1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade for Matt Ryan?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    https://heavy.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/pegs-steelers-to-land-matt-ryan/amp/?fr=operanews

I live in Atlanta and hear all the buzz. It sounds like all they want for Ryan is a first round pick.

Since the draft only has one player that is first round capable (Pickett) and the rest are second round and later. I do not see us making a crazy trade up for picket.

I would like Rodgers/wilson. But it's going to cost way to much. So it only leaves someone like Kirk cousins.

With Ryan, we get a good QB that's been established in the NFL. And if you look at this season you'll say he sucks. But look at what happens when WR leave the team.
    - harry Douglas went from being #2. And was given the chance to being #1 for the Titans. And he sucked.
    - Sanu was decent before and decent after. But was great with Ryan.
    - Roddy white improved when Ryan got drafted. And then when he left, no team ever gave him a call.
    - same thing with Jenkins.
    - hooper looked great with Ryan. Then went to the browns for big money and never lived up to those numbers he had with Ryan.
    - and now we see Julio Jones blowing chunks even when he plays for the Titans.
    ... Also this season he has no line. Lost his #1 Julio to Titans. And then lost his #2 Ridley.

Only problem is that I think he depends on the OC to much when it gets into making hard decisions. In hurry up you'll see him pass the ball around to everyone. But when there's pressure and he puts his hands over his ears to hear the OC, it better be a good call.

Matt ryan #'s

[​IMG]

vs

Big Ben #'s

[​IMG]

Matt Ryan plays with a #3 WR as his top WR. and the WR that left after Ryan ended up being trash. Look at Julio Jones with the titans when he is healthy. Also Ryan stays healthy. and is 3 years younger.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am being serious when I ask this....but is Matt Ryan worth a #1 pick?

To be honest, we really need to use our first round pick for OL.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Isn't Matt Ryan only a year or two younger than Ben?

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I'd say no. Ryan had two seasons at an elite level but otherwise is a mid tier QB.

If the Steelers were more competitive it would make more sense.

Need a new GM and new HC drafting a QB and building the roster they want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No. I'd rather get Tyrod, Mariota or Bridgewater than Ryan. Carr is likely the best QB Steelers can afford, but some other team will probably get him. Rodgers and Wilson are pipe dreams.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bring in Ryan for what exactly? It won't be to win a Super Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'm with you on Tyrod. The others not so much. Especially not Mariota.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes if the only piece we need to contend is a QB.
    He's not worth a 1st for us, not even close. He's not a stud. Not much would change for us if we had Ryan instead of Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh god. Have you watched Teddy play the last 2 years? I have a lot because last year I had DJ Moore on my fantasy team and this year I had Jerry Jeudy. He's horrible. We're far better off with Mason.

I think Mason is at least as good as all those guys you listed. He just needs a good opportunity, which means good playcalling, a rushing attack to keep the defence honest and good blocking up front. If we don't get those things, I don't care who we bring in, they are going to struggle

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Rodgers would never come here with our OL. Wilson would because of Tomlin. I don’t want anybody on your junk list….

11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    A#1 for Matt Ryan? Anyone who thinks you can get, or you should spend, a #1 for Ryan at this point in his career, is high on crack.

There's no way any one is going to pay, or should pay, that price. A #1 pick should be spent on a player who has the potential to play on your team for 6+ years, not someone whose ceiling is two good years.

That doesn't even take into consideration all the needs on this team besides QB. Now it's the most important need we have, and no one harps on getting a franchise QB more than me, but we can't spend a #1 on a band aid regardless of position.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A 1st? :roflmao:

Even if they draft a QB in the 1st they will have Mason starting. Solidify the trenches via the draft and Free agency. They need a lot of other pieces as well. OLB, SS, CB, ILB, WR.

This show will be a few year rebuild.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    There was a play yesterday where Ben was getting sacked less than .2 seconds after he got the ball. Tom Brady wouldn't even have success on this Steelers team.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I was being realistic. It's not like the Steelers are going to be able to get a Super Bowl winning QB in Rodgers or Wilson. The free agent QB list for 2022 is not impressive at all.

15. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I like Matt Ryan but not enough to give up a first round pick.

We just have too many needs. We'd get maybe half a season out of him with this offensive line.

• Like Like x 1
  16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, which is why I think Mason will be just fine. We are not a playoff contender with either Mason, Teddy, Mariota, etc. None of those guys are winning a SB. So why not just go with what we have? Mason has never been given a good chance because the coaches have failed him. Look at the one opportunity he got this year. He was asked to throw it 40+ times in horrible weather and had to deal with horrible playcalling and horrible blocking up front. He had no chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. steel_d_curtain

Dec 20, 2011
    They put the ball in Rudolphs hands against Detroit. Letting him throw it 51 times and he failed miserably. He was horrible after his first drive, absolutely horrid to watch….

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree. Let Rudolph, Haskins and (Free Agent) battle it out for starting QB job in preseason. Steelers need to draft either OL or DL in rounds 1 and 2. Best player available.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Ryan needs a good offensive line to be productive. I also wouldn't even consider giving up a first-rounder for him at this point even if the Steelers did have the line he needs.

20. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    It would be interesting to see what Huntley can do - his brief time for Jackson was impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Every backup QB would have failed under those circumstances. The coaches failed him. He didn't have a chance. Who asks a backup QB to throw 50+ times in the rain with poor Oline play and no running game?

22. steel_d_curtain

Dec 20, 2011
    Haskins doesn’t want to play football guys. His work ethic in practise has been poor and this is why Redskins got sick of his lack of interest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. steel_d_curtain

Dec 20, 2011
    Harris ran for over 100 yards. The rain started in the middle of 3rd qtr. the OL had their best game. Rudolph was awful….

24. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Not the 2022 version of Matt Ryan

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Almost every QB is when asked to throw 50+ times. It makes it very easy for the defence.

Ben has 4 wins in 14 games when throwing 50+ times
    Manning is 4 for 17
    Brees is 4 for 17
    Marino is 5 for 14
    Favre 3 for 12
    Matt Ryan 3 for 12
    Rodgers is 3 for 9

Only Brady has consistently won when throwing 50+ times. Almost every other QB has a losing record. Part of that is QB's tend to throw a lot when behind, but playing one dimensional football is a recipe for disaster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1