1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

You're Going to Hate me Mock - Final

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Apr 27, 2021.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This is assuming Najee Harris goes before pick #24. If not, I think he's the pick and this whole mock goes awry. I had OT and Travis Etienne on previous versions but I am just not getting the Etienne vibe for some reason. And as KC has stated, the draft is deep at OT and C, so I think they wait til day 2 and 3.

I think they are going into this draft with the most legitimate needs in recent memory. Really the only two positions you could eliminate would be WR and DL. Coupled with the fact the Steelers have very little cap room to sign FAs if a need is not fulfilled, I feel the only option is to trade down and get as many swings at the plate as possible. And yes, we hear it every year, but if there is a year to actually do it, this is the one. A good GM will make the best of what is available, a great GM will manipulate the draft to create more opportunities.

And if Najee Harris is selected prior to #24, then I feel they will be comfortable with the targets available at the end of the 1st. I think Buffalo would like to jump Jax for Etienne. Trading to the top of the 2nd would be the perfect scenario imo. I don't know for sure what they'd get in return, but you'd have to assume you would be getting the other teams 3rd rounder. If its a team at the top of the 2nd, naturally their 3rd would be at the top of the 3rd. If its Buffalo for example, two 3rd rounders is nice, but both picks would be towards the end of the round. I'm sure some late round picks would be exchanged as well.
    I really don't want to hear the "gotta have a trade partner" argument as I think the phone is ringing for most teams at every pick. Someone is always looking to deal. So for this exercise, I'll have two options for the 3rd depending on who the trade partner is.

Trade down late 1st or early 2nd - Eric Stokes CB Georgia

I'm sure most of you will hate this and I'm not entirely sold either but KC, MT and new DB coach Grady Brown was at the pro day and you can't coach speed. He has some warts for sure, but they lost Nelson, Hilton, probably Justin Layne and Haden is in his final year. You have Cam Sutton and James Pierre. In regards to Caleb Farley, I think KC sticks to his guns when he said he would grade guys who sat out lower. Plus Farley has the injury history. I think Landon Dickerson would be a no brainer except for the injury history as well. That's tough for me to overlook, maybe the Steelers feel different.

My personal pick - stay at 24 and take Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma St or Greg Newsome CB. Neither of whom they've shown interest.

2nd - Trey Sermon RB OSU

If TE Pat Freirmuth is there, he WILL be a Steeler. But I think he goes early to mid 2nd. Everyone knows they need a RB and their love of Sermon seems to be well known. The case can be made for RBs later on and I could make a strong one myself. But ARII will be on KC to address it early.

3A - if early 3rd - Quinn Meinerz IOL Wisconsin Whitewater
    3A - if 3(87) - Spencer Brown OT Northern Iowa

Couple small school guys but that's never stopped them before. Both aggressive and Quinn can go to C while Brown fights it out with Chuks.

3B - if 3(87) - Spencer Brown OT Northern Iowa
    3B - if a later 3rd - Derrick Barnes LB Purdue

They re-signed VW98 for one more year, but depth is very thin.

4A - Robert Hainsey IOL Notre Dame

I think Colbert will be more comfortable only trading down to the late first round, so the Quinn Meirnerz pick probably doesn't happen, therefore Hainsey comes in to compete for starting C day 1.

4B - Elerson Smith OLB Northern Iowa

Bigger dude at 6'6" 250. Gives the 2 starters an occasional breather and has the chance to get stronger for NFL competition.

6 - Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU

Hopefully still available at this point, he's projected a little higher but with the smaller size you never know. Slot CB candidate to throw into the mix.

7A - Luke Ferrell TE OSU

Man, I hope he is still available here. Gentry is super inflatable wavy arm guy just like I said when they drafted him and although Rader has shown promise, TE depth is very thin. Steal here in the 7th imo.

7B - Pressley Harvin P Georgia Tech

do I need to explain?

• Like Like x 2
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You’re right. I hate you.
    Now I’ll go back and read what you wrote.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I hate you.

How could I hate you, you want my main man Jenkins!

I think you should swap those Sermon and Meinerz picks. I doubt Sermon will go before rd 4, and Meinerz probably won't make it out of the 2nd. But, he could.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I couldn't parse the algorithm to determine who you actually mocked to the Steelers.

But I still don't hate you.

• Like Like x 1