1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    So? That has nothing to do with my comment. I was referring to the statement saying that losing Bud was going to pretty much render our pass rush ineffective. We had the top pass rush for the last 4 years, even when Bud wasn't producing. Has nothing to do with him being raw or being coached properly.

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Okay time for a prediction ..Dobbs has been taking some 1st. Team reps even though he is listed as 4th. string him and Haskins have been hitting people Deep ..I think the Team wished they had kept Dobbs the other time and are glad they signed Haskins..Both offer more than Mason so I predict that Mason will be cut..

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    :eek:
    LoLandry anyone?

4. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Interesting. No offense to Mason, but I think I'd like to see that happen. If he's cut, then that means they feel there are better arms in camp than what we had the past couple seasons, Ben excluded. I really thought Mason was going to transition to the NFL better than he has, and that's disappointing. But it would be nice to at least feel like we're getting better with our backups at the position.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t see it. I think they still believe in Mason and they just gave him an extension. I think the plan is to see if he or Haskins shows enough this season to give them enough confidence not to spend a 1st rd pick on a QB and see if one of them can do the job next year.

If Dobbs shows enough to change their mind, I would love that, I’ve always liked him.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Anyone one going to the ‘Friday Night Lights’ practice tonight?

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That is an interesting take. But I just don't see it.

We all know what Josh Dobbs is at this point. Extremely intelligent guy. Probably the most athletic of the 3. He throws a decent deep ball, but his intermediate passing is awful. He does well out of the pocket, and is clearly the best runner of the 3. He also lacks the touch and accuracy that it takes to be a legit NFL QB.

Haskins has a great arm. He can make all the throws at times. He has displayed the touch I was talking about at times as well. However he seems to lack the intelligence, work ethic, and leadership qualities it takes to be a legit NFL QB. Throw in off the field concerns and immaturity. I just don't see how he makes the roster.

Mason Rudolph is the closest thing to a complete QB the Steelers have outside of Ben. He throws a good deep ball. His accuracy in short and intermediate passing has been inconsistent, but more consistent than Haskins or Dobbs. He moves well in the pocket, buy unlike Dobbs, he scrambles to but time as opposed to just taking off. He clearly has the best leadership qualities and intangibles of the 3.

I really do not think QB2 is even up for grabs. Its Mason's job unless he absolutely blows it.

As for QB of the future, I really do not think any of these guys will ever be that.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Idk. The only guy to rally with him at go time was Pouncey & he's gone.

9. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Mason is the only QB under contract for next year. They aren't cutting him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Mason is not the future, but he's a damned sight better than Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Money on that????

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I think Haskins is the only QB on the roster who could be the QB of the future. I don't think he'll end up there, however. It's like the "can't or won't" discussion we're having. He "can." But will he? Doubtful. He might be able to show enough this season to make himself a good bargaining chip, however. Regardless, he was a smart pickup at his price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I think it's telling how different our backup QB's are. We don't have anyone who really fits our system. We don't have a "type." We have a "complete" QB who isn't great. We have an intelligent, athletic QB who can't make the throws. And we have an ultra talented QB who plays in his head.

Anyone got a blender?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    So by all reports Haskins is having a good start to camp, if this continues and he shows more than Mason, which I think is possible (Mason is a good player but has shown vulnerability when the pocket collapses and he hears footstep which can lead to poor decision making, also Mason doesn't have the consistent velocity on his throws that Ben and Haskins have) could their be trade rumors? If Haskins continues w a solid camp will Mason accept QB 3? Still to early... but the fact Haskins doesn't seem to be taking a step back but the opposite makes this interesting, credit for Haskins seemingly overcoming his recent off the field distractions and troubles, good for him,

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I totally think Ben will Be back next year...Unless We just suck, but I think Mason is way better than many of You do, and not because of the Browns game last year.
    I've went over every play he has played, and I'm telling You....No I'm suggesting 2 You that there are other people starting in this League He is Better than. Take it how You will.
    No His arm is not a rocket, and He's not fast running Guy, but when You have seen as many Rocket Arm, Super athletic Guys fizzle out in the NFL as some of Us have. Well You start 2 realize after watching...It takes a lot More then that 2 play Qb.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    OR… maybe Mason is safe, and they’re doing due diligence in determining who to keep between Dobbs and Haskins. I think my scenario is far more likely, even though I’m not sold at all on Mason being the QB of the future.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    But isn't that the sheet on Haskins? He's been the real deal until the lights come on. Unfortunately, I don't think he's going to be able to be measured until the regular season. And frankly, I hope that is a measurement we don't get to this season.

But then, there you go, how will his worth be proven or disproven without a season being determined by it. Roll the dice on the guy and pray.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Pretty much says it all. Had a couple of decent throws in camp, the arm strength was never in question. Even in a preseason game he might out ball every one, but I think the reclamation is as much in his off field (club house presence and off duty time) as his on field development. You can only go by what we have heard (and really no nothing of how much is truth), but word was he would not put the necessary time in to learn plays..would not or could not grasp the playbook. This could have been immaturity and he realizes this is perhaps his last chance...or it could be that is really his inner make up. You can hide certain flaws for a while, but at this level it it will eventually come out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I like to see that Tomlin got on Rudolph for not making a throw into the end zone with 15 seconds left.

Good to see out of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Yep, and I'm just knee-jerk reacting to it, but Tomlin is right for a couple reasons. He said, in so many words, that Mason has been around long enough to know the situation. Throwing a pass to a receiver 3 yards shy of the endzone with 15 seconds left in the game is not a recipe for success. You'd better rear back and fire something into the endzone. If it's picked, it's picked. But you've got to be aggressive in this situation. And for Mason to put his future with the team (yes, yes, I know it's one traning camp pass) in the hands of someone else, then it shows something about him.

It's not like a game was actually on the line, so now's the time to show you've got the balls and desire to win, without repercussion. Mason, put the ball in the endzone.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Rudolph’s motion and arm strength are not nearly good enough to be an NFL starter

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was suppose to, a buddy of mine backed out. I will try to get down another time before their done.

• Like Like x 1
  23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Unless Haskins is a clumsy clueless moron, he’s the #3 over Dobbs. Haskins is the high pedigree shiny object, Dobbs can be had offthe street in Oct, if Haskins screws up. But to what end? I like Dobbs, but hes been in the league 4 yrs, is 2 yrs older than Haskins and has shown far, far less.

Mason makes the team. Full stop. They had a 1st round grade on him, don’t you know!

Fun Fact: Passing Stats 2019-20.- Jayden Samuels 4/5 35 yds, Josh Dobbs 4/5 2 yds.
    Career passing yds : Dobbs 45, Samuels 35. And Samuels is a year younger! And a more established rusher! The triple threat slash is already on the roster, but the dumb coaches are too blind to see it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    a first round grade is dice, not comparing but Ryan Leaf was picked in the first round, having been in the league for a few years and showing good things, Mason is decent but I think possibilities are in play that you are overlooking

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    On the plus side at least it wasn't in the SB with the game on the line at the 1 yard line with the best short yardage back in the game where you throw a pick six cost your team the title but still retain your job and that of your coach. Right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1