1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wentz

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not agree on Haskins being a waste of time, not under any delusions of grandeur but beyond his talent it comes down on how much he really wants to grow as a person. Honestly he may not have the intellect to grasp the complexities of the NFL, if he does he may just be to lazy or uncaring to want to learn...that will become evident very early in the process.

Extra point on Wentz...I posted a link on him in another thread. The article was very critical of his attitude on refusing to be coached and accepting responsibilities for his mistakes while watching videos. That is the attitude that separates the greats with talent and those who just achieve good...neither of which Wentz has really done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Get used to the QB talk, whether Ben comes back or not, we are officially in the hunt for Bens replacement.

Any QB going on the market is going to be linked to the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    First week of March is when we will see. This is when everyone's roster bonus is due.

Right now all the teams are talking trade, they will be waiving the guys they can't trade or resign for cheap before the deadline; including the Steelers.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I hope you're right about the hunt for Ben's replacement being official (not sure who makes this official) but would be more official with a meaningful signing or draft pick. Key word is meaningful. As of right now, it doesn't appear we have the means unless someone finds a pot of gold lying around that we didn't know of. Its going to be a long off season especially with the Pens d!cking around.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Would not shock me in the slightest.

Kevin Colbert and then Offensive Coordinator Randy Fichtner were at North Carolina's Pro Day back in 2017. Mitchell Trubisky was in attendance and performing that day as well. Not sure how much Colbert has on him but Trubisky could be a good option for Matt Canada to work with.

Then again, it all depends on what Chicago wants.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

You know how the media is Glenn! Once the media latches onto a storyline, they will not let go until that storyline dies off for good. Move onto the next. I do agree that it is quite obnoxious. That said, the quicker the Steelers find their presumptuous heir to Big Ben, the better! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True. Everyone's Roster Bonus is true. However, I believe there is another motive behind all of this. Remember that the NFL is not going to release any info about the Salary Cap until the end of March at the earliest right?! I wonder if the NFL is going to be releasing the Salary Cap Total to teams by mid February?!

Intriguing indeed given all the moment.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Didn’t know they attended his Pro Day, interesting.

Mitch has been terrible for most of his NFL career and would be a real redemption project. He has to end up somewhere I guess. Do you expect them to bring in somebody from the veteran QB carousel this year or roll with what they have?

9. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Wow, has there ever been a season with this much volatility at the QB spot? This is insane.

Trubisky is a project though, even in that very good run he had at the end of the season, he was making a lot of mistakes, getting bailed out by dropped "sure INTs", etc. I heard/saw a good profile on him somewhere.

But, if I was GM I'd definitely float rumors I was looking at other starting QBs to put pressure on Ben to give us a good deal (yeah, a little shady but...)

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You need to keep up :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I live in Chicago so I see plenty of Bears games - this guy stinks. He can't throw a football accurately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Likely the veteran option. More so for the likes of Rudolph and possibly Haskins than Big Ben. There will be options but I have not fully analyzed them yet.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agreed.

I honestly would rather trade up for someone like Trey Lance than trade for Mitch. Granted, Mitchell throwing on the run is where is strengths lie and Canada's Offense greatly involves movement as well. That said, Lance would be a dream scenario for both Canada and Tomlin.

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Mitch should be a free agent; they declined the 5th year option last year.

And, by the book, a team is not allowed to Tag a player just so they can trade him

The Steelers would need to outbid every team in the NFL.

16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The League year starts March 17th, they have to give some resolution so teams can start scheming for FA, tagging, etc. All of the speculation on Cap total really affects so many teams this year, I am going to have to trust memory and accuracy on the article or commentator, but I read/heard that at the first assumed rate of 175 million (give or take) 17 teams would over the Cap. Now it appears that number will increase, but still it leaves so much uncertain for the FA period. Agents are saying they will not let this diminish asking prices, so those with a lot of cap room will pay premium (as is always the case), but it also may mean far more mid level guys getting squeezed out. This really could be a year where 'smart' shoppers get real quality guys that can fill needed holes.

17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think there will be a bidding war for Trubisky. He is likely facing a Winston / Mariota type situation. He should forget about the money aspect and go somewhere that will suit his skill set and give him a chance to resurrect his career. He has already made a lot of money given where he was drafted, and time is on his side now that QB’s play longer.

I can’t see him being much more than a bridge QB for somebody but you never know

18. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The owners and NFLPA agreed before the 2020 season began that $175M would be the floor for 2021, though many officials are now saying it could end in the $185M range (thank you, TV contracts).

Over the Cap is using $180M as their estimate - at that, 13 teams would be over.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    I am still holding onto my prediction of $190 at maximum. Having $185 though still helps. Even so, $190 will do a great service in working out the contracts.

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Trubisky is a future backup at best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I mean anything is possible, but Wentz is highly unlikely.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

Wentz is not happening at all. If anything, Mitchell Trubisky seems like a more viable option given Colbert's familiarity with him. Again though, I expect little to no movement from the team regarding making a run for Mitch.

Now, someone like Trey Lance?! Assuming he is within striking distance?! That is actually worth considering given the circumstances.

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I can see that, IDK how much the owners can influence the final decision (if at all), I do recall the article stated the obvious nervousness of the situation possibly having to make decisions on good quality players that might have to be cut. While the short term looked bleak, the supposed new media contract would again move the bar in the other direction. There was talk in the article of possible compensation movement to lower the impact this year (who knows where that came from) to help alleviate some of the stress. I have no idea how that would work as you have so many owners with different ideas and agendas, along with the CBA they would have to work with and around.

24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    You have been high on Lance for some time. He really has not been mentioned as much in recent talk shows, opposed to Wilson and Jones climbing rapidly. Recognizing this is all talk and speculation, but of of those 3 Lance intrigues me the most.

25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Canada's offense? What offense? Has anyone seen Canada's offense in the NFL? How is this movement of Canada's offense going to work with Ben? I agree with you about Lance and Canada. . Tomlin probably doesn't know who Lance is and may think your talking about a cracker.