1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2022 Steelers Mock Draft: Pre Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jan 17, 2022.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello everyone!! Welcome here yet again to another yearly segment of the 2022 Steelers Mock Draft. Yes, yes, the Steelers are still in the playoffs but it never hurts to look ahead towards the draft. Given the fact that the team does indeed need some new youth, along some of the most important positions no less, this year figures to be quite the unique challenge in terms of finding not just instant impact players but acquiring the future as well. To that end, this mock draft will focus solely on the ability to acquire both while understanding the current situation of the Steelers Roster at present. Now, before we begin, as always... a disclaimer;

These written statements by the author do not reflect nor are shared opinions of members of TheSteelersFans Message Board, Staff Members and/or Site Administrator.

To begin our 2022 Mock Draft, let us set the stage for what the teams three biggest needs are. By underlying these needs, we will be able to capture a clear idea as to which positions to look for. Be mindful of this as this will be used for all mock drafts going forward barring some EXTREME rhetoric or changes done overall. The positions are as follows with some explanations below for those who need some catching up;

1.) Quarterback: This one is quite obvious. Big Ben's clock sadly is inching closer and closer to midnight. While he shall no doubt be enshrined into Canton Ohio someday, the succession plans do not bring such confidence nor fanfare. Mason Rudolph is what he is at this point; a career backup. Dwayne Haskins on the other hand, left much to be desired heading into and the overall performance of the final Pre Season game. Neither can be counted upon to lead the team to the promised land.. much less lead the team to a winning season. Finding one as quickly as possible is key but reaching for one in the draft is illogical; doubly so when there are so few options to choose from.

2. Offensive Lineman: Realistically speaking, Interior Offensive Lineman should be the correct choice but I seriously doubt the Steelers give up on the likes of Kevin Dotson after an injury plagued 2021 season. This also goes for the likes of Kendrick Green; a very discouraging Rookie Season to say the least. Add in the likelihood of Chuks or Banner leaving in Free Agency and the scope for selecting an Offensive Lineman is that much greater. All three of these players careers can easily be changed with the Steelers First Pick as this years Offensive Lineman Class is the deepest and most talented it has been overall in some time. Yes, yes, the Interior Offensive Lineman class is top heavy in terms of the talent but the depth is sufficient enough. Offensive Tackles though?? Even Deeper than the 2020 class. For that matter, this Offensive Tackle class is giving off some serious shades of 2016 vibes. Should the QB that the Steelers target no longer be available in either Round One if at all, beefing up the trenches is a rock solid plan to boost not just the pass protection but the proficiency of the Running Game; Najee Harris being the spearhead moving forward.

3.) Cornerback: I understand the animosity against the likes of Devin Bush Jr. I also understand that, barring something extreme, the Steelers are not the team to just give up on their young players; doubly so ones that they traded up for in Round One. To that end, we need to look elsewhere in terms of a major issue. Enter the Corner position. James Pierre sadly is not who we thought he was, Justin Layne simply is not it, Joe Haden is likely out and it is fair to question as to how much Ahkello Witherspoon would command to stay in the Steel City. Even assuming that Ahkello signs long term, that still leaves a big chasm within the Corner position. The ideal replacement would be someone like Cameron Sutton but he has shown that he is best served in the slot. Another boundary Corner is needed and thankfully, this draft possess not only some of the best corner talent but also some of the best overall depth the position has seen in a draft class since 2017. In addition, one of the corners in Kaiir Elam is a player who possess NFL Bloodlines; Abram Elam being a former safety in the NFL for Seven Seasons and his uncle in Matt Elam being a former First Round pick himself. Given how Pittsburgh has shown to covet such players, look for him to be on the team's radar as the NFL Draft approaches.

Now that our guidelines are in place, it is time to officially begin our mock draft. Without further ado. onward to the 2022 Steelers Mock Draft!!

Round One, Pick 20: Malik Willis; Quarterback from Liberty University

Round Two, Pick 52: Daniel Faalele; Offensive Tackle from the University of Minnesota

Round Three; Pick 84: Wan'Dale Robinson; Wide Receiver from the University of Kentucky

*** Round Four, Pick 148: Josh Jobe; Cornerback from the University of Alabama ***

Round Six, Pick 172: Aaron Hansford; Linebacker from Texas A&M

Round Seven, Pick 196: Mike Miranda; Offensive Center from Penn State

Round Seven, Pick 212: Quentin Lake; Safety from UCLA

*** Denotes Comp Pick

Now, seeing as this is the first mock draft, I will not go over specifics for this one as much of the ground work has already been cleared out for us already. In addition, just like the Top 32, I will not be giving much analysis though unlike the Top 32, I will be saving my analysis for the second mock draft. This mock draft will be used for others to get a simplistic idea as to what to expect within the coming weeks.

