1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers will select 20th in the 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Remahlehs, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why is everyone deciding what they can do before they do it? Some of you should never ever negotiate, you are doing the thinking for the person you are negotiating with and thats a terrible idea. They absolutely should kick the tires on Rodgers, Wilson and everyone else that maybe available for a trade.

Rodgers camp may find that there is no interest in parting with a large draft package, which could be the case at his age. If he gets a cold reception, that price will come down.

Wilson should definitely be a target and I’d be fine if they gave up two firsts for him and it would probably take a 2nd rd or maybe just a 3rd rd in conjunction with two firsts.

Dropping down a tier, I’d see if the asking price for Carr or Cousins isn’t too steep.

After that, I’d look at the draft. I disagree with peoples take on the QB’s this draft. I know everyone is in love with their super duper evaluation skills but QB is the hardest to nail down because it goes a lot deeper than just talent. Between the ears is a huge component of succeeding at the NFL level. They might have played themselves out of position to draft one, though. Which is why I think the first option will be to trade for one.

2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    He was under contract and coming off of a 5000 yard season . Not someone you just cut. We drafted Mason. The team had a first round grade on him. So they did do something it probably just didn't work. We will find out next season because he's most likely our starting QB.

3. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I'm not negotiating. Just speaking in terms of reality but yea we can all dream.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What kind of package do you think it will take to land Rodgers? I’m torn about what I would give up for him. He’s in good shape, QB’s don’t take a beating anymore, he could play 5 more seasons at a high level.

That was never a possibility for Ben, not taking care of himself came back to bite him in the end and of course, he was beat to hell over his 18 seasons.

Rodgers could be like Brady though. On the other hand, his play could fall off a cliff any season at his age.

5. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Rudolph looked decent and even an upgrade from Ben till he was hit and lost consciousness 2020 season. I think he came back too early and the OL was terrible. If he has a some what decent OL, and a running game, he might be just as good as any free agents available out there that are cap friendly. He looked good on that first Drive in Detroit, then he threw that interception and Canada handcuffed him. He had WR dropping and fumbling passes all over that game. Unpopular opinion, but I would leave Rudolph in there next year and fix other problems including Oline, ML and DE. Need a WR too as Chase Claypool is looking like a bust.

6. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Rodgers would probably cost at least 2 first round picks. I'm also guessing Rodgers would want to go to a contender to finish his career.

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    How were they not advancing for the future? It was pretty much an impossible task. At the start of the official NFL year last Feb they were 40 million over the CAP. You can argue with the draft, but that is how a team is built over years..not a single year. This year they actually have CAP room to resign and look at some possible FA help, then continue through the draft. I do not think this team is a player away, but we are not bottom dwellers either.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If we would get a top qb, via trade, I'd have to consider keeping one or two of our own as backups to learn from them. Mason and maybe even dobbs, if the price is right. Free agents for a couple of holes would be critical then. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They won 9 games with Ben and a first time NFL OC. Rodgers would make them a contender.

10. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    And you would pay that price for a 38 year old ? This team would not be a legit SB contender with any QB. The defensive issues and the O-line issues alone would prevent us from winning in the post season. That and our HC.

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    God only knows - LITERALLY. So many FA holes and $$ to be spent

it depends!!!!

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    agreed

kicked the can down the road again and again and again. sort of like we do in Washington.....now the Piper comes calling...

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Still on the fence about what I would give up for Rodgers. As I pointed out before, he could have the same longevity as Brady with todays soft rules.

I disagree with your evaluation of the team.

14. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    You honestly think we are a sb contender if we just had a better QB? what? lol. You think QB is the reason we were 9-7-1 and blown out in the first playoff game? (like every other playoff game we have been in over the last decade). I just don't know what to say about that. Wow

15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    We have arguably the worst OLine in football and one of the worst run Ds in football. You can stop right there and it wouldn’t matter who is QB if those things are not fixed.

16. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I think we all know but it doesn't fit into the narrative

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    100%. I look at it as the opposite of you, they WON 9 games with a completely washed up QB who threw the ball 4.7 yards per pass and avoided the MOF like the plague.

So many of you guys have a hard on for “blowing” up the team and it’s totally unnecessary. Fans are down on the defense yet they had about 6 games, maybe 8 games where they held opponents under 20 points. Some of those to 16 points or less. The bad games the defense did have was because of the complete ineptitude of the offense.

QB and line play is what shot this season to ****.

18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think we are more than just a QB away.

We get beat at the line of scrimmage almost every game both sides of the ball.

Need heavy investment to those areas.

Getting any QB doesn't make the Steelers instant contenders without fixing that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I’m not sure of your point. I agree with you. No good options in the draft, play Reindeer for 2022 because their record would probably be about what it would be with Ryan, and they have Reindeer already. So why trade for Ryan? Address other areas, and try to get a QB the year after. Maybe, by some miracle, Reindeer will develop but I doubt it.
    BTW, you misspelled “drunkard”.

20. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    You do realize yards per pass has a lot to do with your WR's and the offense you run?

Our defense just gave up 500 yards of offense and 42 points last night. They were dead last in the NFL in rushing yards per carry. Only 8 teams gave up more yards and only 11 teams gave up more points. 3 teams had few rushing yards and yards per carry. 28 other teams run the ball better than we did. We at least ranked 15th in passing. And you think that's all on the QB?

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm still not certain that the Raiders want to trade Carr. It's not as if they have a replacement on the roster.

Cousins might be more realistic, but they damn well better fix the offensive line first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

Ryan is supposedly going to be released. So I'm thinking in terms of possible FA signing. There is not much out here for FA QB's and Ryan is better than Mason... Prior to this season he was consistently one of the better QB's in the league. He struggled on a really bad team.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not in this case. The offense they ran was because of Bens limitations.

They need to sure up the run defense but it’s not as abysmal as their ranking suggests. There was a good breakdown of that, I’ll see if I can find it but a lot of it came on splash plays. They were solid in a lot of other areas of run D.

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Be that as it may, I see Ryan getting a better offer from another team. I don't know if he wants to be part of a rebuild.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    My new mock is up now everyone!!! Read here for more!!

Not as heavy as years past but that is due for newer members of the site!! Besides, more heavy detailed mocks to come!! :herewego: