1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Corps

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm having a hard time liking this unit moving forward with the exception of Claypool.

• JuJu is too slow to be a #1, definitely had a down year, and he is an ass.
    • DJ is starting to remind me of Markus Wheaton with all his drops. I don't know if I can call him a #2. Dont know if I can really trust him at all?
    • James Washington is reliable, but doesn't have break away speed on deep routs.

What is the future of this group? Can they grow into what we need them to be, or do we need to go back to the draft?

One thing I think would be good is bringing in a REAL veteran, who will provide REAL leadership. I'm thinking of something like when Ravens brought in Steve Smith, Derrick Mason, or Anquann Boldin.

Maybe we need to draft a real deep threat that can take the top off of coverage? Even Claypool was struggling to run away from DB on deep routes.

2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I like it. With a better scheme, Clay, DJ and Wash should make a real nice trio. For sure, they need to mature more. Add a 4th from somewhere because JJSS will get paid elsewhere. And, yes, I'd hire Doug Pederson. :cool:

3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I've been saying that I can't see them not drafting another 2-3 WR this year. I think Juju is gone, and D.J. isn't exactly mr. reliable.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers should try to get Julio Jones from Falcons. Jones, Claypool, Washington and DJ would be a badass WR corps. OK, I'll wake up now... it's a pipe dream... Steelers are broke and in cap hell.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    JuJu is playing a lot better than he gets credit for, dude had a 157 yards yesterday and a TD.

DJ is like 7-11, hes open all day. He’s a stud and his drops havent been as bad since that 3 game stretch when the whole team was treating the ball like it covered in Covid.

Claypool is obviously going to be a tremendous player.

JW is a reliable, move the chains and big splash play when they need.

They’ll probably draft another one because JuJu will likely move on in free agency but whether he stays or they replace him, I am very comfortable with this group.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Someone said we should go after AJ Green. He’s a FA and shouldn’t cost much. I’ve always thought he was a stand up guy and could provide the needed leadership. If not bring in Hines Ward as a coach/mentor

7. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't mind our WR's, we'll know about Juju before the draft..... bigger concern is RB, TE, OL and a future QB..... a lot of offensive needs

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    I’d let Juju go. He had a few years of decent production but he’s nowhere mature enough to be your paid guy. His social media takes precedent over anything and if you can’t tell your blind. Normally players “get it” and mature but he clearly hasn’t proven his antics over the last few weeks. His talent is easily replaceable and that money can be used on a #1 running back. This group needs a vet wide receiver for leadership badly.

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Agreed—- JuJu was never supposed to be a #1!!! Solid blocking moving the chains possession WR...... He’ll get us a comp pick

The other three have issues somewhat but in total they are a talented group we can win with..... just need better playcalling and a QB to get them the ball where they can do Mac damage.

Cajun

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just don't trust DJ anymore. His hands are costing us games.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    If DJ can get his drop issues under control, then I feel extremely confident in him, Claypool and Washington (so long as we can get a better offensive game plan) ….. I'm pretty sure JUJU will sign elsewhere as a FA, and we will find another diamond in a draft that's nearly as complete, if not more so than last yrs class

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Dj and Chase can be stars, Washington could be a lot more than he has shown. Agree with everything you said

13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I like Washington to take JuJu's spot.

More curious to see what they do with Ebron; The man who just started dropping everything.

Ebron's 2021 Cap hit 8.5 mil saved if release 6 million.

14. Hearts / Steelers

Hearts / Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2018
    WR's are fine. (Assuming one or two of them can grow up)
    Stating the obvious, but we need OL replacement first and foremost followed by a replacement for Ben. Now THAT is the scary bit.

BTW, that's not to disparage Ben. He has given us all many, many reasons to celebrate and for that I will always be thankful but I really believe, even if we have no heir apparent, it's time to walk away. (unless he's short of a few bob :rolleyes:)

15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    JuJu may not be a #1 but there is no one I trust more than him when you need a first down catch. Dude is tough, strong, plays hard, and has no worry about going over the middle and taking the hits. His hands are solid, and he makes plays.

He's 24 and the social media stuff will be fixed with maturity.....put it in his contract......but on the field, dude is solid.

For those saying he is AB 2.0....please.....what AB was doing and what JuJu does are nothing alike. AB was an *******, always was.....he's also a criminal. His social media posts were about his selfish need for money and power.

JuJu is a decent dude, great community guy, charity work......he's the type of guy you want around and representing your team........the taunting can be worked on, hard to find character like his combined with his skill and toughness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

From what Ju Ju is posting today, IMO its like he is afraid the Steelers wont try to resign him , "He really wants to stay here, loves the city fans, doesnt wana play anywhere else" I think he can be a chain mover when called upon, but he needs to stop with the kid bs, .. To be fair Ben really hasnt looked his way this season, untill the last 3 games I get the impression that $$ isnt that big of a deal to him :shrug:

17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    We all did and said stupid **** at age 24...I understand he makes a lot of money but he's 24. Do we need to go into Ben's issues in his 20's? If JuJu's worst offense is he teases too much on social media, it can be dealt with.

• Like Like x 1
  18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    But it's not dealt with. There doesn't appear to be any rules on this team. That shouldn't surprise me though, we have a coach who tried to interfere with an opposing player. Tomlin needs to go or there's no hope for this team

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not think it was not Ben looking for him, the route tree was just not there for him with a 2 second window. Never had a problem with his play..and never felt some of the stupid routes he had to run were his fault..just doing his job with what he was told do do. Best blocker, tough, and fought for every yard. With continued growth and improvement, he, DJ and Chase would make a terrific set of WR, I just do not think they have the bucks to resign him, someone is going to make him an offer we cannot compete with, wont be the top money, but really good money..whether its a big deal to him or not...it will be hard to turn down.