1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin comes out strong for Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Joshi, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    I don’t know if any of you listen to ESPN radio, but Mike Tomlin came out very strong in support of Mason Rudolph in his dispense with Myles Garrett. Tomlin even went as far as saying that Rudolph should take any necessary steps to protect himself against such slanderous allegation as using a racial slur.
    In effect, Tomlin is supporting a lawsuit against Garrett for defamation and slander.
    Think what you will about Tomlin but he believes in and backs his players.

• Like Like x 8
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice job by Tomlin....:applaud:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This is being thoroughly discussed in the "Myles Garrett" thread here on page 1. And yes, IMHO, tons of credit to MT for his public support of MR and severe doubts about MG.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If only that passion for righting wrongs carried over to fixing team performance, or lack thereof. Kudos to MT for standing up for Rudolph, but Rudolph shouldn't have been dropping back to pass on the last play of a lopsided loss. The entire situation/mess is Tomlin's fault, to begin with.

5. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I don’t disagree that there has to be accountability for team performance (W-L in regular and post season.

I believe you are saying/implying this situation is somehow Tomlin’s fault. I would have to disagree with you here. Yes, they fell behind and kept throwing, but the craziness that followed is Myle’s to own.

Edit - Tomlin does deserve credit for coming out against this (a welcome uncharacteristic move compared to his normal avoidance of the media).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That premise requires a lot of speculation, extrapolation, and imagination. If Garrett had simply stepped away, instead of hog-wrestling MR to the ground and the game ended calmly, I doubt anyone would be crucifying coaches for calling a pass play.

This mess is Garrett's fault for hog-wrestling MR to the ground in an absolutely meaning scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I will go to my grave saying this...there is absolutely nothing positive to be gained by dropping your qb back to pass on the last play of a lopsided game. Nothing. Rudolph throws an 80 yard touchdown. We still lose. Every other scenario is negative. Rudolph was harassed all game. He didn't need just one more attempt to somehow make his bludgeoning up to that point worthwhile. He couldn't change the outcome. The smart play is to run the ball, or even take a knee. Live to fight another day.

But Rudolph dropped back to pass. He shouldn't have. He didn't check out of a run because he saw press coverage and thought he could get behind it. If Tomlin had called a run or a knee, the game ends and none of what happened happens. Everything that transpired after the ball was snapped could have been avoided.

8. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I was yelling at the tv when Rudolph dropped back. I was upset with the play BEFORE it went sideways. It was a terrible call, no matter what the outcome. I've already stated it. There was NOTHING positive that could come from him dropping back to pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Hey, you never know when he might finally step into a throw and deliver a strike:cool:

I agree it was a stupid play call but we watched an entire season of that. To say that this one play call caused the attempted murder, the largest single suspension in NFL history and MR potentially suing for liable is a bit harsh....don'tcha think?

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'll give MT props for that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    You all probably know by now how i feel about Tomlin the x/o’s coach, strategist, and time manager...

but not only was the interview an amazing thing for him to do, but he sounded extremely impressive throughout. Every response was just classy, dead on, and sounding like a powerful leader.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    That's my point, though. Rudolph steps into a throw and delivers a strike for a touchdown. We still lose. He's still battered and bruised. That throw, that catch, that touchdown (that never happened) still means nothing. And I wouldn't have appreciated the call even IF he threw for a touchdown. Nothing positive could happen. But the possible negatives are countless. I'll shut up about it. It's over.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah but then we may never find out what a POS MG is....:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Get the popcorn ready this is going to get good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just a quick question somewhat related to your responses here but not really, How did you feel about Kyle Shanahan using his timeouts when the Chiefs were kneeling on the ball to end the game? I thought it was childish and for a 2nd generation coach really Bush league.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think we'd have figured it out before long.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Garrett has removed all doubt as to his complete lack of character. There are few things lower than trying to cover for such an egregious mistake by blaming the victim.
    I hope Rudolph does sue, and frankly pursued criminal charges as well. Garrett does not deserve any consideration after this most recent interview. He’s garbage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I had a similar thing happen to me at work where I was accused of calling someone and ass kisser to his face. The thing about is the guy somehow was 100 percent convinced that I accused him of this.

In a time where companies do all kinds of detailed background checks on candidates I honestly felt I was damned either way.

Luckily he decided not to talk to Human Resources but I was scared that my character was going to be assassinated by the accusation if I didnt try to defend myself via litigation.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason needs snaps, only so many a game.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Believe me, MG will prove it again.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    That one snap wasn't going to make him a competent qb, then or in the future. Nice try. ;)

22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Didn't understand the use of the timeouts there. Made no sense to me. But I wasn't angry or upset about it. It didn't create an unnecessary risk for the players by adding more snaps that couldn't change the outcome. So it was weird, but a non issue to me.

23. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    To be fair, there has been way worse timeout use pretty consistently throughout.

24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Don't have to look beyond the black and gold for that, mate. ;)

25. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Max Kellerman seems to think Garrett is a man of High Character, write Poetry and does charity work!!!!!

Cajun
    <><