1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is Minkah?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have been expecting more splash plays from Minkah this year ... What gives?

Ryan Clark made more splash plays than this guy.

AND doesn’t seem he likes to tackle. He totally threw lazy shoulder and let a guy pick up a long first down last night against the Bills.

I really expected more given what we gave up.

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Launching at ballcarriers with his body turned sideways...Not wrapping his arms...He is a HORRIBLE Tackler!

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He started the season slow, but he has made some splash plays, he won that first Baltimore game with his PBU in the endzone. His pick 6 early in the Browns game was huge, his tackling form sometimes isn't good.

4. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I feel we need more from this guy. Being dependable isn't enough.

We need some splash plays as if he was on the Log Jammer at Kennywood!!!

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is best at reading routes and pass defense our scheme keeps him to far from the action to make plays...

6. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    You don’t bring a guy in for a first rounder to be far action.

Ryan Clark found plenty of action from the same position.

Minkah fears contact.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    He's still chasing and losing ground to Diggs on that long catch/run. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Among all the players I had concern for entering this season, Minkah Fitzpatrick was at the very bottom; T.J. Watt the next closet one. Even with his slow start, it did not faze me a bit but that is due to the team taking on Terrell Edmunds more and more, now less however. Since his Cleveland performance, Minkah has been... well... like he always has been since 2019; consistent, instinctive and daring.

In short?! Nothing has changed. Opposing teams have changed their thoughts going up against him though.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think he likes contact, he is having a down year.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I dont understand these threads! I really don't. Is it the whole what have you done for us lately thing? You are throwing Ryan Clark out there as a measuring stick but neglecting to say he had Troy. No mention of the often wrong disappearing man Mike Mitchell and how often he was caught looking into the backfield so that he could lay wood for a single hit while celebrating tackling Fournette on the sideline after giving up a first down run. How many splash plays did Edmunds, Sean Davis and Mike Mitchell make in the three years prior to Minkah's arrival?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Minkah missed a tackle on Diggs that gave the Bills an opportunity to score. That was the only poor play I remember from him vs the Bills.

Splash plays come and go. Some times splash plays involve a factor of timing or luck. Teams could be staying away from passing towards Minkah. Minkah could be playing better than last season and people wouldn't even know it.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think he’s playing well. Every player has bad plays

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Minkah does not like to tackle eh?! I do not think that someone who is not willing to tackle would have 208 Combined Tackles within there first three seasons as an elite Safety. For that matter, during his first three seasons as a Free Safety, in his prime still, Ed Reed only had 140 Combined Tackles; a difference of 68 total combined tackles.

By Solo Tackle comparisons?! 139 by Minkah to 115 by Ed Reed. Again, a difference in disparity here; 24 being the figure here. That said, none of these figures or values are really painting the whole story for Minakh anyway. Why bring them up some might say?! Illustrate a valuable point here; dependability and versatility.

Great safeties cannot be one trick ponies. If they were, Minkah would be looking far worse as Keith Butler would constantly place him in unwinnable situations (though he still does that anyways). Great players seperate themselves from good players because they can go above and beyond what their positions primary roles are while having a superb understanding of the basics of the position the same.

I am running out of ways to state this. So, I will just say it; Minkah NEVER LEFT. Teams LEFT HIM ALONE.

14. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    With all if our issues right now I don't think Minkah is one them at all. That tackle fail did look bad and sometimes DBs hit like that to avoid injury surprising enough especially when cold but mostly it's teams staying away from him which gives us an advantage all game. I also think the injuries at linebacker ripples into the backfield which sometimes puts DBs in unwinnable situations but theirs no metric for something like that.

15. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Where is Minkha? Are you kidding? 44 solo tackles, 4 interceptions, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 IntTD, not to mention two Pass Defensive plays were game saving defensive plays in the center of the End Zone. Statistically, he is ahead of 2019 with 14 games as a Steeler versus this year (13 games). Minkha has been absolutely fine and playing great! Teams are avoiding him if they can.