1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin resume the last 10 years...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I never said Tomlin was a no brainer....get out your feelings with your emotional posts before you say something out of pocket. I'm not even sure I should be responding back to somebody who says BB is not a first ballot HOF. You've lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned as someone who is reasonable and insightful with his comments. At the most I'm looking at two or three tries for BB, but that's pushing it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  2. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020
    And none of the Ravens quarterbacks in that time were hall of fame caliber.

How any self-respecting Steelers fan worth their salt defends Tomlin at this point is pure insanity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    Don’t forget Cowher’s coaches, namely Dick Lebeau.

Defend him though, good stuff.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I mean....

A HOF QB often makes the difference between actually competing for titles to merely competing for playoff spots. To expect Mike Tomlin to be "Joe Gibbs 2.0" simply is unfair as the game was much different over 40 years ago. For that matter, winning in the AFC North is a far greater challenge than any other division.

That said, Tomlin's poor clock management and recent December collapses are just but a fraction of many reasons why this season is likely Tomlin's last. Should he fail to get Pittsburgh to the promised land, he is as good as gone.

5. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    Kudos to the original poster and their in-depth documentation of Tomlin’s inept career as Steelers head coach.

6. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    “This season” this guy is talking about...

Guy should’ve been fired 6 years ago. I’ll refer to my previous post:

“How any self-respecting Steelers fan worth their salt defends Tomlin at this point is pure insanity.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    C'mon he walked into a Superbowl team. He's had the same franchise qb since and has never been back with a team built by him. Like it or not he was given the keys to a Cadillac and didn't keep it up. In fact he has failed miserably even when he had some of the best talent in the league. Winning records mean nothing if your teams can't finish. 8-8 ain't winning. 11-0 and finishing the way they did is just as bad. He has underperformed in many seasons when it counted. His amount of wins means as much as leading in yards rushing in a loss. Who cares. Too many failures in big moments.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Actually what Tomlin walked in on was a team that was talented enough to win a SB but was underperforming and didn't even make the playoffs the previous season. Regardless of what you think he walked into he was the one that put them over the top much like what Phil did in Chicago and Gruden did in Tampa. You act like there haven't been good coaches who have underperformed with great talent? I might have to remind you that there is only one coach active currently who has more than 1 SB win so clearly this applies to a lot of coaches.

Since the last SB appearance there's really only been one season where I feel like he came up short in terms of really having a chance to make noise in the playoffs based upon the talent and health of the team and that of course was the team that lost to the Jaguars. The other teams were outmanned because of health reasons as far as I'm concerned regardless of how they did during the regular season. Health has been a detriment for this team come playoff time and I dare someone to prove different. Not making excuses. Just stating facts. The reason why the Chiefs have been so successful the last three seasons is primarily the health of their core players on both sides of the ball. The same could be said about the New England championship squads.

9. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers didn't make the playoffs in 2006 because Big Ben ate a windshield and Cowher was half way out the door. Lotta that because his wife was sick.

10. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Roethlisberger played 15 of the 16 games that season. Check your facts. I would say the accident wasnt that huge a factor if he was able to start that many games. Cowher was still on the sideline most the games was he not? You wanna start making excuses for personal tragedy then I have to bring up Ron Riviera and Alex Smith. Like I said...they didn't make the playoffs because they simply weren't playing well enough.

11. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    You check your facts, broseph.

12. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I did. Clearly you didn't. At the end of the day you're bringing up ish that had far less to do with them making the playoffs then what you're willing to admit.

13. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    So many simple low brow “fans” here.

the HOF is a career achievement declaration and a lot of it is based on circumstance. Would Ben be a HOF QB had he been drafted to a franchise that required him to carry the load from the start of his career? I say no. His last decade plus with the Steelers has shown that he’s not the type of qb who you can build your team around and be a legit title contender. Without a dominant defense Ben hasn’t shown he can lead the team to title contention.

It’s true that Ben will be in the hall but it’s also true that in the playoffs he’s only be slightly above mediocre. It’s also true that he’s been outplayed in the playoffs by guys like Tebow and Flacco, qbs who won’t be in the hall. He couldn’t outplay old man limp armed Peyton. Threw 3 picks in a game against David Garrard. Obviously couldn’t match Brady. Was just outplayed by Mayfield. The Steelers have only really lost one playoff game where Ben has clearly outplayed the opposing qb.

It’s funny how Ben is the main thing used against Tomlin when he bears most of the responsibility for the shortcomings since the last SB. Name the coach that would’ve won a SB with Ben and the Steelers in the last 10-12 years under the same circumstances in regards to injuries and team direction?

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Slightly above mediocre in the playoffs. Yet Ben is 6th in all time playoff wins by QB with 2 Super Bowls.

I guess Brett Favre who is 7th was just a sliver above mediocre.

