1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin time management before the half…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Watching replay on NFLN, so frustrating how much time was wasted at the end of the half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    What was wrong with taking a defensive timeout?? Maybe the reason no one is talking about it is because theres nothing to talk about. You act like thats unusual.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  3. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Because the personnel should be nickel or dime in prevent. How can you be caught off guard on 3rd and 14?

Explain why you think timeouts should be used on 3rd and 14 vs. a QB having a bad year missing his top 2 receivers in the second half down 10? I don't see how that isn't a massive error.

4. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Jesus level football IQ, if I’m not mistaken.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I hate when they burn time outs unnecessary. But if they felt like they had the wrong personnel on the field on an important 3rd down I’m ok with it. Admittedly I don’t recall the exact play in question.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How many good or bad "time management" decisions won or loss games?

What about the many "correct" time management decisions that happed under Tomlin?

At the end of the day there generally isn't a book on right or wrong time management decisions.

Sometimes coaches make decisions based on intuition, experience, game flow, "the book", or something else?

I just wonder how many people can quantify this time management issue into a win vs a loss based on the many variables that coaches consider in seconds?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    :hmmm:that guy up there is the president of the Mike Tomlin Apologist Society (MTAS)

8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Was on the first drive after the half.

Steelers had 7 DBs on the field at the time behind a 4 man front with Watt and Highsmith on the edge.

9. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Is there some unwritten rule that says all timeouts are designated for the offense?? It could have been wrong personnel or confusion on defensive assignments. If you have confusion on defensive assignments then you end up with another home run that costs them the game like against the Chargers. The ante is upped a little depending on where the 3rd and 14 was taking place. Was it on the Steeler side of the 50 or the Titans? If the Titans were in Steeler territory already you want to make sure it's not a quality possession where they might consider going for it on fourth and keep them out of fg striking distance. The Steelers defense was struggling a lot on 3rd down in that game from what i remember. Apparently calling the timeout did good. The Titans didn't score on the possession did they??

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe they felt like they needed to slow things down and be sure everyone was on the same page?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes. I just think it's better coaching if the players aren't lost.

All game the longest completion to a receiver was 13. Westbrook-Ikhine finished with 4 catches for 32 yards.

Come on, man, the Titans passing game was terrible with Jones and Brown out.

It's just not a place you want to use a timeout down 10.

12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    The Titans completed one pass all game to a RB longer than 14 yards. There was no defensive timeout before any of the other plays. Maybe the defensive timeout before the 3rd and 14 stopped the Titans from having a reception over 14 yards all game? If that is the case it was a great timeout and I think calling one timeout to prevent all deep passing plays the whole game is a great strategy.