1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 Plays That Murdered the 2018 Season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Jan 2, 2019.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    We have a lot of time until the draft, so here is something to chew on.

For me, one play that comes to mind was when Conner fumbled against the Browns. We seemed to have the game somewhat in control, then it went downhill fast and resulted in a tie instead of a win and ended up costing the division and playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Grimble fumble/touchback. That was the beginning of the end. Steelers were in a downward spiral from that point on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Wow, what a fat bag of chance this is... let me see what I pull out.

The one that does it for me? Grimble/Connor's fumble against Denver. Why do I list them in the same sentence? They are the same to me. Pointless turnovers that most likely lost us that game.

Why else does this one stand out to me? It was right about the time the wheels fell off - and most likely would have vaulted us into the playoffs.

4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    not a play per se but it is what it is. Le'veon bell killed our season.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would have to say Baker Mayfield's pick vs the Ravens. It was the final nail in the coffin for a corpse that had been rotting for weeks.

6. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Ben's turnovers in Cleveland
    Boswell OT miss in Cleveland
    Ben's int's in Denver
    Grimble fumble in Denver
    Connor fumble in Denver
    Boswell misses against LA
    no calls against LA
    Boswell misses in Oakland
    Tomlin's decision not to put Ben in earlier in Oakland
    Ridley fumble in NO
    JUJU fumble in NO
    PI's against NO

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    That was a terrible throw... ranks up there with Ben's INT at the end of the Bronco game. Sad thing is... Mayfield was playing lights out up until that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. That is a top 10. I suppose the mystery PI against Haden in the Saints game would make the list because that was a 4th down play. We get the ball and no score for them for sure.

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah. I was hoping the Browns would just kick the field goal from the 39. I had a bad feeling that Mayfield was going to have a rookie moment.

10. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    True, but the refs gave the Browns the Landry catch (and the other one, going out of bounds) prior to that pick, so not sure they should have even been in that situation. But I agree.

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Wow. I had a brain cramp. I was thinking the Landry catch didnt count for some reason.

12. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Maybe I'm having one... I know the one across the middle (which was a drop, btw) they allowed. The one heading out of bounds - I seem to recall them allowing that as well (lack of evidence to overturn, since it was called complete on the field).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Haden getting blown up by Davis, resulting in 7 points against instead of an INT

14. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Someone was listening to the fan when someone called in to just reel off there 10 plays that killed the season obviously lol

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I commonly say games revolve around 3-5 plays. I bet I could find 10 plays that would get us from 9-6-1 to at least 14-2, maybe 15-1.

16. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I could have listed more, but these were the easiest to remember from the losses.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The officials didn't give the Browns anything on the catch by Landry. That was clearly the catch. The one before it was close. Then again, the Ravens got away with pass interference on the third down right before the interception, so I don't think there was any room for Baltimore to be complaining. The defender grabbed Njoku's jersey as he tried to go up for the ball.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That one was probably the worst, simply because it was such a stupid mistake and it handed the Chargers seven points on what should have been a devastating interception thrown by Rivers.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Browns should of called a TO before the 4 th down play. The play click was running down they were scrambling to get the play off and Baltimore was able to time their blitz because of that. A TO would of settled their nerves and got everybody on the same page and also not given Balt perfect timing on the blitz.
    But hey coaching is coaching some will try and lead you to believe. In the end the Steelers got what they deserved. Life has a funny way of making that happen almost every time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    The sad thing is they had like 1:20 left at that point. They were trying to keep the Ravens on their heels, but I agree - a TO was warranted there.

22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Did anyone mention the Ravens fumble that was returned for a TD by the Browns...then was spotted at the 1? That play puts us in the playoffs no?

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree. With the TO on the board they could have even ran once on 3rd down, to attempt to get a little closer. I don't have any idea what Joseph's range is, but I was really hoping they would have just tried the field goal.

24. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Honorable mention.... the sequence at the end of the Chiefs attempted comeback. Ben hits Jesse James in stride to get into the red zone down 12 with 4:53 remaining. With no sense of urgency whatsoever, the Steelers complete 3 passes inbounds taking the play clock under 10 each time and Ben ends up scoring just as the clock hits 2:00. Having lost the 2 minute timeout, and with a d that probably hadn’t forced a 3 and out all day, the Steelers STILL kick deep.... and never touch the ball again.

Did that murder the season? Would we have won with greater urgency? Probably not, but sitting there at Heinz that day it was clear we hadn’t learned much in the last 12 or so years about effective game management.....

• Agree Agree x 1