1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade for Matt Ryan?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    People need to stop making excuses for Rudolph. He played poorly. He missed wide-open throws. The only excuse was that Johnson fumbled away an opportunity in overtime, but it never should have gotten to that point.

Oddly enough, it may not matter. Even with that victory, the Steelers would still need to win out and get some help to make the playoffs. In the division, they lose the tiebreaker with the Bengals. In the Wild Card race, they lose the tiebreaker with the Chargers. I'm not sure about the Dolphins, a team they didn't play this season. As ugly as it seemed at the time, settling for a tie rather than a win against the Lions might not end up mattering.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
  3. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I don't think that really gets to the heart of the matter.

QB's throwing a lot usually means you're behind so those winning %'s aren't surprising and I'm sure that in a lot of those cases it was shootout where the QB's played well, just didn't end up winning.

In MR's case he threw it a lot and he stunk while doing it. He has little pocket presence, no anticipation, and just gawd awful accuracy. (All three of those are probably related.) He's incapable of consistently putting the ball in an area where a receiver can make a catch and run. The receivers are constantly have to stretch out, up, down, or back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Yeah, those stats are way misleading. Usually a QB will have that many throws when you’re trailing by 30 half way through the game. This finished 16-16 no prevent defence here….

5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree, we keep putting the cart before the horse and expect everything behind the line to function with precision. I am a line makes the offense thinking man. I still like Harris but he is paying a price for lack of OL investment I believe. JMO>

6. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Ben and Ryan remind me of when I was playing for the Zips and we had Marshall at home. Leftwich got banged up and their line was carrying him down the field to run the next play. Damn if he didn't still win but that kind of mobility in the NFL is slowing becoming extinct. We need fresh idea's, fresh legs, and a different mindset/ culture to keep this ship from hitting the same iceberg every year. JMO>

7. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Thats the catch 22 of all this. If we had such a line, we wouldn't need Ryan as Ben, IMO, would be as successful along with a viable running attack. Unfortunately, we need both which is the worst-case scenario. JMO>

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Honestly, most of the QBs mentioned on this post don’t excite me any more than Rudolph and his talent ceiling is high quality backup. Bring a FA like Mariota or Taylor in to compete and focus heavily on the trenches, especially the offensive line. I definitely would not give up a 1st for Ryan…NO WAY! Should be an interesting off-season.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    But yet he brought them back and put them in a position to win if it weren’t for untimely fumbles by DJ and Muth.:shrug:

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I've heard Garrapolo's name mentioned. Please no!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    honestly, they need so many positions that BPA is the way to go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ryan is too old for a 1st round pick. Maybe a 3rd.

13. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Yeah, if you call throwing for 35 total yards in the 2nd half bringing them back lmao. Muth fumble was mute no time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Trade a first round draft pick for a 37 year old qb?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Not his age but it's more so his ability. He seems to be on the decline. Because you wouldn't trade a first rounder for Brady or Rodgers? And both are older.

16. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I would only do this if the 37 year old is named Aaron Rodgers.

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I still wouldn't

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I honestly rather go for Derek Carr over Matt Ryan. If anything, Matt Ryan is almost no better than Big Ben is at this point. At the very least, Carr is 30 and does have some years left in him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No way in hell is Ryan worth a first rd pick, that’s laughable.

I’d rather have any QB in this draft over Ryan, especially at that price.

If he was a FA and the price was right, I’d be more willing to try it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Rodgers is still in his prime, despite his age. He also sat on the bench for the first few years of his career due to Favre. Rodgers probably has another 5-7 years playing at an elite level.

21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    yes I know. Originally wrote mediocre 37 year old qb, but the original poster would go on some asinine diatribe about Ryan’s greatness

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    You can argue he's playing better than he ever has.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The game never should have gone to overtime, but Rudolph missed too many throws. Johnson certainly deserves some blame for the fumble, but Rudolph was actually part of the problem on Freiermuth's fumble. He should have fired that ball out of bounds. Instead, he put the rookie in a position of having to fight through two defenders for a minimal gain just to get out of bounds. The quarterback's job isn't just to get the ball to the receiver. He has to understand the big picture and avoid putting his receivers in bad positions. Rudolph failed to do that at the end of the overtime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    We have no oline here, he wouldn't succeed. Plus if he makes the Super Bowl that asking price gonna be ridiculous.

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The IQ of the typical fan....

• Winner Winner x 1