1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin resume the last 10 years...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Well move along then. I couldn’t care less about your crybaby emotions. If you’re not going to address the point of the thread and/or my position then don’t bother quoting me.
    You're not really addressing my argument though. I’m not challenging people who are being reasonable in their criticisms of Tomlin. My challenge is to those who are haters and deny that he’s a good coach. That’s the type of person that I quoted and responded to. If you’re not the type of “fan” that I was describing then there was no point in you quoting me.

Seems as if you just took issue with me questioning people’s intelligence which is rich since the Tomlin haters have no issue questioning his football intelligence/competence. Where are your posts questioning those who deny that Tomlin is a good coach and say that he is incompetent?

2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I resist calling anyone's intelligence into question. I also tend to defend those that are criticized thusly. I don't don't do it and don't like it when others do it no matter their stance on something. I find conversing better than insulting. but you have the right to do what you want to do

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's hilarious ... how we view things in our black and gold vision. Once Cowher players, started retiring/leaving ... there went the dynasty. He great teams that fell short all of those so called winning seasons. You don't have to be a football genius to see to that ... Tomlin is not a good head coach. Great motivational speaker but not a coach. I don't hate Mike ... he's a homeboy from Va. If you look at my pic ... that's me and his parents. But, let's face it. If he was a coach for any other team ... wouldn't we be calling him the second coming of Marty schottenheimer?

4. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Everyone has addressed their thoughts. YOu just call them names and act like a jerk cause it doesn't match your opinion. That sir makes you a Bully! Why would anyone want to discuss or debate something with someone that just insults them and calls them names and questions their intelligence just cause they dont have your opinion? Agin just a Bully!!

5. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    It's not black and gold vision. The reality is this for Steelers fans that don't seem to get it and believe Tomlin wasted all that talent over the years....the whole loaf was in New England and everything else (the rest of the AFC specifically) was the crumbs. The Steelers were never going to be a great team as long as Brady was in the picture. The same goes for the rest of the NFL. It's not a coincidence that only one coach currently exists in the NFL with more than one SB win.

The NFC is now about to experience the same as the AFC so long as he's over there.

The same for Jordan and Lebron in the NBA and Tiger Woods while he was in his prime. I don't care how great a team you thought you had while these players existed they were never going to dominate or be what you thought they were going to be as long as those players were in the league. You had to take advantage of personal tragedy or transition (i.e. Brady injury, James Jordans death,) in the limited time you had or else you missed your window.

The Steelers never had this huge window that so many Steeler fans are so delusional to think...They got a crumb in 2006 and missed their chance at a second crumb in 2010-2011 plain and simple. Mahomes is likely about to be the next one up. We'll see if his domination starts sooner or later in 2 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  6. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    So you don’t see all of the insults being thrown at Tomlin questioning his competence and the competence of fans not on the Tomlin-hate train?
    I haven’t called any names until now. You’re a liar and all you’re doing is projecting. You’re trying to bully me with your passive aggressive whining and fake self righteousness.

You think it’s cool to question Tomlin’ competence but not the competence of some posters?

7. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    And the narcissistic tendencies continue.

8. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You're talking about a player in his prime as opposed to a player at the end of his career. Not the same, but if you feel so strongly about BB's role on the team not living up to its potential then why put so much blame on Tomlin? Why always make him the scapegoat? As I recall it wasn't Tomlin that was responsible for four INTs in the last game played?

What do you think would have happened to Tomlin by now if he had forced his hand and sat Roethlisberger whether it was 2005 or 2020? I think people need to realize there's a disproportionate amount blame that has been put on Tomlin throughout the years. If you want Tomlin to have New England results then you have to have Brady as your QB. Unfortunately the Steelers had a QB that was a couple of levels below Brady.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  9. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    I suspect that’s all you can do. This will be the last post I’ll ever see from you. Good luck

10. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Thanks Dude! Live long and prosper!

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if you go one and done you don't get the chance to see if you can beat Brady or mahomes. So your thinking is way wrong on many levels in this post. By the way the giants and eagles seemed to do alright as crumbs. Even with a backup qb the eagles found a way to go become first crumb. We can't get past the batter phase. :cool:

13. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You would swear up and down you said something profane when all you did was prove my point. Those teams that you mentioned have about as many championships as the Steelers do in that time. I mean do you even think before you post or you just pulling stuff out your arse?.

14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It’s up to the Rooney’s to set Tomlin's expectations based on the roster. No one else matters.

15. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You realize how ridiculously dumb and moronic your argument is? Why would you sit there and not compare the two for the length of their head coaching careers? How many SBs was Arians in as a head coach prior to this year? None. What was his record in playoff games prior to this year?? 1-3. Who built the team that he's currently in the SB with??...most of that team was built thru the draft before he got there. Most of the rest of the credit goes to Brady who phoned every future hall of famer and former first rd pick he could find that was available. Is Tampa in the SB because of Arians or because of Brady???....anyone with half of brain knows its Brady considering his track record as opposed to Arians and by acting as as player/GM. Why wasn't Arians able to to get into the SB prior to hooking up with Brady if he's such a good coach? I can name at least 5 coaches that did it within there first two seasons of coaching including Tomlin without even thinking about it.

