1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

why the Steelers drafted a small school player in Alex Highsmith:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, May 16, 2020.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If the article doesn’t say because Colbert and Tomlin are stupid it’s obviously fake news

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am much higher on Highsmith than others. Had a chance to study him just before the Combine and soon thereafter. He was just outside the Top 5 for my EDGE Rankings.

This kid has the athleticism and desire to be a long term option. He just needs one year in an NFL Weight Room for him to quickly unlock more of his latent potential. For now, have him in a situational role via pass rushing. Asking him to defend the run too soon will not benefit him in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So, the article states that the Patriots have drafted the most small school players over the past decade and the Redskins have drafted the least. So, my conclusion is some want to call Colbert and MT stupid and therefore wishes to be more like the Redskins. Is that a reasonable or logical conclusion?

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Quite a difference in draft position. The higher you draft the more blue chip big school players You will draft. Drafting later makes a team look for better deals and less to choose from at most positions.:cool:

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Bradshaw, Blount and a bum named Green is all the proof I need.

Funny how they get noticed. Small schools play other small schools and most don't watch. One reason I think the Bengals have a very bright future is the schedule LSU had last year. They played the best in College football and Burrows kicked all their butts. I'm telling ya that youngster is going to be a thorn in the Steelers side.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah.... I was hoping the Bengals would bungle that by trading out of the 1st pick. Maybe they’ll bungle it by putting a lousy team around him. By 2022 they’ll be our biggest competitor for the division. Lamar Jackson will have gone the way of RG3, and the Browns... well, do I even need to say anything about them

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Tua scares me more than Joe Burrow does currently. Yes, Tua has a significant injury history but his talent overall in the class, regardless of position, is second to no one. Having him sit behind Andy Dalton would have been the smart play by the Bengals as that would have allowed Tua to fully recover; a more dangerous player in Tua as a result.

Joe is going to be a very good NFL QB. To say he is going to be dangerous though is a bit too rich for my tastes. One year of production, regardless of how impressive it was, is still too small a sample size to gauge how high he can go.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He still threw for almost 3,000 yards his junior year with 16 tds and 5 int.. Not his sr. Year but not bad in a new system. :cool:

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Is Burrow scarier than Baker Mayfield? Yes.

Is he scarier than what Lamarr Jackson showcased last year? No.

The Bengals need to make so many movies before Burrow becomes a severe problem for us. I doubt he comes in and sets the league on fire with what the Bengals have. Will be interesting to see what AJ Green does .

• Like Like x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Don't underestimate M. Brown. He makes the personnel decisions around there & is in the running for most incompetent owner.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough.

However, while Joe's Junior year was good at LSU, that still leaves many unanswered questions; specifically his transfer to LSU from Ohio State. My biggest one remains as to why didn't Burrow beat out J.T. Barrett for the starting position back in 2017?! For that matter, why didn't he challenge Dwayne Haskins in 2018 for the starting position at Ohio State?!

Something does not seem right given what Burrow just accomplished in 2019.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

In all honesty, none of the Heisman QBs in the division scare me to begin with. Each definitley have their strengths but also have their flaws, like every QB. However, some of those flaws are very clear.

14. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I loved the pick of Claypool. Highsmith? I'm not sold on completely yet. He got fat on sacks against Old Dominion - 4.5 in one game. There were games against really bad 2nd tier teams he didn't record a sack in. Not saying he's a bust. Have to wait a couple years for anything close to that kind of evaluation. But I'm just not impressed with the level of competition he faced at all. He did have one sack against Clemson so there's that. I hope I'm wrong. Would be nice to find a really good linebacker with that third round pick. I'd be happy if he could contribute on special teams this year though.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Toss on Stallworth and LC. I understand your point and I’m old enough to agree. But those were different times. Scouting is better now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    In the running with a very small list.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No one knows how anyone will do. Ask Chicago.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

the coach. Why haven't barrett and haskins made more of an impact in the pros with all the td records? the current coach would have liked him. Urban had a vision of offense and burrow didn't fit it. He is a pocket passer that can run not a running qb that can pass. Barrett should have been benched but not by urban. More of an MT approach. Run it into the ground before you make a change. That was urban Myer. We will soon find out what Barrett is about. It won't be much in the way of passing and reading a defense. :cool:

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

J.T. Barrett kept that role due to his tremendous intangibles when Joe Burrow was still there. Dwayne did not have the same level of intangibles but was a far superior passer. Neither has worked out though in the NFL due to their limitations; Barrett simply lacking the high end gifts and Dwayne starting way too early. For that matter, of the two, I feel worse for Dwayne as what happened to Alex Smith forced the Redskins to sign someone like Case Keenum; the same Case Keenum who struggled hard in 2018. As a result, Dwayne Haskins was pressed onto the field far earlier than he should have been given how raw he was coming ut

Keep in mind that, like Ohio State, LSU had a star studded cast of Wide Receivers. Joe Burrow should have been able to put up numbers similar or superior than both Dwayne and J.T. had that been the case. Regarding your point about Urban Meyer, fair point. Urban is not exactly known for being a Coach to fully embrace his QBs skillset. That said, shouldn't Joe Burrow have gone somewhere else considering he had multiple offers from other schools?!

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For every Chicago, there is a Kansas City. I do not recall too many people on this Board claiming that Patrick Mahomes II would be a generational prodigy either. Heck, I think the only person who stated he could be a very good QB was @SteelCity_NB when he did his 2017 Top 32 Big Board way back when. :eek:

21. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    That was a terrible pick when it was made and alot of people knew it.

Now to be completely honest I laughed at KC for trading up to get Mahomes. I thought it was a ridiculous move. Credit to Dorsey and Reid on that one.

22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Nope not me! The only QB I loved in that draft class was Watson.

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Put Watson with Fat Andy & he probably has the SB ring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    When you are mr.football in Ohio and Ohio state comes calling you go. Not too much of a bigger stage. Red shirt year one as most. Wait your turn in year two. Got hurt in the spring of year three that set him back. Transferred year 4 and 5.

I'm sure he could have stayed in Athens and played for Ohio u. where his dad coached. Not quite the same though. LOL. Heck my daughter in law to be turned down Harvard to go to Ohio State. LSU saw something in an Ohio State backup. Don't blame the kid, blame the coach. Joe played well when given his shots at OSU but Urban for some unknown reason didn't take advantage and stuck with Barrett. Haskins was a good passer as well. Joe's a good qb and will be good in cincy. I don't expect hof numbers there but that's more on the team. Red was a good qb too, that was wasted there.:cool:

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lets not forget a 6th round pick from Fort Valley State who became one of the most feared OLB'ers in the NFL.

Some one needs to step up and take the role. They are not going to sign Dupree. Hopefully this small school kid can take the reins and never look back. I will bet it won't take him 5 years to prove his worth.

• Like Like x 2