1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin can't wait to run Harris' wheels off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Blount situation wasn't that simple. That was tampering, one of the examples of the Patriots cheating and getting away with it. They probably should have given him the ball more to spare Bell some wear and tear, but Bell was a much better back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Bell kept himself fresh by missing 5 games in two years due to drugs

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    He needs some reps. I seriously doubt he's going to get 25-30 snaps in a pre season game. Besides, you said you were taking the under at which point of the regular season, which you set at 8 1/2 games, as to when he'd be injured. Again, I ask. What is Tomlin supposed to do? If he's getting underused and Ben is throwing 45-50 times a game, you'll complain about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Cowher was much better at managing running backs than Tomlin. Actually that is a very big Tomlin weakness in the past. Cowher even had Bettis and used him the right way, with the right amount of touches. Tomlin has never used he running backs the way it should be. Agree that Harris should get touches in all pre season games, but also think some of the others like Ben and other vets should get more touches than they do in preseason, so that they don't go into the season with no playing time and showing rust for the first couple of games. Just just my thinking.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am glad you have nothing to do with the Pgh Steelers. How do you know what their plans are? Yes Najee will be heavily involved and rightfully so. But our wide receiver core and TE's are pretty good also. It is all about OL. If they can gel we will be competitive.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Since it is not a "real" game, no way to grade Harris or O-line if he plays in this game.

Wait for the Bills game to judge if this season we have a run game. Not to mention if we have pass blocking too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Did you guys miss the entire offseason, or do you think Tomlin, Colbert, Canada, Ben, et. al are just putting out a huge smoke screen and will throw the ball 40 times a game again?

Najee is going to be a huge part of this offense, no sense in adding unnecessary miles in meaningless games. This shouldn't be a controversial point.

8. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Don't risk him in the preseason and use him judiciously. I'm reminded of the blowout win over Miami in the playoffs a few years ago when a dinged Bell was still getting tossed around after the game was in hand.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He. Is. A. Rookie.

This shouldn’t be a controversial point. He needs to learn the offense, he needs to learn to recognize blitz pick ups, he needs the reps. There is no question he should play every preseason game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    It wasn’t even close to 70/30 split. Tons of games when Bell had 35 touches and his backup had 2.

11. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    At the end of the first quarter the Steelers started a drive that was 10 plays 83 yards TD. Bell got the ball all 10 plays. You are 100% correct in your statements in this thread. Everyone else just backs Tomlin regardless of facts. The Steelers were trying to beat a BACKUP QB. Bell was always hurt by the end of the year or in the playoffs because Tomlin ran his wheels off. Tomlin hurt Bell when we beat the chiefs in the playoffs also. Which is why Bell played about 3 snaps in the AFC Championship game

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So what was the percentage?

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Considering Bell was used in the passing game, 35 touches isn’t the same as 35 carries and I’m skeptical of “plenty of games with 35 touches” anyway. No offense to anyone.

The carries are probably close to 70/30, maybe 80/20 but I’d like to know. Maybe I’ll look it up later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I looked at a few games in 2016. One games was 80% bell a second game was 95% bell the third game I looked at was 100% bell a forth game was 77% bell. This was bell versus his top backup

• Like Like x 1
  15. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    The 2016 games I looked up more often than not bell had 90% or more of the rushing attempts versus his top backup. I am not adding in a WR rush or Ben rushing.

16. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Nov 20th 2016 blowout wins against the browns Bell had 28 rushing attempts the rest of the team ZERO (not a WR, QB nothing. That game was against the 0-11 Browns. The are quite a few games in 2016 that bell had 100% of all rushes attempted by a RB

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Entire game, then? More reps the better, right?

Not sure if you are aware, but they have these team sessions during camp that they refer to as "practices".

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  18. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I've been listening to 93.7 and SNR today, several analysts/hosts nervous about Najee playing in the preseason. Why wouldn't they be?

People are arguing with me in this thread, not my point.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Part of the reason Tomlin over used Bell was that it forced opposing defenses to play honest and account for a back who could break a 20 yard gain, then catch a pass on a wheel route and gain first down and then chip a defender and get the check down. I loved what Conner could do but wasn't the same threat. So the options become do you play Bell 85% of the time and hope for no injuries of do a 40-60 split with the 40% being garbage because the defense knows they don't need 9 in the box to stop who ever is running the ball.

Blount wasn't going to look good on 5 carries he needed 20 to wear defenders down. Williams was very good but again a carry here maybe 2 ten minutes later then like maybe 4 by the 4th wasn't going to be worth it. Let's face it a no point was this team with Bell anywhere close to what Denver was when they had Davis and a stable of backs who did just as much when Davis was hurt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure you aware but that’s not the same as real game experience.

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    My grade will be do they understand the principles and execute them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If he "Ki-jana Carter's" it this season I don't think it will matter if he sat for 3 preseason games.

24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Whatever about the preseason no running back can last 17 games plus a playoff run as the sole running threat, especially a rookie. Carries will have to be shared around and managed. If they don’t do that we can expect a worn down ineffective running game down the stretch.

The fact they tried to manage Chase Claypools snaps last year gives me hope they take a sensible approach with Najee. We will see

25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Well, I don't know why you'd grind on something that might not even happen. To me, as far as the regular season, all bets are off. And, no matter how Tomlin uses Harris, someone is going to be unhappy. Under use him and they miss the playoffs, there is a built in excuse to say he should have used him more. If he gets 40 touches a game and either gets hurt or is ineffective if they make the playoffs, then he used him too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1