1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

USFL

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Jball, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    What's the chances it makes it through it's first season?

We've just watched two alternative leagues crash and burn in their first seasons. Is this going to be any different? How will it be different?

I still think that an alternative league needs to be a development league. Start in May, after the draft and run until training camp starts.

It will be mostly, newly signed UDFA's, Future's guys, and practice squad players. You could get 8 teams out of that with 2 playoff rounds(10 weeks).

And the players should wear their teams helmet like the pro bowl. The intrigue is seeing/rooting for guys that may be on your team some day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Remember the XFL lol The WWE of football.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    One of those was doing OK, and the Pandemic hit,and forced them 2 stop. Not saying it would have caught on, but people were watching, and going 2 the games until that happened.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I watched one game and realized it was a joke and dangerous for the players.

5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually thought the most recent iteration of the XFL might actually make it past the first season, but COVID kind of killed it.

I'll check out the USFL, but as always with these other pro football leagues, I'm not going to expect much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly what I was getting at.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You can’t expect much from a brand new league. Most of why the NFL is fun to watch is the years of team building behind it. New leagues struggle with this the most, trying to appeal to football fans used to a polished product, a product that takes years or decades to achieve

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is definitely the way to go. I would watch on TV to see Steelers development players, but probably won’t otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I will definitely watch the Maulers play if they are on TV here in the Pittsburgh area. I'm actually interested to see who is on their roster.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    they won't make it longer than 2 years

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yup. No appetite for Spring Football. No appetite for minor league football when college fills the role. All the teams are playing in Florida, if I’m not mistaken. Live from Orlando, it’s the Pittsburgh Maulers vs San Antonio Gunslingers! There’s something Roller Derby-esque about that. We’re Small Time! In flashing neon lights.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will watch. I'm a sucker for football.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    a developmental league would require the owners to be willing to spend some money. Forget about it. They have the colleges providing free developmental services now. Why pay more money?

• Like Like x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I remember towards the end of the first season they couldn't even get advertisers. You were seeing Chia Pet commercials during the breaks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    It is a massive fail that the Maulers do not wear Black and Gold. Get with the program!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I see the Maulers selected QB Kyle Lauletta with their first draft pick. He has bounced around the NFL with several teams mostly being on practice squads. In his NFL career he is 0-5 passing with one pick for a John Belushi like rating of 0.0.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Considering the XFL and the NFL made an agreement a few weeks ago, I imagine it's the XFL that will ultimately be the one to succeed here. Not to say the USFL can't or won't either. The NFL will be using the XFL to develop new referees and to test rule changes. Perhaps the USFL and XFL merges at some point. There's hardly an appetite for one spring league, let alone two. Frankly, I think they need to retest Europe for a spring league. Europe has already put one together (E.L.F) without the NFL, and has set up a European combine, in hopes of getting European players drafted.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Won't work more than 2 seasons unless they come up with gimmicky things to keep the younger generation interested. People's attention spans these days are about 7 seconds long if not less anymore. He Hate Me should be the commissioner of the league and they should combine some type of Rugby, Canadian Football and smear the queer rules. Oop's, I mean beat the weak guy up just for the fun of it rules. You know like we Boomers used to do. Otherwise, people will just go about their cell phone day dreaming and not pay any attention whatsoever.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I remember said game.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Remember when Jim Kelly chose the USFL over the NFL? I actually liked the USFL’s first go around, I even had a favorite team, Chicago Blitz.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  23. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    USFL was throwing some big money around back in the way back IIRC.
    Herschel Walker?
    Steve Young?
    Kelvin Bryant?
    I could be wrong. Not looking it up at this time

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Starts tonight. I did recognize Todd Haley and Jeff Fisher when they introduced the coaches during the preshow.

Looks like the Pittsburgh team has a Tomlin tree coach in Wilson.

Going to see if Fisher can display Paxton Lynch in a better light than the Broncos or Steelers did. Lynch needs to be put in an RPO offense with a moving pocket to take advantage of his mobility.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I forgot. Turning it on now.:thumbs_up: