he has done to date.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is nothing wrong with Art Rooney, hes following the same blueprint that has yielded the most successful franchise in the NFL.

And thats not going to change because fans are impatient. They know how to build winning teams and know every coach has his ups and downs. Noll and Cowher both did as well.

Incidentally, the Steelers are the only team to vote against the CBA and defy Goodell.

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good work as normal Del ,but I don't agree with the Coach T part....I think the combo of Colbert,CBA, and DL has cut Tomlin off at the knees so to speak ...As a owner he can't do much if anything with the CBA ,however he could cut ties with Colbert and get a guy more in touch with the College Game and Spread type of Football play...

I would like to see the same thing done on the Defensive side and then Allow Coach T 1 or 2 drafts depending on our play and success before I want to cancel him...

Don't get me wrong I do see a lot of faults with Coach T ,but I just have a feeling he has that it Factor if the House is cleaned around him....Just a difference in opinion ,but we both agree that changes do need to be made we just differ in how to go about them....

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There is a difference between the Steelers now and the Steelers 10 years ago: the Rooney brothers sold their stake to several new investors who paid in the neighborhood of $100-200 million for their shares. Dan and Art II had to up their stake to 30% to comply with NFL ownership rules. I'm guessing they probably borrowed $100million on their own to this.

So in this regard they are very much like the new owners who payed big money for other NFL teams, they have loans to pay and are very interested in making sure that they max revenue and control costs. And even if Dan and Art want business as usual, they will hear their minority partners squawk about profit and cost.

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Well being that since Art Rooney II became team president, the team has been to 3 superbowls and we won 2 of them. I think he has done a great job.

And the Rooney's don't have near the close money to the Jerry Jones, Snyder, or Robert Kraft have.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You do know the Rooney's are only part owners right?

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    just curious , but rooney has to ask the other parts if he has to make an action or he is the man that can decide alone ? because this is a thing i don't really know ..

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm sure the Rooney's run the football team. I was speaking more to Deljzc's statement about them raking in all the profits.

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    guys we are 2-2. yes it was a bad lose but come on. how can you even question the Rooneys? we are relevant. go talk to some dolphin fans or raider fans. then you will realize the owners and front office arent the problems.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Art is like his dad. He doesn't panic, and that is a good thing.

One thing Art has his hands tied on is Goodell. Dan was instrumental in hiring Goddell. Canning Goodell would just make his father Dan look bad.

I think, Art has done okay so far.

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    yes i understood it , only you give me a doubt if he have to share the decisions . well at least we have only one man at the command of operation

12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Rooney is steady. Unfortunately, good teams get old and don't always re-build well and it takes a while to fix it. The Pats are about to go 2-2 and don't look much better than the Steelers.

13. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Good points but we are the Steelers and not the dolphins so 2-2 when we should be 3-1 is a major problem. We gave a game up at home to a young not very good team. We also held onto to win again at home against the brownies that is a problem. We don't do this (in the past) however, now we seem to be okay with average.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think part of the equation is these teams do not suck as bad as fans think. NE is about to be 2-2 and is getting killed 41-7. Theres not alot separating teams in the NFL.

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. The Falcons team that looked dominant against the Bucs was inept against the Vikings yesterday.

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    They were outside and on the road. That team is HORRIBLE on the road and in the elements. I don't know why but man they just can't play the same outside that dome. I've always thought dome teams were soft and that is a prime example of it yesterday.

17. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    True Blast but I hate the pats. I expect 16-0 or at least 15-1 every year!!! One can dream right?

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I could live with that dream :lolol:

As for NE, yeah, I enjoyed that can of whoop ass tonight :taunt:

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude you should have just seen Bill when a reporter asked him "will the qb position be evaluated this week". Man it was awesome. He has answered 2 questions in his presser without words! I guess he is just communicating via the force. LOL!

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw it :lolol:

Whoever said there are no stupid questions has never talked to Bill.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! FOR SURE! When NFL Network cut away I was ticked because he is extreeemely entertaining to watch in his pressers. What's funny if he is pretty much always the same even if they pound a team in to the ground or if they lose by a million. He cracks me up.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I mentioned this in another thread Del,
    but didn't go into as much depth. I hope Dan Rooney is capable of looking at this team at the end of the season and him and ArtII do make a change.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Not happy that Art II has come out and said Goodell is Teflon. The reason? Yea maybe to save a little face for his Dad, but lets be real here, it's about the money. Goodell has lined the owners pocket, as well as his own. Money, greed, power. The NFL has turned in a business first. Big business. So if the leader that he supports lies, and lies again and looks like a complete buffoon, no problem, he will get it right. With no recourse. The NFL has monopolized all major networks. So you have to walk on eggshells and be politically correct.

Art II will start to look at the product on the field if it's bad for business. The Rooney's are the majority partners.

Mike Tomlin will not be going anywhere after this season. Is it right? Chuck Noll had some bad seasons. So did Cowher. The Steelers don't panic they say. Well in this greed business of today if Tomlin doesn't turn it around soon and it becomes bad for business, he will be gone. Period. Until then, the Standard is the Standard.