1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wow ! TJ Watt has a lot of value right now.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RichD, Mar 15, 2021.

1. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Bud gets 16 mill per. Lawson $17 . JJ $15 . Wowsers !

Bears ready to move on from Mack and Broncos too from Miller money . Too much $$$ for a Defense player.

Watt on 5th year option around $11 mil , then 2022 tag of going rate or extension.

We need a top flight QB , like real soon . We need to move up in drafts .

Chances are at worst we go 8-8 next year. Maybe 7-9 , But that gets you slim pickings for a QB.

What could TJ bring us right now ? To put us in the real deal QB hunt for 2022.

Maybe we could ask for a 1st round pick from the Jets in 2027 draft , I `n hope of landing Archie Jr. ?

Trading a Defensive player for a chance at a 13 year starter at QB seems like a good move.

I want the picks for next year 2022 to give us time to evaluate. I think we could land more for TJ trade if we want next year picks plus others . Can Colbert set us up for the next decade on QB ? I think he would relish the challenge before he heads off to retirement.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    2027?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

You know. 2027. Our future elite QB is still a High School Sophomore. We have to give the kid time to develop still. The future is looking bright. We will just have to bite the bullet and sign him/her/it to a billion dollar 2nd contract though once he/her/it lands us that elusive 7th SB and wins league MVP.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't think the OP is out of line. If they could land a franchise QB and lose TJ Watt, I think it's a win. I remember the years between TB and BR and I'm too old to have to wait that long for a chance to see them win another SB. I wanted them to be sellers after that collapse last season anyway because this team was/is too expensive for the next to nothing they've accomplished the last ten years. But, if you say "Trade TJ Watt, trade Minka, trade Claypool!? What? That's outrageous! Those guys are irreplaceable!" No they're not. Ben is irreplaceable. Terry Bradshaw was irreplaceable. But, people get deluded into thinking this team is something it isn't because a broken down 39 year old QB gives them hope for one more season. As the man said:

barrett.png

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Could we keep Watt, and trade Tomlin?? That way By 2027 we should have a Super Duper coach that could coach lil Archie up :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Bradshaw was replaceable, but the Steelers screwed up on their evaluations by taking Mark Malone and later Rivera over Marino. In today's NFL Marino would have been the #1 overall pick after his junior year. Of course this is hindsight, but other than Malone, the Steelers did not invest a #1 in a QB until Roethlisberger. The lesson to be learned is do what you have to do to get the franchise QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Should I make that "if" bigger? You're right, on paper. But you're wrong in every other aspect. You are suggesting we trade a proven commodity for a potential reward.

There is no qb alive that is a lock for the Steelers' next franchise qb, not Brady, not Rodgers, not Mahomes, not any draft pick in any round.

You don't trade proven for a gamble. And whoever takes over for Ben has to fit his talents into our particular system, be coached properly, and be put into the best position to use his talents. It is as much timing as talent. Antonio Brown became "AB" in our system and with our qb. His success was as much him as it was timing. Put Mahomes or Jackson under center for the Steelers and see how much less productive they become.

But I digress as I'm getting off track. Trading TJ for a franchise qb is a pipe dream.

And defenses win championships. Never forget that. Brady was a big part of the Bucs getting a ring, but the Bucs D won the game by shutting down Mahomes and Co.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think I could be convinced to trade TJ for Mahomes.

But, I would probably pass on trading TJ for the next Ryan Leaf.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can a Team really have a top DL and a franchise QB and field a strong Team around them ? Is there enough money to do that ? If not what positions do you go on the cheap on ? If I was the GM I would consider a trade for a 1st. this draft and a first next year ..This would free up a lot of future cash and give more ammo to build the Team.. This years picks have more value than future picks so I would trade the 1st. I got this year for a 1st. and a 3rd. next season..This would give us 3 1st. round picks and we will need a Franchise QB a Franchise LT and possibly a Franchise RB .. I would take that Gamble as I put more faith in coverage than I do the rush..IMO if you can cover great then a average pass rush will do..

So me and you agree on Defenses being very Important , I just think you should start from the DB spots the problem this Team has is they have not been good at drafting DB'S...

11. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Strange that I agree and disagree with so much of what you said all at one time.

You can have a top DL and a franchise QB if you draft well, coach even better, and get hella lucky. I don't think it's about whether you can HAVE them. It's about can you KEEP them together long enough to make a run over the course of a few seasons.

I strongly disagree about having a franchise RB. That is NOT a need. That should NOT be a priority. A top-flight OL is more impactful to the entire offense and special teams than a franchise RB.

I am with you 100% about the DB's. Our secondary has been a liability for years. Even after Fitz arrived, our secondary has been our Achilles heel. The vast majority of the interceptions and success of the secondary has been because of our pass rush. But it's not just bad drafting, it's bad coaching and bad scheme.

