1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you trade Highsmith and Okorafor?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Campbell is projecting to be more of an inside linebacker in the NFL, but yes, they need one more outside linebacker.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I know I'm kind of late to the game here, but did someone actually suggest trading Highsmith so we could resign Sutton and Edmunds? I can't wrap my head around that. That's like trading Pickett so we can resign Mason Rudolph.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think that was the main reasoning. Sure, Okorafor would be cap savings to sign whoever we wanted to, but Highsmith wouldn't be a big savings due to being on his rookie contract still. People's main reasoning was to trade them for picks. Which I think is super dumb, but hey. Some people have MASSIVE value on picks and less value on good players they think might not be a Steeler forever.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Guess I misread one of his bios. He would be a nice addition though but a swing edge to me is more of a need.

5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    People are trying to laugh this guy off the board, but does it seem odd that his deal hasn’t been inked yet?

Who knows the means and methods this new regime is toying with to flip this roster into their possible new form.

In a few years all of our effective studs will be killing our cap with new deals.

I do wish they had more money to work with while having a rookie QB not killing the cap. Chess moves are in order.

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Nope, not odd that a new deal hasn't been inked. Not likely to happen until after the draft. If no deal is signed by the first game, then it's time to wonder.

7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Solid response there. I guess that I was just thinking that once we hit the off season it was 50/50 between Sutton and Highsmith who was most important get new deals done. Once Cam made his decision then was just thinking the priority would naturally shift to Highsmith and (hopefully) benificial for both sides to square this away

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    In a world without a cap this is a No Brainer, You Keep Highsmith.

Are you really going to be able to pay HighSmith 20+ million next year, when TJ Watt is making 30+ million? And it sounds like Highsmith is wanting to get paid this year, and not even wait for his 20+ million Franchise Tag next year.

To me TJ Watt is the face of the franchise and is not going anywhere until he retires from football.

9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I would love to keep both of these guys but it is really difficult to carry more than a certain amount of all pros on a team and pay them all. Honestly the amount TJ makes he should make the other edge good simply by the double teams he commands. With that being said our whole defense is predicated on putting pressure on the QB. If we resign Highsmith then we’re gonna have to have lesser players at other positions or players on rookie contracts.

I think to certain degree that is what we’re seeing play out with Edmunds. They figure he is a role player and they can get a cheaper alternative in the draft. The signing that is perplexing to me is Ogunjobi. I know we didn’t have a lot of other options but he seems a little expensive based on his performance. I must be missing something.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    OK, I have one for you

High Smith and the #17 pick for Jalen Carter?

Where would you rank Highsmith against the current edge draft players?

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Carter is an idiot with a reputation for not wanting to put in the work outside of game day. He showed up somewhat out of shape for his pro day. I'm not sure the Steelers would take him if he fell to 17. No way do you trade Highsmith and the pick to get him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree. Now, if the question were reframed with Anderson in place of Carter, then my answer is hell yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not at all odd an extension hasn’t been agreed on just the contrary

He’s under contract so today it’s not a priority

Right now is free agent season then the draft

Talks on an extension won’t even start until after the draft and possibly not until close to camp or later

Watt and Heyward both signed extensions in September

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    No way I'm trading Highsmith..I feel he still has a ton of upside, and it hasn't takin him five years to produce..

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It is going to be interesting to watch. I agree that if a deal cannot be reached this summer, then he is likely gone, I don't see franchising him on the highest tender will magically change things, and the amount of Cap space used could really limit who they can keep and get in what will be a pivotal year in KP's rookie contract. Depending on the Cap increase a non-exclusive might be in order, right of first refusal or get 2 first round picks. Hard to say if any GM would reach that far, but a year like this last one certainly is going to get a lot of attention.

16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Depends, if they are trying to win or not trying to win. Trading them means they are not trying to win.