1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What about Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yes, It was a joke about ****ners salary but I disagree that Ben's salary is hampering the team because we learned this year that without Ben, ****ner was exposed, and we don't have a prayer.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I have a few friends who are members and I have heard that Ben can be a bit of an arse.

3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    What about Bob?

Great flick

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If Ben decides t "hand it up", my understanding of this would mean it free's up a ton of cap space as we will not continue paying him. Otherwise, all players would get a contract and hand it up. What am I missing here?

5. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    How do you know that for certain? You need to tell the Rooneys and Colbert as this may be a surprise to them. My lack of any professional knowledge opinion is that he will come back better than ever and will have a career year. See, I can do this too with exactly the same validity.

6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    To me, the 4 great old men in the QB department (currently playing) are Big Ben, Brady, Rodgers and Brees. 3 of them look like athletes and 1 has a 'dad bod'. I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions as to who that one is.....lol

I am not 100% confident that Big Ben will return. He is getting older, any injury that takes him out for the season is a big injury, and he is getting slower. There are a lot of defensive guys that are really fast these days, and they are getting to the qb. I could easily see him making a decision to pass the torch. If he does so now, he does it at a time when it is apparent that he was the backbone of the team. If he comes back for another year and does poorly, then you have to question how strong that backbone really is. So you can't discount the desire to go out at the top of your game, rather than as a hasbeen (who wants to get benched as a franchise QB because of poor play......think Eli Manning). Our defense is strong, but our offense has suffered. Conner is spending a lot of time injured. Our receivers are having moments of glory but nothing consistent thru the season (QB situation contributed to this), and our O line is aging.

The only thing that I am certain of (in my uneducated, armchair GM role) is the Big Ben's replacement is not currently on the roster.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It would free up his salary for cap space, but the guaranteed money would all count against the Cap immediately, Look at the Colts and Luck situation this past year as an example. If Ben retires the Steelers could move to get that money back, but like the Colts they likely would let Ben have it.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    But no matter what you think of Ben outside of when the clock is running, you have to admit the guy lives to win! He hates sloppy play, he despises undisciplined play, and he does his job! You have to give him the chance to be great again, if he doesn't have it, I'm pretty sure he will pass the torch.

And without him, the team cannot compete in this league as of today...... in spite of an elite defense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    So this is somewhat self inflicted and not mandatory, correct? Why the hell would an organization give away millions for nothing in return?

10. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    They've already said they're comfortable with Mason at no. 2...so take that for what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    A lot can change over the off season. They didn't rule out a vet back up. I hope they can sign a vet. The one thing that might limit the organization's ability to sign a vet is Ben's salary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben's salary is going to limit a lot of the organization's signing abilities.
    It could go down as one of the worst contract extensions ever.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bad timing, bad luck. About 60 mill for Ben over 2 years for possibly little to no return. That must give Rooney chest pain.

They had to suck up a significant portion of AB's salary this year. I think AB will be off the books next year.

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Correct; because of the injury clause in his extensions the Steelers would have to eat the 37mil bonus and the 30mil injury guarantee; they would not have to eat the 14 mil roster bonus due. It was a 3 year $80mil contract.
    Making him currently the 2nd highest paid QB in the league for 2020.

Also, because 2020 will be the last year of the CBA, there will be no June 1st cuts to spread the bonus until the following year; All his contract will count in 2020 if he does not come back.

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, when I saw the play I thought he simply hit his "Funny" bone; that is exactly what I do when I hit my "Funny" bone.

Anyway; I have not hear anything about the exact details of his injury. I do not see how anyone can make a guess as to what he will be like when he comes back without knowing his exact injury.

Does anyone know if it is a UCL Injury, or an Elbow Tendon Tear? Have they released any information on this? Still reading about 50/50 for people saying it a a UCL and that it is not his UCL.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen, who created a stir Monday morning after saying on "SportsCenter" that there is "some doubt" whether or not Roethlisberger will play football again, reported Monday evening that the Steelers are optimistic that Roethlisberger will recover from his surgery to reattach three tendons in his right elbow.

17. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    You had me concerned there for a second as you only reference an opinion from a sports hack who's job is to cause stirs and be the first to do it.. I trust you won't blame me for believing there is still no definitive source to make this 'for certain',, Just opinions and gossip.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont trust this team since they wont release the information on his surgery, never seen this happen before.........

19. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I get what you're saying but I am not sure they know at this point. Ben is not supposed to start throwing until OTA's / May and hard to tell what his condition is while in a cast. I certainly hope he is fine or we're screwed big time in multiple ways on and off the field. With very little faith in the coaching being able to do anything not including Ben, I am still in a mental state of hoping that all works out until something convinces me that we're doomed. I changed my avatar to show Ben before the Rams game with Franco. Some poster have said he is a huge mess and this pic leads me to believe maybe not.

20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "Baby steps, get on the bus...…."
    That's what I thought of too when I saw the title of the thread

• Like Like x 1
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    These guys mistakenly believe their "job" is to create news rather report it which is their real job. It's like saying "There is some as to who the President of the United States will be tomorrow". Simply because there is no guarantee that he, or any of us, will live until tomorrow.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    HIPPA Law?

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Or Ben saying "let me play this out for everything I can get"?

Or maybe just too early to be making prognostications?

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Definitely too early. I don’t think he has even started rehab. That’s like admiring your tomatoes before the seed has germinated.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Or predicting that your tomatoes will not taste good.