Very short, sweet and to the point. That said, this shall be the only one. More mocks to come in the future but each shall be far more in depth than this. As another reminder, no, I have not forgotten about the next Top 32 Update nor the Top Five Positional Rankings either. Top 32 will be posted within the coming days while the only major problem I have now remaining with the Top Five is both the WR and QB positions. All other positions are set.

At any rate, here is to the new season of Steelers mocks!! What are your thoughts on this mock? Who are your picks for the Steelers? Please let me know down below as it always helps me out!! Thank you all once again for reading and I hope you enjoyed!! Until next time, take care and stay safe!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not a fan of drafting a project like Willis in the first round, he struggled against better competition this season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    “Struggled” is a kind word. I’m going to withhold my final judgment on Willis until I’ve watched more video on him and all of the other QBs. However, I have watched him several times this year and see nothing whatsoever that suggests that he’s anything better than a lottery ticket. I don’t want a poor man’s Lamar Jackson who is a lesser athlete, and has much less polish as a passer coming out. I probably wouldn’t trade pick #20 for Jackson straight up, so I sure don’t want a guy who is - best case - 90% of Jackson.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I think QB in this draft is going to be a serious lottery, no matter who you choose. The Senior Bowl and the Combine are going to see people shooting up and falling down all over the place. That being said, if we fix our o-line problems in the draft and free agency, we have the running back and receivers for a qb to succeed. We also have the fan base to absolutely destroy him when he doesn't win 13 consecutive games like Ben did.

5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Steelers are going to need to hit free agency hard before the draft. Try to find a Jeff Hartings and James Farrior type players - smart, veteran players, still with upside. Draft to fill remaining holes, but draft football players, instead of combine performers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. Some of what I've seen and read about Willis is that he lacks accuracy. That is a big red flag. I'm sure some people will point to Josh Allen, but he is the exception. Most guys who have issues with accuracy in college will have that same issue in the pros.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    You just have to wait till next year for the QB. The options really open up. They're predicting that as many as 8 QB's may go in the 1st. That's never happened.

Unless you're trading for Russ of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    https://overthecap.com/free-agency/

9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I love the positions taken, but maybe not the players (some of which I know nothing about). Hate Willis, and would love to see an ILB a bit earlier. Other than that, I like it overall.

• Like Like x 1
  11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The only pick I'm really feeling in this mock is faalele..... We clearly need to get stronger up front and start pushing the pile in the running game, and big Dan would be a great start

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I pretty much hate this draft. We need at a minimum a rg and rt. I still think Green can fix his issues, but they will have a plan b. I can’t see them taking a project qb in the first round with major needs along the offensive line. You want a great football team start in the trenches. Then add the qb.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    So very difficult to do without knowing how FA might work out. I think we're taking QB but I wouldn't. Like your 2nd rounder a lot.

I'd love something like Linderbaum and Faalele in 1 and 2. Trenches need to be much better. Add that to a FA OT and CB and we'd have something.

16. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Needs:
    QB
    NT
    C
    OT
    *CB
    *SS
    **MLB

QB: If Carson Strong performs well in the Senior Bowl and at the combine, he could make the shortlist for 20th overall. If he does perform well and his knee is given the clear, as it's expected, I would take him. I know in today's game people, including our HC, are enamored by QB mobility, but it is a highly overrated attribute. Arm talent is far more important, and Strong is the best arm talent in the draft.

NT: The run defense was a liability this past season, and Alualu is old and cannot stay on the field. If QB isn't a viable option 20th overall, I look next to see if there's a worthy NT.

C: I think we all agree that Green was not good at all, even by rookie standards, but neither was anyone on the OL. Even Dotson looked iffy on occasion. Which leads me to believe a big part of the problem was our under-qualified OL coach (who bolted to college ball as soon as he could). If a clear upgrade over Green is available, I would take him and move Green back to his natural G position.

OT: Moore did pretty well for a rookie playing LT. He was thrown to the wolves and fought well. So I'd look for a RT. I'm done with Banner; he can't stay healthy and isn't all that great even when he is. Chuks has not developed much - which again could be an issue with the OL coach.

*The Steelers have historically been bad at both drafting and developing secondary talent, so CB and SS can be addressed with the mountain of cap space available if any major changes will be made there.

**I know a lot of people were not happy with Devin Bush this past season, and that's deserved. However, it being his first season back from ACL repair, I'm willing to give him a mulligan. If he looks bad again next season, it will be time to draft another MLB.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hell yes to pick one. After watching the game last night I’m more convinced than ever they need to draft Willis. His talent is off the chart and his ceiling is that high which they are going to need in order to keep up with those teams. Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow will be nearly impossible to beat without equal talent opposing them.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    College quarterbacks who struggle with accuracy tend to become pro quarterbacks who struggle with accuracy. Allen is a rare exception. Willis's passing numbers this past season weren't that great, especially when you consider the level of competition. He seems to be a much better runner than passer, which creates a very limited offense that will not be able to keep up with the likes of the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I disagree. For all the accuracy complaints, he had 12 interceptions. He has an amazing arm and can make any throw and obviously can kill you with his legs. He has no one on his team that even comes close to NFL talent. That alone will make a difference. Put a team around this guy and watch him excel.

