1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlins terrible decisions could ruin Picketts development. 0-4 as starter?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 4, 2022.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Good lord, can you stop stroking yourself for one post??? The crap you get tossed back at you and the troll label is 100% earned.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe someone could create a separate forum called "Coach Mike Tomlin" and keep this redundant and ever reoccurring subject out of Steelers Talk. Could cut threads down by half, give or take. JMO>

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I disagree. Tomlins decisions on Sunday have set us on a path for potential disaster. Now McDermott can coach one of the worst games of his career like he did last year and basically let Tomlin win. And yinz can run around pretending we are legit again. But if what happens what we all expect and we lose the next 4. It's going to get ugly.

[​IMG]

4. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Aren't we going a little overboard SDOT? I was all for Pickett getting 10 days of practice and starting against the Jets but Tomlin seemed like he had a different plan of action. He tried to pinpoint the problem by changing one thing and not two. They supposedly took that time to work on Canada's offensive game planning, and we saw Trubisky throwing it down the field more. However, the results were still the same with the stagnant offense under Trubisky and you saw the change at halftime. Not ideal but at least we moved on...thank gosh.

With that said, even if Pickett won the Jets game he could very well lose these next 4 games. That one win or loss isn't going to make or break Pickett. At this point we should all be excited to see Pickett continue to grow throughout the season...even if it comes at the hands of a loss. I saw more moxy in Pickett in a half then I had in Trubisky in 3.5 games.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You’re wasting your energy. He cried for days about drafting Pickett. That’s what he does.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Its fine to disagree. I just don't think it is going to make a single difference in the season or Pickett's development. I don't think we are "legit". We have certain deficiencies and have been missing our best player for our 3 game losing streak. The thing that will turn us into "legit" again is if Kenny ends up being the real deal (which is possible, but not guaranteed) and if we make good decisions with our (likely pretty high) first and second round picks. Basically manage the team well and have our most recent first round pick end up being good. If we can do that, we should be playoff contenders again quickly. If Kenny sucks and we blow our next picks, then we could be bad for a bit longer. The line between good and bad is thin and we've been on the good side of that for 2 decades.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I stated before I wasn't sold on the Pickett pick because I thought he was just like Trubisky and that I actually thought Trubisky was going to do well. I was wrong and I'm glad we got him because it gives us a young QB to build around considering how Trubisky has looked. You can't fault Tomlin for doing what he thought was best for the team. It's uncharted waters for him without Ben here and you don't want to rush Picketts development and throw him to the wolves. This franchise has been successful because they aren't a spur of the moment type of franchise like the Lions for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just get some tissue and try to watch the games.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Keep that resume up to date! The call from Art is coming any day now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You should just get rid of your phone!

11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Being provocative does not equate to being right. Any idiot can sit here and wax negative about every Tomlin decision, comment or action. He is not objective in the least. That's why I don't take him seriously. He is, in fact a troll and likely isn't even a Steeler fan. Hell, he might not even be a sports fan. Just some shmo that gets his jollies typing a bunch of crap on a message board.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yet it continues on and on. One Tomlin thread would’ve covered all his complaints. But he’s got to make a new thread for every complaint he has. It’s pretty desperate and sad. He’s probably scouring the internet for the next Tomlin topic so he can continue to stir the pot.
    He’s either a huge Troll or has some kind of personality defect. No way any normal person acts this way on a consistent basis.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    He/she is likely a middle child and attention starved.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    HE WAS RIGHT!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What a concept! A few posters… or a hundred of them could sure liven things up around here doing this!

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    KP will control his own destiny.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s his density.

McFly….

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I had that classic Farrah Fawcett poster in my room as a kid. Schwing

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't know what Pickett is or will be. I wonder what fans will think of him after, say, the next four games. Although we may not win, what will define KP's performance as a potential legitimate leader of this team and get our hopes up, or, that maybe we should taper our expectations. What will KP need to do to convince all his backers that, yeah, we're on the right track? For me, win or lose, it's making the expected plays that he should and also taking charge of the offensive, the huddle, and looking like the GUY in command. I believe the offense performs better when they themselves believe their QB is the guy and will do what they can to protect him and move the ball down the field. KP can be the glue to makes all the pieces come and stick together which looks to some as a spark, momentum, team moxy, or whatever. The wins will come at some point if this is the case. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes and no. If DJ catches some balls the last 2 games then Mitch is still the starter. If we didn't waste free draft capital on Rudolph, who knows what Dobbs develops into. If Ben wasn't such a dick who knows what Rudolph develops into. If the Haskins tragedy didn't happen.. where is Rudolph? Do we draft Pickett? Rudolph could've gone to the Cowboys and been 3-0 right now. Factors outside your actual play on the field can control your destiny.