Early last season, Tomlin made excuses for it by saying he hung them out to dry selling out to stop the run. I didn't hear his excuses when we started getting ran over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Who would trade watt for mahomes?

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Better question. What idiot KC GM would be willing to make that trade?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  15. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Watt will end up leaving in free agency when the time comes. He will want to go play for a real DC and a team with a shot at a title(and a team that's willing to spend). Steelers are going to be fighting for 3rd place in the north for years to come

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I wouldn’t blame him. I say to our current roster... go chase the money or title

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Would I rather have Mahomes than any QB currently on our roster? Well, yeah. But the real question is would he thrive in our system with our current roster? Highly unlikely that he would be productive like he is with KC. We wouldn't use him correctly or be able to protect him. That's my whole point about not wanting to trade TJ for a "franchise" QB. We don't have the offensive cast to support our signal-caller right now.

18. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Buy low, sell high right?

I kinda agree. Lets face it, maybe tomlin doesn't care, but us Fans only want championships. It's not happening any time soon. Even with our best players from the past 5 yrs we couldn't do it. It's time sell your treasure for picks, wait until all the cap hits go away and rebuild. The faster we get to that conclusion, the faster we can get back to a championship.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

To assume that Archie Jr. is going to be the consensus number one pick in 2027 based off of merely his name is quite short sighted. Never mind that though, said possibility includes an immense level of assumptions as well. If anything, said assumptions are infinite and endless; going either good or bad to compound said issues. As such, T.J. Watt, for me, is a Steeler for life.

That said, who is to say the Steelers will not track back in this draft; out of the round all together?! Again, prior to Minkah Fitzpatrick, the last time the Steelers were without a First Round Pick was in 1967; over a half century ago. Among those that enjoy such bold predictions, adding the possibility to trading out of Round One should be near the top of the list. If the team does not feel either Mason nor Dwayne are the answer, stockpiling picks not just for the present but for the future is the best course of actions as 2022 has a good crop of QBs coming up. Not nearly as good as this years crop but there are some serious gems in 2022; Sam Howell, Tyler Slough, Kevin Slovis and J.T. Daniels to name a few.

20. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    While I wouldn't trade Watt for an unproven commodity like a draft pick (unless the other side was offering significantly more in value), if a package contained a proven franchise QB like a Mahomes it's a different matter. Franchise QBs are the most influential position in the game, and of course hard to come by.

Your point on players potentially not fitting different systems as well as there current one is valid for many, but the QB position is one you build the offense around if you find a truly special player like a Mahomes. While the Steelers need to rebuild the offensive line and running game, if they had a Mahomes Canada would most assuredly be molding parts of his scheme around his QB's strengths, and advising Tomlin/Colbert on the types of players needed to fill the holes.

The other position that's often built around is defensive end, with star players there able to significantly disrupt opposing offenses. Watt is close to that as an edge rusher, but I'd argue not quite the same. 3-4 edge rushers typically need a solid DE/NT/opposing Edge to occupy additional blockers that would otherwise be tasked with neutralizing them. That said, Watt is very good. Teams have to account for him in their game plans, and thus why I wouldn't trade him away for a draft pick full of hopes.*

* - Unless it's the 2027 Jets first rounder. I don't know where they'll be picking that year, and I don't care. I want that pick.

21. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    All this talk about trading Watt is blasphemy.

All this talk about getting Mahomes is stupidity.

On a personal note, I enjoy watching him play tremendously and wouldn't trade that for anything we could possibly get in return.

22. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Um, resign TJ. Steelers a ton UNDER cap in 2022 n with all of their picks plus likely two 3rd comps n possibly a 4th comp PLENTY of ammo to trade up for QB if need to n have picks left over for 22 draft

Steelers "rebuild"/retool should not take long IF they don't screw it up, IMO

23. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    By your logic, TJ Watt was a gamble when they drafted him. So, I don't get the point? What my OP you quoted meant was that they could very well trade their better players for draft capital, then trade up and draft the QB they want, among other assets. Younger, better cheaper.

I agree trading TJ Watt for anything is a pipe dream. Same with the rest of their players.

I also agree defense wins championships, but it's very rare indeed that it's possible to field a defense capable of winning with an offensive game manager as your own QB a la Trent Dilfer. Not only that, by the time this team builds another great defense, TJ Watt will be likely be gone anyway.

24. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    "If they don't screw it up." That speaks volumes, doesn't it?

25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If the NFL officials continue to overlook the WWE choke holds by the OTs, the value of the pass rusher is going to be neutralized. Instead the defenses will be forced to draft faster linebackers and coverage guys to slow down passing games. Offensive linemen have no reasons not to hold. If they get called for a hold, there is a good chance DPI will be called the next play.