1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who else is honestly losing interest?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There will always be the people who say they are done!

There will always be the people (Glenn):smiley1: who will refuse to see reality.

But I am feeling my passion for the Steelers dwindling! Granted, it's mainly driven by the garbage product that the NFL has become but I simply don't feel confident when I see the same weaknesses week after week and year after year.

When Noll had bad games or down years you knew it was coming back, when Cowher had bad games or down years you knew it was coming back......under Tomlin we had a couple of the most talented teams in the NFL but somehow I couldn't shake the feeling that nothing would come of it.

I'm curious how many of you feel like me, you will always love the Steelers but you simply don't see much hope with the current organization?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I didn't watch a single second of the Browns game to be honest. Now, a lot of that has to do with the fact that we played our fifth (?) night game and I just couldn't stay awake...but I will say missing a game is not the end of the world it used to be for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I will honestly say that I am still a huge passionate fan of the Steelers and Notre Dame football but I am losing interest in football overall. I used to watch any game on tv both pro's and college but now only my two teams. Haven't seen a Monday night or Sunday night game for years unless we are playing. Haven't watched a Super Bowl for years either. To me the game is dying a slow death but I am still hanging on to my two teams. Just don't like what the game has become and how its officiated. But that is just me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldn’t say im losing interest but the game was much better back in the day.

I’m still very passionate about the Steelers and watch every game I can. I don’t however stay as upset over a loss as I used to but that’s just me getting older.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am not losing interest per se, but I do have realistic expectations. Ben out, Tuitt out, Conner perpetually out, sub-par WR's ... Just one of those seasons but I will still watch the games when I am able.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    So no party at your house?

7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Stone I must admit, I am to a degree. It could be an age thing too. Trust me, I am just as passionate about the outcome of the games. Given that, the game has changed so much that there is where the lack of interest is starting to kick in. As a 45+ year fan of the Steelers, I have seen the way the game was played and the transformation to today's brand. I do not like what I have witnessed. I guess that can be said for many things in life as change is inevitable.

One example is with the review of every freakin' play, I just sigh (usually curse), and channel surf for the next 10 minutes. Some of the refs have probably lost interest as well. Thank Dickdell and his cronies for transforming a great product into a piece of manure. It does not have to be this way. Safety changes sure. Analyzing every play such as "catch vs. non-catch" leaves many heads spinning. It sucks.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The fear of not being good any time soon sucks but I love this team. It’s like a marriage you go with the bad and the good.

right now Steelers aren’t giving me sexy time lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Don’t know why you are gonna bring me up in this nonsense? Just for the record I totally understand what the reality with this team is. I’m also fully aware that I can’t Do a damn thing about any of it.
    Now go start another Cleveland Browns thread since you seem to be totally infatuated with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Because you are the only one who RSVP'd for the playoff party.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Oh bite me you grumpy old fart! I was just poking fun because you seem to be unaffected by reality:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    He was going to be the guest of honor! Yes, I will still have the party if we make the playoffs. I will also have a party if I win the Power Ball!

• Like Like x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    About the same odds.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    With one exception.....some "will" win Power Ball eventually!

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One issue is the NFL and it's money spending partners have over saturated fans with football and everything associated with the game in an effort to make billions. They want even more. Greed is the devil.

Another issue is the balance between victory and defeat is not "good" for a lot of fans. Losing for fans hurts more than the feeling of pleasure fans get after a win. Going through that difficult emotional roller coaster year after year and it's understandable why fans lose interest.

The crazy knee jerk rule changes year after year are hard to watch.

There are other reasons why fans lose interest.

I think a lot of fans get burned out. Plus there are more activities to occupy our time now than ever.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Watching the Steelers right now is not unlike Zsa Zsa Gabor on her 8th marriage honeymoon night: You still go through all the motions but not sure it's going to be very exciting. :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think a big part of it is the fact that the NFL is no longer a sport, it's an entertainment business. Those of us who love tradition and fundamental football are becoming dinosaurs while the NFL is growing in popularity with the snot-nosed kids of today who watch it to see the cool celebrations on every play.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    They need to ditch Thursday night football. 3.5 days rest in between games is nuts. It's not a good product.
    I understand both and all teams have to do it at least once a year. But save the 3 Thanksgiving games and ditch the rest.
    The Thursday night home games benefit the home team a great amount. Seems like they win 75-80% of the contests.

Penalties are destroying the product, it's over officiated. But that is a hefty problem. When there is too many calls we complain, then when we don't get a call fans will complain.

That's for the league any way.

For the Steelers I like where the defense is going, but will an aging guy in Haden, and Dupree and maybe Hargrave gone.
    They will again have holes to fill.

Maybe Rudolph finds himself, it's been lackluster as of late. But he still young, but you see a lot of young QB's tearing it up in the NFL now, he's not doing anything of that nature. Maybe it's him, maybe the surrounding talent, maybe a combo of both.

I think the Steelers if they remained healthy would have had 2-3 more wins that where they sit today.

The offense is bad, they went from being one of the most feared to least feared in one year's time. It has to be over hauled, but probably won't with Ben having maybe 1 or 2 years (or maybe no years) left.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Bingo! Always amazes me why the "Complaint" thread after wins is so damn popular around here. No one seems capable of savoring achievements anymore. Can you imagine this MB during the first 2 years of "The Dynasty" when Noll was shuffling through 3 QBs? The most frequent threads would have been "Fire Noll Now!"

OK. Rant over. let's run the table for shilts and giggles and see what happens. :thumbs up:

20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course I'm not losing interest, but of course it's frustrating to see what's been happening. I stuck with the team through the 80s and 90s, I'm not just going to lose interest all of a sudden now just because they're having a really bad year, injuries or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. PittAlum86

PittAlum86 Active Member

Aug 9, 2013

In my house the kitchen table was the message board and Bradshaw was the complaint.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This. I started following the Steelers in the 80s, so disappointing seasons were just a thing to be accepted.

Like @Blast Furnace said, I find it easier to get over the losses now, but I follow the team just as closely.

At the same time, I recognise what a lot of others are saying about the rule changes and over-officiating. I thought the introduction of coach challenges started a slippery slope. But this season, I’m just as interested to see how the Steelers fare than any other.

• Like Like x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bye Felecia, fair weather fan :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I'll always support the team and follow them. But I've watched the team pretty casually most of this season. If I'm doing nothing when the game is on I'll watch. But I'm usually also doing something else to be honest.

If I have other plans come up then I'm fine not watching the game. It's hard to get too excited when there's very little prospect of success.

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Something about a meet and beat ,if I remember correctly. I’m just not sure if I’m taking it out of context....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2