I understand that the risk for him to be another Hurst is there but the potential for what he could be is too great to pass up, IMO.

His floor maybe Hurst but his ceiling could be Allen which he is being compared to.

Quarterback-needy teams should see plenty of Allen in Willis," Trapasso wrote. "No, he's not as big. He doesn't quite have Allen's arm. But parallels between the two are there, critical ones."

From a report:

As Trapasso explained, Willis has plenty of strengths, and his weaknesses showed up primarily against teams with superior talent. On an even playing field, he shined:

"Willis has game-altering arm talent, and he's a dynamic, powerful runner with the football in his hands. His decision-making is questionable at times. He played at a smaller school. His auditions against Power 5 schools were duds. All very Allen-like.

"... The fact was, in contests in which Wyoming had talent close to its opponent, Allen was mostly good and at times spectacular. That's precisely how I felt watching Willis' outings against Troy, Old Dominion, Syracuse, UAB, and Eastern Michigan."

Like Allen, Willis may struggle early in the NFL. That reality is likely to scare away a few teams who are looking for an immediate starter and looking to win now. Teams willing to be patient—as the Bills were with Allen—could see him as a future star.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm leaning more and more to strong. he's probably the best of the bunch as far as smarts on the field. so, it probably won't happen. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If I remember correctly, Allen made a mechanical adjustment early in his NFL career. Does Willis have a mechanical flaw to be fixed and the will and mentality to fix it? I have no idea.

Willis had some crappy games as a passer against lesser competition, too. As with Dobbs, you are allowing yourself to be sucked in by a running quarterback.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Malik has better physical talent than Hurts, both arm talent and athleticism. He’s closer to a Vick or Lamar Jackson on those traits (though stronger). When you combine speed, strength and arm talent, the best comp physically could be Vince Young, though shorter in stature. Vince was so physically dominant that he almost single handedly won a national championship game. The problem is that when you watch Willis’ tape the lack of any consistency stands out. Yeah, there are some great highlight reel plays. I mean, total “wow” plays. But we’ve seen that before in the NFL. Wow plays are great, but if a QB can’t consistently make the routine plays to keep possession and score points when the defense takes away the “wow” plays, the team isn’t going to be consistent enough to win 3 or 4 in a row in the postseason (this is what we see from Jackson right now).

To be clear, I’m not saying that it’s impossible for Willis to be great. The physical talent is there. I think he’s a little slower and less elusive than LJ, but stronger. He has all the arm strength needed to make any throw, and force defenses to defend the entire field even when he’s running around the backfield. However the odds are not with him. A team will need to make all of the right moves in developing him and putting the right pieces around him. The Ravens are a great franchise and have been doing that with LJ, and they have one postseason victory to show for it (against an underachieving Tannehill). I don’t think that Willis has any more physical talent than LJ, and he’s pretty far behind what LJ was as a passer coming out of college.

When a team wins a championship with a QB who runs by design as a key part of the offense, I’ll start to believe in that strategy being viable. In another post you noted that if you draft wrong on an early round QB, you lose 3 years. I agree. I want probability at least somewhat on our side.

If we do draft Willis, we need to go all in and fully redesign the offense and find mirror-image types of backup QBs to ensure that we can run the same offense when Willis misses time. I would sign Mariota to be our 2022 starter and immediately jettison Rudolph and Haskins (which I’d like to anyway). Dobbs can compete for a roster spot. I am not advocating for that at all. I’d rather take the tried and true route of developing a pass-first QB.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dobbs I just felt is a better overall QB then both Jones and now Rudolph and haven’t seen anything to dissuade me of that.

Yes, I like QB’s that have an added dimension to their game, I don’t think anyone here would be upset to have a Josh Allen type QB leading the way. For some reason people keep thinking that people who prefer running QB’s don’t care if they can throw, we care, we want them to be able to thrown, we just disagree with the assertion that they can’t throw or that certain prospects can’t throw.

I like Willis not just because he can run but because he can do this.

He has a strong arm and can make any throw on the field.

Just as I felt the accuracy concerns about Allen were overblown, I feel the same way about Willis and he has sky’s the limit talent.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The accuracy concerns with Allen were absolutely valid. He adjusted, but that is rare. Jackson just seems like a better comp for Willis as a passer and that is not a good thing. He was also a much better player in college than Willis.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t think so and since those types of faults aren’t normally overcome, I’d say they were overblown.

Watching him play the first two years and people piling on him I thought they were crazy.

Time will tell about Willis. I hope GM’s buy into those reports as well. Hopefully he falls to the Steelers who have shown an interest in him.