1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What about Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Why Mayfield? He is going to need P. Manning like teams (stocked with probowlers) to have a chance.
    They use Chubbs as the premier player & yeah watch out.
    But they won't... Browns legacy of Doom

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Signed thru 2020 with the Ravens, at a very decent 2 mill salary. Why would they part with him? He is not what he once was, but still the best BU out there to run the type of O they run.

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We realistically won't know anything about Ben's status until Feb, Mar, or Apr. He still has a long road a head of him. Hopefully they can sign a vet back up in March.

They may also need a new GM. The Steelers face an uncertain future in the next few years.

4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I know you were making a joke (I think anyway), but you realize Coach's salaries have nothing to do with the Player salary cap. The fact is Ben's salary is handicapping the team. It is what a lot of teams are facing, they build around rookie contracts (in our case not Ben's), then need to resign a couple of players that take a massive load of the Cap. While the old mantra 'you cannot keep them all' is true, it becomes even more apparent when the bills become due on the guarantees and the money pushed down the road from a few years back. While the Steelers will likely create some cap room by moves, Ben's numbers hit are pretty dramatic, especially if he decides to hang it up (not likely, but you never know).

5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's the nature and the cycle of sports. Even the best and greatest run franchises go through down times. We are fortunate that even when the Steelers have down times they never hit rock bottom. That could change though.

I think it's a huge concern if the team hits rock bottom because they are a small market team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I say the same thing and then that darn mirror in the bathroom ruins it.......pretty sure it's the beard and clothes though not the muffin top hanging over my belt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Can’t see them getting a vet backup QB, not a good one anyway, they’ve no cap space, holes everywhere, something has to give way. Keeping Dupree means making big compromises in other areas, and I do think they will keep him for at least 2020. That single decision will dictate what they can do elsewhere.

8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    But Jesus could fly if he wanted to, right? Or at least jump really, really high and run faster than 92-93% of the NFL?

And wouldn't his dad know the football gods? Maybe have some pull?

And I have a feeling that God might have a better video of the Immaculate Reception. He could put the whole the-ball-touched-the-ground nonsense to bed once and for all if his son was our qb.

9. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I don't look at any athlete as a role model lol.. I look at them as a body on my team that needs to help my team win.. If they can't then I want another body in here that can.. Could care less about the person they are or them as people

10. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    U have a link to this picture?.. Because I need a different image of Ben other than that fat dude off Austin Powers

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I want to see a picture of Ben this offseason during the spring in normal clothes, before I believe he is out of shape. LAst training camp he was talking about taking tips on his diet from Tom Brady.

I just remember this off season photo of Baker that had everyone talking about how out of shape he was before his rookie year.
    This photo makes Baker look like he is close to 275lbs.

upload_2020-1-15_16-58-47.png

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Google “Big Ben the grey”

lol

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Gayfield looks like a weightlifter to me, always has...Which is unusual to see a QB that stocky

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm sure you heard of sophomore jinxes in sports. Many have had them and rebounded. Mayfield had decent first season then pretty much sucked second year. Of course all three teams will need to build around their respective QB. Gonna be interesting to see what Bengals do with Burrows at the helm.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    All this is speculation, fodder in the off season. Until we hear the prognosis in February that he can start throwing all bets are off. This isn't an injury to a young buck. And his lack of taking care of himself is concerning. I will reserve judgment until I hear news.

This head coach best get this O line fixed and have a steller running game as well. Looks like they hired a QB coach. Good start.

If he can come back he can't be sling around Ben anymore. More then ever a balance offense will be needed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well in typical reactionary fashion they did hire a QB coach. Maybe someone should let them know to have a contingency plan at FB as well. AR mentioned in his press conference that the team needs to improve the running game. Maybe the HC and OC will listen this time and find a better balance instead of having your QB coach-less young QBs chucking the ball 40 times a game...but hey they do no wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I say this with a complete understanding that i was never a pro athelete... But that same injury finished my college baseball career. As soon as he shook his hand and kept sprewding his fingers i knew exactly what it was. He aint no spring chicken and the fact that he clearly hasnt worked on any cardio at all. I give him a 50/50 chance at best at coming back at anywhere near his past playing ability...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Wait.....which one are we supposed to be looking at again? :hmm:

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Somebody posted it on here recently in another thread, they said it was from November I think.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It was the cutie for me not those 3 ham sandwiches

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Found out after I posted and edited. Its a good start. They need one as well as helping Ben hopefully getting back to form. Hopefully.

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Robo Ben next year.
    Best QB in the AFCN, y'all just watch & worship.
    34 tds
    17 int.
    4500+ yds
    a 6 td game
    Goes to JuJu four straight times.

8-8

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I totaly agree, he had 3 ligaments re attached in his throwing arm elbow, he wont have the same zip on the ball he had in the past and there is a good chance he re injures it again....

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    He looked like straight hot garbage when he was in this season. I get he starts late yada yada but he’s old as hell and now coming off a surgery. We gotta move on at some point soon. QBs in general need to do more strength and conditioning, they come in looking skinny fat and wonder why they get hurt so easy. Ben needs to lock himself in a weight room. Fat fuk

25. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    #5 Oakmont? I'm an out of towner, fill me in. Is that the golf course? If so, would this be on the course related or possibly the country club.