15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Cowher wasn't all that much better than Tomlin one super bowl win. Did Cowher have a franchise QB? No not really. Why didn't he work on that insrtead of allowing it to continue. If he had so much fire then he should have been willing to fight for a QB. I don't think Cowher was any better than Tomlin. Just my opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    nice to know your opinions are not "low brow" most others are. Must be windy sitting up on that perch. We haven't had a truly great coach since Noll. The players play on Sunday like they practiced all week. Tomlin's record in the playoffs is his. He earned it. But then I'm just another "low brow" fan that probably doesn't know anywhere near what you know. I find the fans on this board passionate about the steelers whether I agree with them or not. I've found fans here that know more about football than I'll ever know. I think Tomlin is a good coach that for whatever reason can't get his team ready for the playoffs. Ben won two superbowls. That's two more than a host of QBs that played for Cowher. If you hold the fans here in such low regard why not find a board that measure up to your lofty IQ?

17. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    I don’t coddle feelings. I call things like they are. The posts here speak for themselves, yours included. You neglected to even address the gist of my post and basically just passive aggressively whined about the “low brow” jab.

In case you haven’t noticed the majority of posters here deny that Tomlin is a good coach and it’s mostly based on illogical reasons. Yea Tomlin’s record is his and if he were honestly judged based on his record then he wouldn’t get half of the hate that he gets from people supposedly rooting for his team. Instead we have a bunch of Tomlin haters who make excuses to discredit his record and accomplishments.
    Team wins are team accomplishments. Ben was basically a game manager for the ‘05 SB.

This is what I mean by “low brow”.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It's time for the Steelers to move on and get new personnel on the coaching staff... HC included. Now is a good time for a rebuild. With Tomlin, Steelers will be spinning their wheels for the next 3 seasons at least. 8-8 seasons... 9-7 at best. With the salary cap situation and many starters moving on to other teams or retirement, Steelers will not realistically compete for a championship any time soon. After watching the best 4 teams yesterday.... Steelers are nowhere near any of those squads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Like I said. tomlin is a good coach. he's far from a great one. His decisions in games are very suspect. Time management is horrible. 3 playoff wins in 10 years is enough to keep him from being great. The standard isn't winning records. The standards is playoff wins and superbowl wins. HE has the responsibility to get his players ready for a game. Whether it's Ben or anyone else on the team. One and done is becoming old. He's ineffective when it comes to winning when it matters. What criticisms do you lay at Tomlins feet? Or is he just above reproach. "I say things like they are" means you and you alone have the ability to be correct. It's used by a variety of people not seeking conversation but instead seek to be right at any cost. I will await your criticisms of Coach Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Pouncey played 14 games this year, how did that go? How many bad shotgun hikes did he have? The biggest one cost the Steelers a playoff game. Just because you play doesnt mean you are effective. Big Ben was terrible in 2006 because he was to stupid to listen to common sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    You can’t even be honest with yourself. If you really thought that he was a “good coach” then you wouldn’t be joining the crowd here hating on him, running him down with the same irrational talking points as they’re using. You’re making the exact same arguments as the people who are saying that he’s incompetent and should be fired. You clearly don’t think that he’s a good coach.

I never said or implied that he’s above reproach. My point here is that y’all are hating on him irrationally. Of course he deserves criticism but the sentiment on this site is ridiculous. You quoted my response to someone saying that anyone not on the “Tomlin sucks and should be fired” train isn’t a self respecting Steelers fan.

These threads/posts aren’t made in good faith and that’s my issue. Tomlin can’t even get a fair assessment from his own teams fan base. These arguments against Tomlin just don’t make sense and are contradictory. On one hand Tomlin doesn’t get credit for the SB because those were “Cowher’s players”, but on the other hand people like you will fault him for Ben’s shortcomings.

It’s just empty hate. Your post is empty. Have been watching the last 10 years or did you just google the record? Explain how those 4 first half turnovers vs the Browns was about Tomlin not getting the team ready.

22. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Dude im not even gonna "explain or justify" my thoughts on any of this to you. I read these posts and come to the conclusion your just a bully and a jerk. All i see is someone calling people names or insinuating that they are wrong or clueless or fake or a whole slew of other implied slams just cause people don't agree with "your" assessment. YOu ramble on acting like your posting is a literary work of art and that nobody here could understand or match your level of genius. Theres alot of smart people on here. There's some people on here that dont know as much as others or very little at all. Regardless of how much you know or how much they know there's no need to bash people the way you are doing. it Just crass and uncalled for and does not pass the Smell test.

23. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    you will not find me "hating on Tomlin" At this point I think a change of direction is needed. I've said he's a good coach. I simply think he lacks the ability to get the most out of the talent he has on this team. Should he be fired? I don't know. Maybe he needs better assistant coaches around him but if so then that's on him for not having made those changes long ago. The buck stops with the guy in charge. Either make the changes you think the team needs to make to be successful or move on. He was obviously not hired simply because he was a minority candidate. But his best years are far behind him at this point. Is it to late for him? No it's not. But if he doesn't do something to change the culture then he should be moved on. If that bothers you then we will simply have to disagree. Again. I think he's a good coach not a great one.

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Looks like we had a great HC on our team and didn't know it. Arians since leaving the steelers already has more post season wins this year than Tomlin has had in the last 10 years. He put together some good teams and won COY with mediocre QB's before this run with Brady. Turned INDY and AZ around before retiring. I can't imagine Tomlin taking over a bad team and turning them around in a year or two. Bruce has done it 3x since leaving pittsburgh. That's the difference between a good coach and a mediocre coach.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.