Tomlins terrible decisions have set him on a path for failure. If he starts and wins the Jets game we ride that momentum. Narrative would be different this week. Just look at how it effected Pickens. Complaining about being open and not getting the ball with Trubisky vs. Hyping the crowd up with Pickett. Maybe we steal a game or two going into the bye and Pickett goes 2-3 or 3-2 as starter. Different narrative. We have hope. Saints QB is questionable. Colts suck. We can win some games.

Pickett comes in too late. We still lose to Jets. Now Pickett should go 0-4 as starter. That bye week is going to suck. Pickett is a loser, small hands, etc. Teams going to give up. If we hit the bye week with him being 0-4. Realistically I see him going maybe 2-11 or 3-10 as starter. Tomlin might even go back to Mitch. That offseason is going to be a disaster.

I laid it out in plain English for Tomlin 10 whole days before the game... SEASON DEFINING - START PICKETT

• Like Like x 1
  22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    And he didn't listen to you???? The nerve!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is so much wrong with this, starting with the notion that this entire season hinges on whether or not Pickett started last week. Maybe the Steelers win that game, or maybe the drops and miscues get in the way of Pickett building any momentum just as they stifled Trubisky in the first half last week.

Dobbs has had opportunities with other teams. He couldn't get off the bench in Jacksonville the year before they drafted Lawrence, when they did not have a competent starter at quarterback. He could only find third-string work this past offseason, moving up to second only due to Watson's suspension. Y'all really need to stop with the delusions about Dobbs.

If the Cowboys had been willing to offer real value for Rudolph, he would be there. They weren't.

The opportunity to steal any of the next four games is no different now than it would have been if Pickett played the entire last game. Momentum isn't the issue. A shaky offense and a defense depleted by injuries are the problems.

If Pickett plays well and the Steelers lose the next four, which is absolutely possible, only morons are going to turn on him. Those same morons would have turned on him if he had led the Steelers to victory over the Jets, only to see them lose the next four. They would dismiss the lone victory as being meaningless because it came against the Jets.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    1) The spark Pickett brought to the team was obvious. IE just look at Pickens. We clearly needed that all game to beat the Jets not just one half.

2) Dobbs never had a real opportunity and you know it. He got 1 preseason with us where he showed flashes, Panthers game. He was never going to take Bens spot. Then Rudolph came along. Goes to the Jags who was all in on Minshew. He was never going to take his spot. Then to the Browns who just spent 230 million on a QB. Most fans think Dobbs competed head to head with Brissett but Brissett hasn't done anything to get benched yet. Look how he played against the Steelers. Dobbs has never had a real chance.

3) The point is if Haskins was here. Then Rudolph probably gets traded or cut where he would've had a chance somewhere else. Instead he's buried on our roster as trade bait. Prime example of how decisions and not your actual play can dictate your destiny.

4) Momentum and locker room morale is a real thing. We start stacking losses and it will get ugly. Tomlin's decisions have set us on that path.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    1. Spark doesn't make Johnson stop dropping passes or keep him from being sloppy with his footwork on what should have been a touchdown. The offensive problems weren't all Trubisky and you should know it.

2. I know no such thing because that simply isn't true. The Steelers even handed Dobbs the second-string job one year when he hadn't really earned it. All he did was throw one great pass against the Ravens and suck in his only real extended playing time against the Raiders. He had opportunities in Pittsburgh and Jacksonville and got nowhere. Every team in the league had a shot at him this offeseason and the best he could do was the third-string job in Cleveland. Dobbs is fool's gold. The whole league already figured that out. Someday, you will catch up.

3. Who cares? Rudolph being cut wouldn't have helped the Steelers, and every indication is that they would have traded him if they could get decent value for him.

4. You are assuming the Steelers beat the Jets, a dubious claim given how poorly the defense played and the mistakes made by offensive players other than the quarterback. There is still a feeling of a fresh start with Pickett despite the loss. That doesn't mean much with the upcoming schedule and the sad state of the defense.