1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tua

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 30, 2022.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's true and I wasn't going so much for a direct comparasion of the injuries and more that the Coach should be the one to go, ok I know my staff and medical people have cleared you but I can tell you aren't fully ready to go and I'm not going to play you because a person's health takes precedent to increasing our chances of winning. In my example if Tomlin tells Ben nope I can't put you in and that's my call it at least keeps one of his players from getting injured further. Someone has to be the adult. I keep coming back to James Woods line in "Any given Sunday" who are you to deny these men, to tell them their dreams are done. It just comes to mind and I think come on some one just make the call and say heck with wins and losses I'm doing the right thing. ok soapbox moment done.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Great point. That little speech by Woods is a perfect example of the thinking that puts players at unnecessary risk.

Someone brought up the example of Tomlin not letting Ryan Clark play in Denver even though he had been medically cleared. Tomlin put the health of his player first. Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel failed to do that for Tagovailoa. He is one of many people who failed Tagovailoa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I don't hate reading your post at all. I'm not putting trust in anyone. I even said in my post that if the protocol wasn't followed, then yeah, start firing people. I just don't like the habit of society to blindly jump on an issue without understanding the facts. Not claiming you are one of those people, but everyone is so quick to judge these days without knowing any facts.

All I was basically saying was to slow down. If everyone followed the protocol, then perhaps the protocol is the problem. But if people didn't follow it, as is now being claimed, then heads should roll.

I'm not on board with the coach wearing it though. I don't know what he saw, knew it was told by medical professionals. If he didn't see Tua stumbling, for example, and was then told he didn't have a concussion, he'd have no reason to hold him out. Just an example of course. Ultimately the coach has the final say, but really, he should be able to rely on his medical professionals. That is why they are there.

4. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    they are changing the protocol to rule out anyone with "gross motor instability"

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The head coach has the ultimate say in who plays and who does not. He doesn't have to play a guy just because a medical professional said it was okay. Mike Tomlin did that to protect Ryan Clark more than once. Everyone involved failed Tua, including his coach. Even a layman like me could tell there was no way he should have continued to play against he Bills and he sure as hell shouldn't have been on the field again Thursday night. There is no way a head coach in the NFL didn't know better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012