1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Real JuJu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 1, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I never said anything as to why Ben has beef with JW but he does and it was pretty obvious, I hope that is over and JW gets a chance but I don't see it. Now as for the "onus" on JW no it is not on him it is solely on Ben. This goes back to the thread 2 years ago about Ben calling him out. He had something like 25 target and caught 8 of them at that point, many of which we not very well thrown. Fast forward to this past season and JW had a pretty good season with some bad QB play, that tells ya he can ball. Ben has to give him the chance and that is my point, with all the weapons now he might not get that chance. jmo

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    All the talk about Ben's beef with JW, or Ben calling out JW, or Ben not throwing to JW can be easily put into perspective when you realize a couple things at the core of the issue.
    1. At the end of the 2107 season the Steelers "promised" Ben they would shore up the defense.
    2. 3 months later the Steelers use their 2nd and 3rd round picks on the combination of JW and MR.
    3. To Ben's credit, he did not go postal!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My point is the Steelers felt a strong urge to strengthen their receiving corps. Washington needs his A game to stay on the field or Ben will beef about it.

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree that JW needs to bring his A game but I think Ben will be over his issues with him because he now sees him as a good receiver and the left-right combo (drafting JW and MR instead of getting help for the D) that Ben took from the Steelers is a fast fading memory.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry but you don’t draft a team based on what your QB wants. There are many other factors that go into building a team and if they did draft defense does that guarantee it would of resulted in more wins? They could of missed on the selections like they’ve done before and every team does. They actually did take D 1st. Ben should worry about being the best Ben he can be. He’s had his great moments but he’s also had moments that cost us games as well. No matter how he felt about it he shouldn’t of whined about it and if you remember because you and I have discussed it before.....Ben was the one threatening retirement before MR came along. Which is why they took MR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You're missing the point. Ben was infuriated that the undisciplined and unaccountable defense was consistently throwing away games. He threatened retirement and had a "come to Jesus" meeting in which the Steelers promised him they would fix the D .......and three months later they use the 2nd and 3rd round picks on a QB and his favorite target.

The message was sent loud and clear that what Ben wanted didn't mean squat. And in the next year, Ben lead the league in passing and the D continued to throw away games.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We could argue this forever both ways. Ben should worry about being the best Ben he can be and leave the decision making to management. I don’t think any message was sent loud and clear other than they were trying to build a team. Ben also lead the league in attempts and RZ INTs and threw 16 INTs total but don’t let that ruin a good story. Some could even argue that a offense that threw the ball nearly 70% of the time wasn’t exactly conducive to helping a defense and winning games and who was responsible for such a lopsided strategy? Yup. Ben. Why? Very likely contract extension. So again , Ben should worry about Ben especially when it comes to discipline and accountability....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    16 ints is about par for Ben, he likes to get rid of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    IMO, Bens threatening to retire had to do with one thing and one thing only. Haley.

And then after Haley was gone, Ben suddenly wants to play 10 more years.

I think the only reason Ben was ever upset about Rudolph was because he doesn’t help Ben winning another championship in any way. Plus, you could argue Ben was tight with Landry and saw the writing on the wall.

I don’t think Ben has any influence on who the team drafts. At most, they may take his input but in the end, their board is shaped by a years worth of scouting, interviews and workouts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I expect bounce back seasons from both of them, and both of them are in their contract years.

• Like Like x 2
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You’re right it is. The point I’m trying to make is most people only want to point to his yardage in 2018 without telling the whole story ,which also includes not making the playoffs which he has to share the blame for as well. It shouldn’t always be about credit and never blame. If you look at his TD/INT ratio it was barely 2 to 1. When you look at some of the numbers other QBs put up in 2018 the yardage Ben threw for doesn’t seem as impressive especially when considering his attempts which led the league. I don’t like getting into these discussions because I get labeled a Ben hater when all I do is show there are two sides to every story. I can readily admit he’s a great QB and the best chance we have of being success the next 2 years but it doesn’t mean he walks on water either. JMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The onus on Ben is to lead the team to the playoffs. He needs to up his game too, not be there to pad his HOF credentials. If that means more rushing less pass splash...yeah I should give up on that one.

Edit: will he keep Switzer on the team? lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    While those things are true, the fact that you constantly bring up things that shed a negative light on Ben, and the fact that you believe that this organization would let Ben push them around, says it all.......Ben hater!:hehehe:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

While I do believe that the team does play into what Ben wants in terms of the draft at times, more often than not, the choices that are made are not entirely because of or due to his statements or suggestions. Take Chase Claypool for example. Even with James Washington, the original "Thermonuclear Option", Ben nor he could click. Thanks to COVID-19, their ability to so will take an even bigger hit.

Moreover to the point though. Chase Claypool, to me, is more than just James Washington insurance. He also acts as Vance McDonald insurance as Vance has been hurt far too often. Having another big bodied target, one as a Wide Receiver no less, will help greatly.

In short?! The Steelers are doing what is in the best interest of the Steelers. Ben can state what is in the best interest of Ben all he wants. The Rooney's have and will continue to have the final say. End of discussion.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Who are these Rodney's?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It won't matter if he has his A game or not if Ben don't give him a chance. Last season he led the team in yards he showed when given a chance he can do it something Ben never gave him. JW has an A game but I fear he won't get a chance now with all the other weapons and the fact that Ben don't like to look his way anyways. jmo

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Winner winner chicken dinner...............

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, I’m having chicken for dinner.

Amazing where you can get inspiration for meal planning.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m not sure where the notion that Ben has any particular issue with James Washington is coming from. JW struggled his rookie year (as many rookie wideouts do) and he was no. 3 behind the best WR duo in the league that year in AB and Juju, Vance was also doing well that year as was James Conner so it’s no surprise JW’s targets were limited. I know he called him out at some point that year but I believe that was meant as constructive criticism.

When Ben returns I expect him to throw to JW if he is open, same as every other receiver in the team

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Had it last night and now leftover for lunch.......lol

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Go back to the thread where Ben called out him on his radio show. I think that lasted for a few months much to read and no sense repeating again when you can go read it all right. There is/was an issue

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    @Roonatic you can disagree all you want but there was a problem with Ben and JW that is pure fact!!!!!!

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/t...n-needs-to-make-that-catch.20986/#post-625656

Feel free to relive all this again if you think there wasn't a problem with them 2. End of November and the kid had just 8 catches in like 25 chances and then called out. The following year JW leads the team, Ben wasn't there.......just sayin!!!!!! Now I am not trying to bring up old wounds I hope they use JW cause he has shown he can play I just think with the new weapons and not being high on Ben's list he won't get that option.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well the kumbaya was fun while it lasted :lolol:

I think that tough love was exactly what JW needed to hear. He started playing better after that. I also never saw anyone say that JW shouldn’t have run through that catch instead of diving. If you want to say that was something for Ben to discuss in private, fine, I don’t want to rehash that argument again but JW was definitely wrong for diving. He runs through it, probably a TD.

When I say the onus is on Ben now, it’s because JW showed he is capable last year so it would be hard to blame JW now.

There’s also the real possibility that JW and Ben just never click, I can see JW falling behind the others and being forgotten if he and Ben struggle out of the gate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The truth in this statement has been proven before too. Lance Moore was a heck of a slot receiver for the saints and we all figured he would pick up where Cotchery left off but he never clicked with Ben and we saw what happened. Zero production and he is gone a year later. If you click with Ben it goes 75% more likely that you will be targeted, a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1