1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade for Matt Ryan?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree 100%, but what are the chances that Carr could be had for a single 1st round pick?

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I am not advocating sticking with Ben, in fact I wanted him gone last offseason and was absolutely consistent in saying so

Re Julio I really don’t know what point you’re trying to make. Yes they had some offers for him but there is no way the Titans would be able to move him now, he has had a lot of injuries over the years and he is not the same player he once was. Always be wary of players that teams want to move on from, there is almost certainly a reason.

Which bring me on to Matt Ryan, he is a few years younger than Ben and is marginally better but that doesn’t mean he is worth a first round pick, especially when your team has gaping holes at other important positions. The Steelers cannot afford to be burning first round picks on stop gap players. Ryan could fall off a cliff at any time given his age.

His salary is very manageable for the acquiring team so if the Falcons want to move on they should be able to find a trade partner but expecting a first round pick in return is fantasy IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Very much doubt the Raiders will be moving on from Carr but I would absolutely take him if they do. You can win a lot of games with Carr if you put a good setup around him.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not likely... if at all.

Doubt they move on from him. Just a thought though.

5. Coolhandluke23

Coolhandluke23 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2021
    Matt Ryan no way. I would rather have Ben back!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hate to break it to you, so do Mariota and Bridgewater. I've seen lots of Bridgewater. I think Mason is better

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. Not sure why there's so much talk of them moving on from Carr. He's a really good QB. Not elite, but it's not like the Raiders can just go out and grab an elite QB any time they want. Carr is far better than anything else out there. I don't see the Raiders moving on from him even if they get a new GM and coach.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nor do I.

If anything, Carr could be signed long term. This upcoming class is not it and there are not too many other options. Unless Mike Davis wants to make a run for Aaron Rodgers.... forget about it.

9. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Minshew Mania. Now there's an idea I really like. Not convinced Philly will give him up easily though. I doubt they have full confidence in Hurts and Minshew was great the one game he played. But if he was available, I think he has plenty of potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think Carr would be more costly than Ryan, if he is available at all. Most of the talk about Carr being available started when Gruden was still in charge. He didn't seem to want to go with Carr long term, but that may change with him gone.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Mariota is terrible. Carr is a much better quarterback. Bridgewater sucks.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was a Gruden thing. He seemed to want to move on from Carr.

13. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    aint nobody gonna give up a first for matt ryan ...:facepalm:

even if he was worth it i would pass. same for rodgers. by the time they could put a competitive TEAM around them either they will be ready to retire or they will be the weak link on the team. spending draft capitol and a good portion of the cap (25+ million) on them would hinder the rebuild effort. we need a low budget cap friendly option (10 mill or less). every 10 million they spend a QB is one less serviceable free agent at another position they cant sign.

the falcons are in the same boat as the steelers. rebuild mode. if matt ryan was worth rebuilding around the falcons wouldnt want to get rid of him. it would cost the falcons a 40 million dead cap to cut him. 48 million to keep him. :lolol:
    they painted themselves into a corner with his contract.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    we need to draft a QB oh wait a whole new team and new coaches we are up the crap creek without a paddle are we gonna be the jets

15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I do not. But Ryan is not a good answer. He's 36 years old. What's the point? You trade away your future for 2 or 3 years? Just no

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    All I know is I would take he who shall not be named at 55 years old (damn! That's only how old he is??? I thought he'd be pushing 60) over any of the QBs we have on our roster when Ben's gone.

That's not an endorsement of the choker/game thrower I mentioned. That's an indictment on our backups.

18. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    We need someone with decent mobility or pocket presence. A statue is going to get killed and an older vet is at serious risk of injury. That's why I don't buy Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers coming here.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I bet they roll with Haskins next year.

Unless you can get Rodgers or Wilson, I don’t think it is worth it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    it sounds like we are a 0-17 Team. of course we lacks on OL/DL and CB. THis OL hurts incredible. But every team have their issues on parts of the game, some more some less. U just have to deal with it. U can´t have all Pro players on every position. And of course, if we would have Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady or Wilson as the starting QB we would compete, for sure. Every time. Do you think KC or GB have the best Oline in this game. Their OL Units are mediocre.
    a great QB give u always a good chance for competing. Look at Big Ben in his good years. Those backup gamemanager of which we are talking about here, certainly not.

BTW, would Tuitt and Alualu be healthy we would have a much more better DL and a different opinion about it. But maybe we also need ALL PRO´s on practice squads, just for injury insurance

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    huntley was quite impressive. i think they are a better team with huntley then they are with lamar jackson. who is going to be the OC and line coach will determine a lot. i think chris morgan could do it but i believe there are better ones out there to be had. i am curious about huntley though. josh johnson as a backup wouldn't be a bad 2nd or 3rd guy to have either. mike white would fall into that category too. as i say it depends on the OC and line coach and line players to make any of these guys work. if canada's hands are not tied with ben, this could be a quite different looking offense. nothing aagainst ben but the mobility issues limit us greatly. improve the trenches and we could see some real progress with qb's like this under sullivan as a qb coach. i think at this point in bens career, it's just limiting what we could possibly do offensively. :cool:

22. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Ryan would retire before playing behind this line in this offense.

23. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    no clue why we are talking about trading for a QB at this point. There is no point to it. So we trade for a decent QB and go barely above .500 or below for a few years with this offensive line and our offense? Where do the draft picks come from? They've been grooming Rudolph for a few years now it's time to see what he can do as a starting QB. Draft to fill all the holes we have for the next few years and then maybe you get to pick a good QB out of college. The Steelers are not going to trade for a QB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Only if the Falcons will take 4 cases of Gatorade and 3 tackling dummies for him.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You are giving them bush, Edmunds and maulet?:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1