1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin can't wait to run Harris' wheels off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    In fact, it was a reception in the season finale vs. Cincy where he injured his knee on a low hit over the middle.

2. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    He's ready right now for that.

3. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    It's not so much about the volume as the risk - he ended up at the bottom of several piles in a meaningless game. Zeke Elliott didn't get a carry until the 3rd preseason game as a rookie. He got 7 in that game, and that was it for the entire preaseason.

But by all means do your job and moderate if you don't think the thread is worthwhile.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess you never watched the NFL in the 70s, and the 80s, RBs got the ball 25-30 times a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No 3 down back comes off the field and receptions isn’t the same as carries.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We don’t lock those.

But by all means, keep floundering trying to justify it now ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Preseason rushing attempts by recent 1st feature backs, per the Football DB:

Elliott: 7
    Barkley: 4
    Jacobs: 4
    McCaffrey: 17
    Gurley: 0

Gurley didn't get a single carry because he was hurt, missed the start of the regular season, ran for 146 in his second game. How is that possible?

hE wAsN't ReaDy!

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think he should be under 300 carries myself maddog. Tomlin should have him right around that mark & probably aware of the 300 threshold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I know, it was rare that a back could do that for multiple seasons, but some generational guys did. Maybe Harris is one of those guys.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Breaking News: New revelation, football players get hurt, people are shocked, demand for bubblewrap skyrockets.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    When your narrative that rookie RBs "need work" in preseason is shattered, sarcasm is an easy out I guess.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Shattered :roflmao:

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

those stats are fine but a few went up. it doesn't take into account linemen injuries, if teams passed more, if teams found a second back that was as talented and he got more carries( some guys get better per game as the carries go up), were they behind so they threw more. there are many variables to those stats per year. how about if he only carries 299 times but catches another 70 passes? he's still getting tackled but they don't count as runs.

we have him for 5 years and it doesn't mean we can't draft another one in two or three years. we drafted snell, mcfarland and samuels while having conner. no reason we wouldn't keep adding a couple of guys every couple of years and weed out the others.

i'm sure ballage, snell< if kept, mcfarland<if kept, samuels< if kept, brooks-james<just added, edmunds< who MT has kept around, watt who may be used more in canada's offense, will all take some heat off of najee. right now he needs field time just as any rookie. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    So, we've moved the chains on this argument now? It's gone from "running his wheels off" to "not needing preseason work"? What will be the next regression? That he has to actually walk to the team bus? He shouldn't be practicing at all? That's where this silliness is headed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    No posts moved. I said he needed very little work and anything else was a risk for injury, a.k.a wheels coming off. Others claimed that rookie RBs needed work to get ready for the regular season, which I rebutted with several recent examples.

If Tomlin plays him in four preseason games he's playing with fire in an unprecedented fashion.

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I look at this as there is no right or wrong as I see both sides of this. I don't believe rookies need more time to learn the plays more than other players who have coaching changes or its their 1st year on a new team. Happens all the time. What isn't in the playbook is how to adjust to game speed of the higher echelon of the game. To me, that is the biggest change from college to NFL. Plays are plays but speed is a bit different and its takes some orchestration with the other members of the offense/defense to get into regular season game mode. Coaches are paid to put their team/players into winning situations and they work and observe them every day. I haven't seen one practice in all my years so I don't know what they know. Computer coaching using hindsight analytics isn't a luxury any coaches have. So, in my opinion, NH needs to get up to NFL game speed as much as his coaches say he needs. How's that for sitting on a fence?

• Like Like x 4
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Rb is maybe the easiest position to transition to in the nfl.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't have a problem with Harris getting 5-7 carries in preseason, he shouldn't play in the fourth preseason game though.

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    People used to have cranks on the front of their cars to start them, they used to wait for the afternoon paper for the latest news. They used to 3-5 TV Chanel’s without an antenna. They don’t do that anymore

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If he can't handle that then he isn't going to last long in the regular season no matter what we do with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tell that to Johnathan Taylor. Didn’t figure it out until about week 10.

One of the “easiest” positions doesn’t mean you don’t need the practice.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    It's not whether or not he can "handle" it, of course he can. You don't want him out there behind 3rd string linemen getting run into the ground by guys fighting to make the team if you can help it, though.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Was he? With 7 carries I don’t even remember when he left the game. Probably before 3rd stringers came on the field.

24. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Harris was out after the third offensive series, not quite halfway through the second.

25. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    He practices every day. He doesn't need to be tackled at full speed in practice games to play in the NFL if he's as good as advertised. I already showed you that.

BTW, Taylor ran for 100 yards in his 2nd game after having 0 preseason games.

I really don't need help proving my point, but thanks anyway.