There's nothing to suggest Tomlin couldn't have done the same thing Arians has with a different team. I mean if you're going to give him credit for taking a team to the SB that was already built then Tomlin already did that. Tomlins record is 8-7 in the playoffs. Bruce Arians is 4-3...so he doesn't have a better track record then Tomlin. He's had two losing seasons in a 8 year career. Tomlin hasn't had any in 13. Stop tryng to make a mole hill out of a ant hill. Come back after he wins a SB and then maybe we might be able to have a different conversation.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    dont twist into being about those teams. we are talking about tomlins team. he doesnt get close enough to have a shot at the top dogs. thats my point. you can compare him to belichek and tell us how he is second to him in wins but the fact is that long of a tenured coach on any other team would be fired by now for under achieving. just racking up wins gains you nothing when your teams continually fall short. i mentioned those teams because they were able to beat the top dogs, but to beat the top dogs you have to get that far, we dont. not even close most of the time. not ever since cowhers players (besides ben) have gone. the rooneys spotted him a franchise qb to start with too. dont you worry about what comes out of my arse. its smarter then you are.:cool:

17. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    How am I twisting it into it being about those teams when you're the one that brought them up? It's only now that you realize you looked stupid doing it that now you're trying to save face. Tomlin has had the same amount of success as they have considering hes been to two Super Bowls. Whether or not Tomlin has underachieved is subjective. As far as I'm concerned the only season where it's obvious since the last SB was the year they lost to the Jaguars.

Theres several coaches besides Tomlin that have been coaching for 10 years or more (Harbaugh, Carroll, Payton) and have about as many SBs as Tomlin. They've all racked up wins with star qbs, fell short, and they're still coaching. You think their fan base havent hee'd and hawed much like you have over the years about so called underachieving teams? Belichek would be in the same boat if it wasnt for Brady. So your statement that coaches dont last long who supposedly "underachieve" is false. Everytime you bring up one of your trolling complaints its nullified by facts. Maybe you should take a break unless you're sold on looking pompous and uninformed.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, I'd really like it if the fans mattered when developing expectations and not just a roster full of millionaires. This is still an entertainment business, no? What happens when a program sucks and your customers have no excitement of what is being put on the field or are continuously disappointed in what goes on? On tv, it gets cancelled. In sports, you lose revenue and credibility, plus other things. I am not sure this is being considered.

19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You don't. I don't. The fans do not matter, the fans money matters. If you stop buying tickets, watching it on TV, and buying merchandise then the owner's expectations may change. Fan opinion is meaningless unless backed up by a change in fan spending and viewing.

20. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Holy crap you win. Moron post of the year goes to.... SteelReal. My argument was moronic? lol Did you bother reading what you wrote? You think length of coaching career is the most important fact? How many SB's have they appeared in over the last decade? 10 years enough data for you? Tomlin has zero. Arians is in the SB and turned around 2 other teams w/ lesser talent.

How many SB's has Arians won as a HC prior to this year? Ok how many SB's has Tomlin won after 2008? See how that game works? If you want to cherry pick your facts it's pretty easy. The answer is zero. The fact remains Arians has more post season success than Tomlin over the last decade.

Who built that steelers team in 2008? If how their rosters were drafted previous to their success is important...lets have that conversation you dumbass. You do realize Tomlin took over a SB winning team?

Arians took over a 5-11 team that had not made the playoffs since 2007. In fact they were 5-11 the previous 2 seasons before Arians went 7-9 and then a SB with Brady. Arians installed his own coaching staff, built a starting roster, and installed new schemes and turned the Bucs into a SB team. To suggest Tomlin did anything remotely close to that is laughable. Tomlin has had more than enough chances to build a roster capable of winning in the post season.

You clearly don't understand that football is in fact a team sport. If it was as simple as having Brady on your roster and you'll win SB's... then explain the years Brady didn't get a ring? If brady didnt have talent around him he would not be winning post season games. Tomlin had a HOF QB given to him as well. He's done zero with it in decade. Arians won in Indy, won in AZ, and won in Tampa. All taking over franchises in much worse shape then what Tomlin took over. The conversation isn't even close. Pull your head out of your ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    At 1 point I thought Tomlin deserved a shot without Ben , but if he intends to bring Ben back and waste another season then he should be let go after next season...The only way he should be given another season after next year is if his Boss forced him to keep Ben...Heck we probably be picking top 5 or 10 so maybe pick the QB and hire his Coach as the HC ..Franchise QB and Franchise Coach if they cant win then when the QB'S contract is up move on and try again..

22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    This. And if Santonio's toe didn't tap and James only returned the INT 99 yards -- two generational plays in the same game -- Tomlin would be ringless.

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yeah, but it happened. What ifs suck (i.e. if JJs catch at the goal line was a year later, it would have been a TD and we win against NE and possibly go to the SB). To me, Tomlin is as far from being a SB winning coach as there can be, but he is.

24. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Just my opinion here, but I don't think it's about guarantees or what if's. I think it's much simpler than that. Steeler fans want more. We want better. Winning regular season games shouldn't be, CAN'T BE, the goal. It isn't about getting rid of Tomlin. It is about getting rid of late season collapses and squandered opportunities. Is there a better coach available? I don't care. I just want to feel better about the prospect of being relevant beyond December. If that's with Tomlin, terrific. But if he's not the guy to do it, let's give someone else a shot. And his body of work tells me, in my humble, ignorant opinion, that he's just not the guy. Let's start working on the next iteration of the Pittsburgh Steelers sooner than later. JMO.

25. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Outside of Belichick and Reid, who has done better in the last 10 years. Some will say Hairball, but remember Hairball had 2 seasons of 8-8 and 1 season of 5-11 during that period. How about Sean Payton and his three consecutive 7-9 seasons? Pete Carroll? He's been stuck on the hamster wheel since the bonehead pass play to end SB 49. If you are going to fault Tomlin then fault him for not sucking enough. We need a season or two of 5-11 to reload on talents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.