1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wilson struggled with play calling

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 3, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't doubt that someone in Denver told them this, but I can't imagine Wilson would have had so much success in the NFL it it was true. I can absolutely see Payton using the media to tear down Wilson now that he's gone. Payton is very much that kind of jackass, and the entire Wilson fiasco makes the Broncos look bad.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I definitely have concerns about Wilson. He was terrible in 2022. Even with the slight rebound the next season, the Broncos took a big cap hit just to get rid of him. That ain't good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I agree. Look, I'm not expecting greatness at this point, but this is a guy that's been to two Super Bowls. I'm sure he can handle play calling for pete's sake.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt take it as a statement for his whole career, just in Paytons offense. It’s been documented that his time there wasn’t the best, his teammates didn’t like him, obviously Payton had his issues with him, had his own office, he was a bit of a circus. Perhaps he wasn’t putting in the work to learn the offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    kenny had 2 word calls when he looked over the D " oh sh t " ,not sorry he is gone ,not happy with Wilson or another Chi. q.b. either. We should have kept the deere ,he had guts ,toughness and nothing runs an off . like a deere .

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He also froze in collapsing pockets like a deer in headlights.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We have all sinned and fallen short but he made it fun to watch ,finally.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm tired of these wannabe news journalist crying. We now have one saying that attendees say najee will become a problem.

So much click bait on no facts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    sometimes coaches are too smart for the qb's they try to teach. gruden was like that. his knowledge and how it clicked in his mind compared to others was way beyond some players ability. i wouldn't think fields is much different. defenses confused him. the ability to process what the defense is doing and where the open or weak spot is in the defense doesn't come as easy to some as others. sometimes the KISS method works sometimes it doesn't. kenny struggled reading defenses quickly, fields was slightly better but still not great, russell i think is the best of them doing it but maybe it's not tom brady like. not many are. :cool:

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I call BS.
    As a QB, you start learning 'play calls' early on.... 32gut - based off the holes.
    It gets more sophisticated as you move into High School and advances more into college.
    Even if you weren't a QB early on 3-4 years in college will drill it into your head. Heck, I still know my college playbook and calls.
    Any QB worth his weight in crap knows you have to get into the book and learn to apply it.

QB goes to huddle calls "Yellow" - Meaning maybe an audible off the line call if the defense shift into anticipation.
    Tripps right, Sam, single27. (3WR's line right, the #2WR is the hot read, single RB, the 7 route tree.) *very rough example. I don't feel like writing a large one out.
    Not only do you have to know that play but the audibles that go with it based off the pre-snap read and there are a set of audibles (fake and real) to make changes.
    Russell Wilson has been doing this a long time - the plays are the same the language is different. Like learning French.

And there are times a play will be called in the dirt.

There are times when an OC does have a mega book of plays. Andy Reid probably has a wraparound room full of playbooks.
    I think Canada's was drawn with Crayola crayons.

I think Russell's Wilson's issue were probably 50-50. He has been known as a prima donna and has brought his own trainers to camp and tried to regulate what he does at camp.
    I'm glad Payton put a dead stop to that.
    Payton has been known as hard to get along with too.
    I am hoping Omar and company did a lot of homework and that Tomlin can keep Wilson in check... I don't like their next option.

Long story short, Wilson needs to keep it clean and real. Tomlin needs to be in charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

:applaud::this!::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets ride. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    None of this is relevant regarding Wilson now for Wilsons 2022 experience has likely humbled him in a way I don't think he will be forgetting anytime soon. In addition, while it is true that Sean Payton is one of the games greatest Offensive Minds within the past generation, he has been well known to be a pain in the ass himself to deal with. For that matter, his post game conference against the likes of both Miami and Denver says it all. 2023 was merely the beginning of the end for Russell.. so it makes sense that any sort or form of negativity from the fallout of last season will be used to make Russell Wilson much worse than he likely is.

Wilson's best years have been with the LOB (Legion of Boom) along with a devastating rushing attack. Pete Carroll ended up being proven correct for without those elements, Russell Wilson can still make plays but not nearly to the level that he was back in 2012-2015. Given how Pittsburgh still possess a great defense along with a much improved Offense that leans heavily into the rushing attack, it will be interesting to see how Wilson is able to handle this. Moreover, it will be intriguing to see if Russell Wilson can turn back the clock some for him slipping up now will result in a player who idolizes him in Justin Fields take over.

Who knows?! Maybe the same formula that worked for Russell Wilson in his early years will work for Fields. Have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You don't accomplish what RW has accomplished if you're too stupid to remember a three word play. The entire premise was ridiculous. And to top it off, her really weird defense of Kenny Picket during this little diatribe was out of left field.
    This was very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very poor journalism.
    (edited because I forgot two "very"s)

Last edited: May 7, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    2 word playcall RUN Catch

17. james weyandt

Sep 6, 2021
    another 2 word play call-----> catch--- run--->that's all Wilson needs to say:thumbs_up:

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think the odds that Week 1 Sunday night's game will be Pittsburgh at Denver just went through the roof.

This the Broncos own fanboy talking about Sean Payton's hate of Russ. I like the Most TDs by a Broncos QB in over a decade line.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    And I still love this fact that the video above points out. Russell Wilson was ranked as the 7th best QB in the league when he was benched; don't believe for a second that Russ was benched because of his play.
    upload_2024-5-9_19-12-9.png

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not downing R. Wilson....especially because I have all My dreams for the Steelers tied up in Him, and I actually like the Guy, but what this is not pointing out is how bad R. Wilson was before Sean P got there.

21. james weyandt

Sep 6, 2021
    another 2 word playcall HIKE---RUN

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He's doing all the right things so far. Early workouts with receivers, bonding with the o-line (even the warm bodies signed to futures contracts) at ota's, calling the draft picks on draft day. He's been seen around Pittsburgh regularly, visiting the hospitals. The defensive leaders (Watt, Minkah, Cam) were the ones lobbying hardest for his signing.

As for those who say he was "run out of his last two teams", he wasn't "run out" of Seattle. Yes, there was some tension, but being traded for two firsts, two seconds and two fifths, along with three players, one of whom was a first rounder, is not being "run out". It's a rebuilding team getting maximum value.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i'm aware of his standing of being moved from team to team but there are questions. we shall see how he accepts this. remember he is only on a 1 year deal here so i assume he will be on his best behavior right now. he will be looking for a contract. i hope it's not smoke and mirrors. we need him to be the lead dog here. not just this year hopefully. i like russell. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1