1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Browsing through The Bill Nunn Draft Room history...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SC Gamecock, Apr 21, 2017.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Last night I started browsing through this board from the past 4-5 years. One person's mock draft, they had us taking Leveon Bell in the 4th, but that they weren't really crazy about that pick if it played out. Another person mentioned something along the lines of if Shazier is available at our #15 pick that year, he'd be a good pick, but wouldn't be a dominating player.

There were a few others...but it's really interesting to go back and look at what people on here have thought of players before they entered the league. It's amazing how things can change in either direction...

2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh and DeCastro. I think someone had said something a month or two before the draft that it looked like he was starting to slip down toward us in mocks. Mentioning at what point should we trade up to get a player of his caliber. man that worked out beautifully! :cool:

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If you continue to do this, make sure that any of my posts that you resurrect are the ones that make me look smart (like the thread where I raised a red flag on drafting Jarvis Jones), and not the ones that make me look dopey (like saying that Justin Gilbert was the best corner prospect in his draft class). Your cooperation is appreciated.
    Sincerely
    The Management

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, I wasn't going to be "that guy," but yes...someone mentioned trading up for Justin Gilbert. I forgot about that one...

Another example of how interesting it is how things play out. We get him a few years later and amounts to nothing...

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    We're amateurs.... I completely missed on shazier, had my mind somewhere else...

Gil Brandt is an old pro and last year he had Artie Burns ranked #99, that's the end of the 3rd rd, Comp pick territory.....

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I always love going back to do it.

I just wish the old original steelers message board had archives.

I have personal notes going all the way back to '05 when I started to become a draft hound. Some good, some bad, some disasters.

Was not a fan of Heath Miller pre draft in '05.

Preferred to Sinorice Moss to Santonio Holmes in '06 (although to my credit, I wanted Nick Mangold that year.)

Correctly called Jamarcus Russell a bust in '07. Called Joe Thomas one of the greatest OT prospects I've ever seen. Would have given a kidney to get Adam Carriker in a Steelers uniform. Loved Timmons but probably would have taken Leon Hall.

In '08 correctly labeled Vernon Gholston and Jeff Otah busts. Wanted Mendenhall. Oops.

In '09 loved guys like Mack, Oher, and Hakeem Nicks. Hated Hood. Knew he wouldn't work in a 3-4. Unfortunately anyone was good by the time we selected. Wanted either Laurinaitis or Malalauga at that point.

Was cool with Pouncey in 2010 but would have selected Kyle Wilson or Sean Weatherspoon. I was not very high on Earl Thomas.

In 2011, outside of Newton i didnt think there were any 1st round QBs. Had a great laugh when Locker, Gabbert and Ponder all went top 12. Once again, would have given up a kidney to get JJ Watt. Was very high on Mike Pouncey, thought he was better than Maurkice. Liked Heyward but at that point I was all in on Ras-I Dowling.

In 2012, I thought Luke Keuchly was overrated. Really loved Dre Kirkpatrick. Wanted Hightower the whole way but when Decastro slipped, it was a no brainer.

Was all in on Jarvis Jones in 2013 but wasn't sure he would fall to us. Thought his production and tape showed a can't miss prospect. Ignored age and measurables. I was also really high on his college teammate Alec Ogletree. Fell in love with that Georgia defense as a whole that year.

Pounded the table all year for Shazier in 2014. Was so happy when we took him. Loved Moseley in that spot too. Was also really high on Justin Gilbert and Bradley Roby too.

Loved Marcus Peters in 2015 despite him being kicked off the team. Went earlier than us. Was not big on Bud Dupree.

Last year was probably the least I was involved in doing research along with 2015. Definitely fell in with the William Jackson III and Billings crowd that was on the board here. Definitely was thrown for a loop with the Burns pick as he was not on my radar at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Guys I loved that we actually took were Bell, Tuitt and Shazier. I remember liking the Dri Archer pick (lol). I was super high on Marqise Lee, kinda liked Dennard. Wasn't super thrilled with Dupree, but did think he had a high ceiling, just a big project. Hated Kelvin Benjamin. Liked Doran Grant and wasn't high on Jesse James.

Total mixed bag for me.

8. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Does the OP suggest Shazier is dominant? He's certainly flashed, but I wouldn't consider him dominant.

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    He may not be dominant but he is starting to look like the special playmaking LB we thought he was when we drafted him. At #15, what are you trying to draft. A pro bowl potenting prospect.

He does it all. Tackles. Tackles for loss. Sacks. Force fumbles. Interceptions.

Still is having trouble staying healthy for 16 games a year which is certainly a concern.

Still, I don't think there's too many people feeling remorse for selecting Shazier.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Nope, not feeling remorse at all. I was crestfallen when Fuller was taken at Pick #14. Once Fuller was gone, my guy was Jeremiah Attaouchu, who I thought was going to be essentially the same player as Terrell Suggs. Not one of my finest draft evaluation moments.

I don't think there was any indication that health would be an issue for Shazier, and that's really his only significant flaw. He's not a perfect tackler and will whiff upon occasion, but his range allows him to make tackles that most LBs can't even get close to making, so that's a wash IMO. If he were a steady 16 game starter he'd be a perennial Pro Bowler IMO.

11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think I had Shazier rated as my 11th or 12 prospect on my big board. Not quite a dirty secret, but something inside of me wanted to draft him from the time he was a freshman.

My analytical mind thought Hilbert and Moseley were safer and potentially better selections. I was dumbfounded when the Browns traded up and took Gilbert. Definitely thought he was coming to us at #15.

I had the higher ceing on Shazier but a much higher floor on CJ Moseley. In retrospect, doesn't look like either choice would have been wrong. Moseley may have the slight edge as Shazier's health has held him back, but even after the fact I like Shazier more.

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    When he's 100 percent healthy he really shows that he CAN be a dominant player. It's really only his health holding him back.

My favorite Shazier stat is in the 5 games he started in the playoffs he's has 48 TKL, 2 INT, 2 FF, 1 FR, 4 PD. Essentially he's good for 10 tackles, a pass defended and a turnover every single game. That's pretty dominant in the games that matter the most.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My goodness man he is the second or third best player on the team.He is a superstar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Seriously?? :facepalm:

When he's healthy, he's dominant...

15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011